Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 07:35 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
What does any of this have to do with Aetna leaving Hartford?
In case you missed it, I was replying to hvexpatinct's comment on Hartford and those contending that Hartford does not offer much which is why Aetna is considering moving its corporate headquarters. hvexpatinct said that Hartford is not the best for foodies and that there are only two restaurants they take out-of-towners to. I was pointing out a number of other restaurants in Hartford that they could go to, many of them quite good and interesting. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 07:49 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
I work in Hartford and have spent time in RTP. Not the same at all. Not even close.

I suggest you drive down Farmington in Hartford & West Hartford then if you think there's no good restaurants in Hartford county. There's at least 100 restaurants on this stretch and except for some fast food places none of them are chain restaurants.

As for hiking you have West Hartford reservoir and Hueblin tower for starters. There's also the "charter oak greenway" bicycle trail which starts/ends in Hartford & Bolton.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:50 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
In case you missed it, I was replying to hvexpatinct's comment on Hartford and those contending that Hartford does not offer much which is why Aetna is considering moving its corporate headquarters. hvexpatinct said that Hartford is not the best for foodies and that there are only two restaurants they take out-of-towners to. I was pointing out a number of other restaurants in Hartford that they could go to, many of them quite good and interesting. Jay
Aren't both comments completely off topic to the original post?

Old 06-06-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Aren't both comments completely off topic to the original post?
No, not sure why you think so. The discussion is on reasons why Aetna is considering moving out of Hartford. It is related, certainly more so than other discussions on this forum. Jay

Old 06-06-2017, 08:10 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
What does any of this have to do with Aetna leaving Hartford?
The food scene certainly is on-topic for why large corporations depart. Aetna is pretty much a fortress. You commute in at 8am and flee promptly at 5pm. If you walk north from that complex, you're in the hood. It's not like you're going to take a leisurely noon stroll up Sigourney Street for a quick lunch at a sidewalk cafe with that certain je ne sais quois ambiance.

If I'm a young high skill professional white collar worker, why would I ever pick that complex?

Old 06-06-2017, 10:52 AM

Though Aetna is considering moving its corporate headquarters out of Hartford, they are still investing in their employees here. They just opened Mindfulness Center in Hartford. Looks pretty interesting. Jay

Aetna commits to 'mindful' workplace with new Hartford center | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 06-06-2017, 11:26 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The food scene certainly is on-topic for why large corporations depart. Aetna is pretty much a fortress. You commute in at 8am and flee promptly at 5pm. If you walk north from that complex, you're in the hood. It's not like you're going to take a leisurely noon stroll up Sigourney Street for a quick lunch at a sidewalk cafe with that certain je ne sais quois ambiance.

If I'm a young high skill professional white collar worker, why would I ever pick that complex?
I completely agree with this. It's just far enough away from the eateries further east on Asylum, and Bushnell Park, to deter that kind of lunchtime strolling. There's practically nothing worth walking to, in the immediate neighborhood, and you're right if you go in the wrong direction, it ain't good.

Same thing with The Hartford, by the way. Hopefully those guys have a good cafeteria!

Old 06-06-2017, 01:49 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I suggest you drive down Farmington in Hartford & West Hartford then if you think there's no good restaurants in Hartford county. There's at least 100 restaurants on this stretch and except for some fast food places none of them are chain restaurants.

As for hiking you have West Hartford reservoir and Hueblin tower for starters. There's also the "charter oak greenway" bicycle trail which starts/ends in Hartford & Bolton.
If I could walk to the Heublein Tower or WH reservoir from Columbus Ave or Asylum, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I'm familiar with nearly every restaurant around Blue Back and WH Center. See above re: walkability but also the accessibility of that area just stinks. If I have been fighting traffic to get out of downtown the last thing I want to do is slog up Farmington or fight the poor traffic patterns from exit 43 onto Trout Brook. Specific to Aetna, a whole lot of their employees park in that Capitol Ave lot underneath 84 - nothing like driving past active drug deals to get to happy hour.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:38 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
If I could walk to the Heublein Tower or WH reservoir from Columbus Ave or Asylum, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I'm familiar with nearly every restaurant around Blue Back and WH Center. See above re: walkability but also the accessibility of that area just stinks. If I have been fighting traffic to get out of downtown the last thing I want to do is slog up Farmington or fight the poor traffic patterns from exit 43 onto Trout Brook. Specific to Aetna, a whole lot of their employees park in that Capitol Ave lot underneath 84 - nothing like driving past active drug deals to get to happy hour.
The sketchy people milling around on Farmington and Asylum in front of Aetna during business hours also detracts from walkability. On weekends, the sidewalks are empty.

I'm trying to figure out how to bicycle in the area without getting killed. It's not much of a ride to the reservoirs but I'd prefer to not get run down like a dog.

We're also trying to figure out which WH Center restaurants are the real thing and which are expensive, faux trendy paper mache versions of a good restaurant. It's almost like being in a resort town where they can get top dollar no matter what kind of food and service quality they have.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:07 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
https://www.cbia.com/news/inside-the...olicy-choices/

Good column.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut