Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 12:10 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
This tax would raise so little money, I doubt the legislature has any interest in it.

A couple pages back I already explained how Govt accounting works. Govts have to follow the rules prescribed by the GASB this is mandatory.

If they want to move the funds they have to go thru a specific process to move funds from a reserved fund. This is why the Govt loves to put everything in the general fund because its unreserved. NO debate nor process is required.

Jay pointed out a nice work around but that's not entirely possible. The purposes of the fund have to be spelled out before its created if its a reserved fund. The purpose(s) can't be changed after the fact.

You can even see this at the local level where the town council will move funds from one account to another during public meetings in order to cover certain (sometimes unexpected) expenses. One great example would be to move more funds into a "snow removal fund" during a year with very high snow totals from the general fund.
Give it up. In one ear out the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 01:09 PM

504 posts, read 384,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
This tax would raise so little money, I doubt the legislature has any interest in it.
I'm sure there's not a dollar that the State doesn't like.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:46 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Uh, huh.

Disgusting and pathetic. My state is instigating a slew of new taxes. I wouldn't be surprised to see one like this on their list. If not yet, only because they haven't thought of it yet.
Please don't post your states new taxes on this forum, Connecticut will likely implement them. Our legislature wants to tax Connecticut to prosperity. It's never worked in history, but Connecticut is very determined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut