Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 03:23 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times

Advertisements

Tesla want to sell cars in CT but there battle with state

"Tesla’s upstart Greenwich franchise has hit a pothole, with the state Department of Motor Vehicles issuing a cease and desist order to the electric car manufacturer on its Connecticut sales."

"The DMV says that Tesla is illegally selling cars from a storefront on the town’s main shopping thoroughfare, which the Silicon Valley company refers to as a gallery.

DMV puts the brakes on Tesla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 10:33 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
This is really dumb. If I want a Tesla I can go to NY or MA and buy one. Its not going to stop CT residents from buying a Tesla nor is it going to get CT residents to spend that money on a different car brand. Which is probably what the dealers association is thinking.

What I think would be great and really funny is to build the Tesla showroom on the street in Greenwich that is half on the CT side and half on the NY side. I think this is RT 120 but I'm not sure since I'm not familiar with Greenwich.

Have the "showroom/info center" on the CT side, have the sales on the NY side. Case closed.

As an example, I know in the past on the Merritt Prky next to the NY line, at one of the rest stops they were selling cigarettes from a converted ice cream truck on the CT side, but the gas was sold on the NY side. [CT's cigarette tax is lower than NY's]

Old 05-05-2017, 10:36 AM

786 posts, read 825,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
This is really dumb. If I want a Tesla I can go to NY or MA and buy one. Its not going to stop CT residents from buying a Tesla nor is it going to get CT residents to spend that money on a different car brand. Which is probably what the dealers association is thinking.

What I think would be great and really funny is to build the Tesla showroom on the street in Greenwich that is half on the CT side and half on the NY side. I think this is RT 120 but I'm not sure since I'm not familiar with Greenwich.

Have the "showroom/info center" on the CT side, have the sales on the NY side. Case closed.

As an example, I know in the past on the Merritt Prky next to the NY line, at one of the rest stops they were selling cigarettes from a converted ice cream truck on the CT side, but the gas was sold on the NY side. [CT's cigarette tax is lower than NY's]
Yes, on King Street. Put it near the airport.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:55 AM

10,114 posts, read 14,991,435 times
Just across the border in Port Chester and on route 1 is a small commercial building for lease. Perhaps Tesla can sign a contract with the owner and have the building remodeled to allow for big windows so the cars can be seen from the street. Also to make the architecture more appealing. Across the street is a Nissan dealership and the CT/Greenwich border is a stone throw away.

Some images from Google Earth and Google Street View. The white line behind the building is the NY/CT border.

About two weeks ago I passed through there on my way to Rye and avoiding a traffic jam on I-95 and noticed the For Lease sign on that building. As far as I know, all Tesla cars are special orders, so not much room is needed for a dealership. Just the showroom to show the handful of models that company offers and enough parking for the few employees, customers, and for the cars shipped and waiting for owner pick up.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:39 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
I know this has to do with the laws here that prohibit car manufacturers from selling directly to the public. Tesla has been battling this for several years but lawmakers are refusing to budge. What they need to think about is that they are losing tax revenue if the Tesla is bought in New York. Teslas are not cheap so the more that are sold out of state to Connecticut residents, the more money they are losing. Unfortunately our lawmakers are stuck in the past. Jay

Old 05-05-2017, 04:22 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I know this has to do with the laws here that prohibit car manufacturers from selling directly to the public. Tesla has been battling this for several years but lawmakers are refusing to budge. What they need to think about is that they are losing tax revenue if the Tesla is bought in New York. Teslas are not cheap so the more that are sold out of state to Connecticut residents, the more money they are losing. Unfortunately our lawmakers are stuck in the past. Jay
That's not entirely true. If someone buys a Tesla or other brand of car and wants to register it in CT they have to pay sales tax. However, if someone has a NY address and can register there then CT wouldn't see the sales tax. I can't imagine this would effect many people though nor CT's tax coffers in the long run.

Tesla has a sub $40k car in the wings, and if Tesla can keep up with production they will be selling like crazy IMO. In turn CT will be forced to worry about the potential for lost tax revenue.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:14 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,807,164 times
This thread is a perfect example of "government is not the solution, it is the problem!"

Old 05-05-2017, 07:55 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
That's not entirely true. If someone buys a Tesla or other brand of car and wants to register it in CT they have to pay sales tax. However, if someone has a NY address and can register there then CT wouldn't see the sales tax. I can't imagine this would effect many people though nor CT's tax coffers in the long run.

Tesla has a sub $40k car in the wings, and if Tesla can keep up with production they will be selling like crazy IMO. In turn CT will be forced to worry about the potential for lost tax revenue.
The buyer would only pay sales taxes to Connecticut if the sales tax they paid was lower than our state tax. Otherwise Connecticut gets nothing. Jay

Old 05-05-2017, 08:03 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,115,027 times
It's ridiculous. Time to move on from the past.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:10 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,458,306 times
Yeah CT is a holdout on reforming the law. The simple answer is a compromise, car makers pick dealer or direct and that's it, that's where most states are now,but the dealer lobby here in CT wants it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: