Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2017, 11:33 PM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
NYC might be a springboard for Aetna to eventually move to the West Coast. Their brand imaging within the few weeks feels more Tech than Big Insurance. Millennials would rather live in California; much warmer and cheaper (both Millennial values, the latter from being battered during the Great Recession) than the East Coast and Tech is already there. Whether L.A. or S.F., can't go wrong with those choices!
How did you come to this conclusion? The tech sector in NYC is booming right now and is far larger than LA's, though smaller than the Bay Area's. The Bay Area has become incredibly expensive, and LA isn't that far behind. Meanwhile, both of these cities are having a difficult time building out housing units while NYC has seen a housing boom that has the city alone adding the equivalent of an entire medium-sized US city in population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 07:14 AM

785 posts, read 823,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
The economy is booming new construction in Brooklyn and Queens is instance even Harlem, Bronx is picking up little. New startups in Brooklyn every month it very hot in Brooklyn right now. The economy is stable it spread over over west river to Jersey City waterfront, Hoboken, Downtown Newark, up North to White Plains creep into Stamford. Downstate New York is doing fine, rest of New York State maybe few areas is stable and rest is struggling make come back.
NJ's government is shutting down this weekend because of budget issues. Stop making it sound like CT is the worst place on Earth.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:16 AM

785 posts, read 823,318 times
Since I dont feel like quoting all of you, here you go:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...-nearly-halved

Old 06-30-2017, 08:21 AM

413 posts, read 317,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
NJ's government is shutting down this weekend because of budget issues. Stop making it sound like CT is the worst place on Earth.
As bad as those places are, Connecticut is losing more jobs and businesses than the worst of them. Malloy has been a disaster and the Democrat legislature is even worse.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:34 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Since I dont feel like quoting all of you, here you go:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...-nearly-halved
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
As bad as those places are, Connecticut is losing more jobs and businesses than the worst of them. Malloy has been a disaster and the Democrat legislature is even worse.
you guys should chug it off

Old 06-30-2017, 04:55 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
https://www.city-journal.org/html/ae...don-15232.html

Old 06-30-2017, 05:24 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How did you come to this conclusion? The tech sector in NYC is booming right now and is far larger than LA's, though smaller than the Bay Area's. The Bay Area has become incredibly expensive, and LA isn't that far behind. Meanwhile, both of these cities are having a difficult time building out housing units while NYC has seen a housing boom that has the city alone adding the equivalent of an entire medium-sized US city in population.
Not quite.

I live in a safe, upscale neighborhood of Long Beach and pay less than $1,500 for an updated 1-bed/1-bath condo in a complex with two swimming pools, a fitness center, tennis courts, etc. My complex is located very close to several major freeways and offers excellent proximity to job centers in Long Beach, the South Bay of Los Angeles and North Orange County.

A few months ago, I entertained a job offer in Oakland and began looking at rentals in the area. It seems as if an equivalent unit to what I have now in terms of updates, amenities, etc. in Lafayette or Walnut Creek can still be had for less than $2,000/month.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:52 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Not quite.

A few months ago, I entertained a job offer in Oakland and began looking at rentals in the area. It seems as if an equivalent unit to what I have now in terms of updates, amenities, etc. in Lafayette or Walnut Creek can still be had for less than $2,000/month.
That's East Bay. Different math. Try looking for housing commutable to a tech job in Palo Alto/Mountain View/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:31 AM

I have little doubt Ct will not get its fiscal house in order, and will end up driving out most insurance jobs at some point.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:45 PM

Aetna move frames Connecticut governor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut