Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 12:51 PM

6,908 posts, read 3,746,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
There are just lots of hype in NYC. I tried famous Dumbo pizza just right down the Brooklyn Bridge years ago because some one wrote article how great and awesome dumbo pizza is. Now my conclusion is that, yes , that was good and location view is nice in Dumbo. But there is no comparison to New Haven pizza. New Haven pizza is famous and best in the world.
I'm not in the loop nor do I profess any expertise in pizza consumption but what makes New Haven pizza better than NY or the world?

To me its just greasy junk food you get for a kids birthday party or a friday night when you don't feel like cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 09:00 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I'm not in the loop nor do I profess any expertise in pizza consumption but what makes New Haven pizza better than NY or the world?
Easy. The best ingredients with the hottest ovens (preferably coal, or second choice wood), the right water, and a thin crust–all assembled amazingly well.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:07 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
No wonder New Haven has such great pizza places. It has the highest percentage of Italian Americans (21%) of any US city. Jay

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...lian-americans

Old 10-16-2019, 08:31 AM

6,908 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Easy. The best ingredients with the hottest ovens (preferably coal, or second choice wood), the right water, and a thin crust–all assembled amazingly well.
So the Perfect Storm of pizza development. Thanks

Old 10-16-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
So the Perfect Storm of pizza development. Thanks
You got it.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:54 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No wonder New Haven has such great pizza places. It has the highest percentage of Italian Americans (21%) of any US city. Jay

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...lian-americans

Look at this. I researched this when I was trying to figure out why I liked Branford so much. All of my ancestors are from the Naples region. Pizza is one of the reasons my husband wants to move near New Haven in retirement lol.....there are just some things low taxes in the south can't buy.

Percentage of Italians
Branford 24%
Hamden 24%
North Haven 37%
North Branford 33%
East Haven 42% (that's amazing)

Now that is a lot of Italians to please right near (bordering) New Haven.....the pizza has to be good.

I am pretty sure that most of the Italians in Stamford (where I was born and raised), Bridgeport (one of my grandfathers first city in the US) and New Haven are from the Naples region. The pizza was basically "born" in Naples. If you want to taste pizza superior to even New Haven Pizza go to Naples and southern Italy.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:19 PM

Most Italian immigrants to the NYC area are from the Naples region. It had economic struggles (still does) and many came here looking for opportunity.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Most Italian immigrants to the NYC area are from the Naples region. It had economic struggles (still does) and many came here looking for opportunity.

Because I am mostly from the Naples region I can show everyone the path they took from Naples to the NYC area. It is not just my relatives but it shows all the people in the region and how they came in the "Ancestry DNA Story". My relatives (grandparents and great grandparents) came from the triangle in Naples, Avellino and Salerno from about 1880 to 1920. So really close to Naples.

This shows the region near Naples I am talking about. When I click on 1850 to 1875 it shows the journey they took. When I blow up the NYC area you can see there is a dark circle on the New Haven area so more people from the Naples region ended up there. Pretty fascinating.
is New Haven pizza better than NY?-naples1.jpg

Hence the great pizza in New Haven.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:18 PM

174 posts, read 106,606 times
South Norwalk had My Pi, which became Chicago Loop before it winked out. This was far better than either NY or NH.

In the NH area, I think Zuppardi's (West Haven) has traditionally been the best. JMO, YMMV.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
South Norwalk had My Pi, which became Chicago Loop before it winked out. This was far better than either NY or NH.

My relatives own Pellicci's in Stamford but my husband and I would go to My Pi in Norwalk and not tell anyone. That was my favorite pizza of all time....except for the pizza in Italy itself and my Italian nana's pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut