Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 01:33 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,262 times

Advertisements

I find it amusing when people talk about the clientele of a mall going downhill and being filled with groups of teenagers etc.
I'm pretty sure malls have always been filled with groups of teenagers and the only thing changing is you've gone from being one of them to being one of the adults that were annoyed at the kids in the mall the same way people were annoyed at us.

Then there's the other implied meaning of "downhill" which we don't even need to get into.

Last edited by basehead617; 06-03-2017 at 02:58 PM..

Old 06-03-2017, 02:09 PM

504 posts, read 384,579 times
There's no question that the internet is a major contributor to brick and mortar stores decline. Sad to see for sure, but in a way I gotta wonder if the appeal of online commerce is gonna wear off after awhile. I mean people do visually like to see the products their purchasing, and there may come a time brick and mortar will come back strong and compete. Oddly enough records are making a huge come back to the point where their outselling CDs. Go figure?

Old 06-03-2017, 02:19 PM

44 posts, read 47,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
I mean people do visually like to see the products their purchasing, and there may come a time brick and mortar will come back strong and compete.
Oh, I agree! I too like to see (and hear) the products I am buying. In the case of stereo components, it is critical. Thankfully, Take5 Stereo in New Haven and Milford Photo are still in operation. And they get my dollars. I still like to browse books before I buy. B&N in Milford gets my dollars. None of these are in an enclosed mall however.

Quote:
Oddly enough records are making a huge come back to the point where their outselling CDs. Go figure?

I still have about 300 LPs from the 60s and 70s. Merles on the Post Road in Orange is still a great source for vinyl and second hand turntables. But once again, they left the Post Mall years ago.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes View Post
Oh, I agree! I too like to see (and hear) the products I am buying. In the case of stereo components, it is critical. Thankfully, Take5 Stereo in New Haven and Milford Photo are still in operation. And they get my dollars. I still like to browse books before I buy. B&N in Milford gets my dollars. None of these are in an enclosed mall however.

I still have about 300 LPs from the 60s and 70s. Merles on the Post Road in Orange is still a great source for vinyl and second hand turntables. But once again, they left the Post Mall years ago.
Totally agree with you when it comes to purchasing electronics.
WOW!!! 300? It's funny actually seeing music from many years ago being printed on brand new vinyl. Never thought I would see that again.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:31 PM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
LOL I didn't even know Bridgeport had a mall. Anyways if I had to guess Westfield Meriden can be a possibility as they have had few major retailers leave over the years. JC Penny being one of them.
He means the Trumbull mall. Referenced it that way before. FYI - there was a mall in Bridgeport in the 60's, 70's and 80's. It was called Lafayette Plaza and was where Housatonic Community College is today. The garage for the college was built for the mall but it was larger. The anchors were Sears and Gimbels. When Gimbels went out of business, Reads a Bridgeport department store moved in. It that was wing time ago. Jay

Old 06-03-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
LOL I didn't even know Bridgeport had a mall. Anyways if I had to guess Westfield Meriden can be a possibility as they have had few major retailers leave over the years. JC Penny being one of them.
Should have added that JC Penney in Meriden was replaced by Pennsylvania retailer Boscov over a year ago. Think it is doing well there. Jay

Old 06-03-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Should have added that JC Penney in Meriden was replaced by Pennsylvania retailer Boscov over a year ago. Think it is doing well there. Jay
Oh yeah I'm aware of that. I actually prefer going to Westfield Meriden than some of the other malls.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:07 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
Danbury, CT Post (Milford), and Westfarms should be safe for a while. All of the others I could see getting put on the chopping block within the next 50 years, obviously with some (Enfield & Brass City for example) having a shorter shelf life than the others.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:11 AM

Does anyone think Stamford Town Center will close if the So No Shops get built? Jay

Old 06-04-2017, 10:37 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT
According to a new report by Credit Suisse, between 20% and 25% of the malls in America will close in the next 5 years. Connecticut does not have a lot of malls and has pretty much always been thought to be "under-retailed" in comparison to other parts of the country. That said, do you think that 20% of the malls here will close. If so, which ones? The only mall I can think of that is struggling is Enfield Square since its anchors have left. All of the others seem to be doing well. In fact, Connecticut seems to be going against this trend with the proposed mall in Norwalk. Will that get built? What do you think? Jay
I have only been to Buckland Mall Jay and I love that one!!

When I go visit my relatives I go there........ I do hope your right and that one stays JUST LIKE IT IS!!

I didnt realise Enfield isnt doing well.... I hope they somehow pull thru!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut