Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 07:27 PM

12 posts, read 7,461 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My boyfriend and I will be moving to Connecticut from Northern VA in a couple of months. My work will be in Fairfield and my boyfriend's work will be in Orange. Our budget is under 300k (preferably 250). We are looking for a family friendly area, quiet, good shopping/coffee shops/etc. (we aren't nightlife people so we don't care if the town has that), safe, accepting etc. Any suggestions on some good towns to check out? So far we have been looking into Stratford, Milford, Trumbull, Woodbridge (seems expensive),..are there any other towns we are missing that would still provide a good commute for both of us.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 07:31 PM

761 posts, read 604,562 times
Check out the Woodmont area in Milford.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:44 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Milford

Old 05-18-2017, 07:52 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novagirl1013 View Post
Hello,

My boyfriend and I will be moving to Connecticut from Northern VA in a couple of months. My work will be in Fairfield and my boyfriend's work will be in Orange. Our budget is under 300k (preferably 250). We are looking for a family friendly area, quiet, good shopping/coffee shops/etc. (we aren't nightlife people so we don't care if the town has that), safe, accepting etc. Any suggestions on some good towns to check out? So far we have been looking into Stratford, Milford, Trumbull, Woodbridge (seems expensive),..are there any other towns we are missing that would still provide a good commute for both of us.

Thank you so much!
Welcome to Connecticut !

I see that your job will be in Fairfield note to that Fairfield County/some New Haven area towns is one of most pricey areas to live in country. You can find homes around 250-280k starter home in Shelton, Stratford, Milford. Orange will be bit more than expensive than first three. All three within 20-25 mins from Fairfield expect Woodbridge I cross that off list.

Stratford- Solid Middle class town in Lower Fairfield County it more affordable than 1st tier towns west of Bridgeport, it does have shopping areas and coffee shops, family oriented neighborhoods. Schools in Stratford are not the best or not the worst they about average. One area I avoid in Stratford is Barnum ave area near Bridgeport line and Exit 30-31 area besides that rest of Stratford is fine.

Milford-- A another solid middle class town it sorta of bedroom community for Fairfield County but in different county across the river from Stratford. There are many modest single family homes (starter ranches and capes) and converted beach cottages near the miles of beaches. There is a shopping and restaurant options along the Boston Post Road and in the downtown Milford area. Milford has large mall in town with ton of stores to choose from. Schools in Milford is bit better than Stratford.

Trumbull-- A medium size upscale suburban town by Merritt Parkway the town is more rural than first two it like suburban and in woods at same time. There some nice homes and kid friendly neighborhoods in Trumbull. Trumbull have shopping mall in town which alot of stores to choose from. Trumbull is significant more expensive than Stratford and Milford. Schools in Trumbull much better than first two in terms of test scores rating.

Orange is similar to Trumbull but less expensive but more expensive than Stratford and Milford.

Milford is your town !!!

1. Milford
2. Shelton
3. Stratford
4. Monroe

Last edited by BPt111; 05-18-2017 at 08:10 PM..

Old 05-18-2017, 08:00 PM

12 posts, read 7,461 times
Thanks for all of the info!

Old 05-18-2017, 08:07 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Milford would be my first choice, then Shelton, then Stratford

Old 05-19-2017, 07:46 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Got to agree with the Milford suggestions. It seems to fit all your criteria. Jay

Old 05-19-2017, 08:02 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Check out the Woodmont area in Milford.
+1, one of my favorite neighborhoods in the state. Downtown Milford area might be good for you too, since it has the coffee shop main street quaintness, with a lot of community events.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:04 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Orange is similar to Trumbull but less expensive but more expensive than Stratford and Milford.
Orange is actually a little cheaper than Milford, pound for pound. However, there is far more smaller homes on small lots in Milford, so Milford is more attainable. If that makes sense.

Milford taxes are also lower.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:05 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Orange is actually a little cheaper than Milford, pound for pound. However, there is far more smaller homes on small lots in Milford, so Milford is more attainable. If that makes sense.

Milford taxes are also lower.
That shocking lol why is Milford more expensive than Stratford and Orange. I even see Shelton cost more Stratford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut