Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:00 AM

25 posts, read 28,697 times

Advertisements

East Norwalk elementary schools absolutely do not suck - Wolfpit and Cranbury are very solid schools (I know children in both schools). Marvin is also great, from what I hear from a parent whose child just attended within the past 2 years.Your kids are not even in school yet, and I'm not sure what critieria you are using to make this judgment. If you're happy, I would stay put until your kids are near middle school, then move.

Also, this may be something that is icky to hear but consider that if you move, at an 830k house budget you may be pushing your kids into a school system where they may be the "poor kids" in that town. Sorry but this is truth, and absolutely something to consider. Your children can get a very well rounded free education up until middle school in East Norwalk. After that, move to another town and be prepared to pay for your middle schooler to keep up with the Joneses. Until then, enjoy the water, have barbecues with your lovely neighbors, and save money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 10:01 AM

417 posts, read 597,648 times
Fairfield and Wilton are your best bets.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:26 PM

21,626 posts, read 27,915,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayTJY6 View Post
East Norwalk elementary schools absolutely do not suck - Wolfpit and Cranbury are very solid schools (I know children in both schools). Marvin is also great, from what I hear from a parent whose child just attended within the past 2 years.Your kids are not even in school yet, and I'm not sure what critieria you are using to make this judgment. If you're happy, I would stay put until your kids are near middle school, then move.

Also, this may be something that is icky to hear but consider that if you move, at an 830k house budget you may be pushing your kids into a school system where they may be the "poor kids" in that town. Sorry but this is truth, and absolutely something to consider. Your children can get a very well rounded free education up until middle school in East Norwalk. After that, move to another town and be prepared to pay for your middle schooler to keep up with the Joneses. Until then, enjoy the water, have barbecues with your lovely neighbors, and save money.
Great advice. Westport is especially competitive with the Joneses mentality. Fairfield much less so, and EN is very low key.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:51 PM

34,808 posts, read 56,697,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayTJY6 View Post

The problem that many parents then face is ripping their kids away from their friends and neighbors by moving to a different town. I can understand a parent wanting to move to the town they are going to live in at least until all of their children finish school. DW and I felt the same way. Jay

Old 06-06-2017, 04:40 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,167,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The problem that many parents then face is ripping their kids away from their friends and neighbors by moving to a different town. I can understand a parent wanting to move to the town they are going to live in at least until all of their children finish school. DW and I felt the same way. Jay
Outdated olden days thinking. The days of lifetime neighborhood friends are long gone. It's all playdayes now. People are more mobile now and move all the time for various reasons, job transfers, relo packages, so on. Some stay, some go.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:55 PM

34,808 posts, read 56,697,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Outdated olden days thinking. The days of lifetime neighborhood friends are long gone. It's all playdayes now. People are more mobile now and move all the time for various reasons, job transfers, relo packages, so on. Some stay, some go.
Sorry but it is still the same. Parents want stability for their kids as much today as they did just a few years ago when my kids were that age. It may not work out that way but it is what most parents aspire to provide. Jay

Old 06-06-2017, 06:15 PM

14,022 posts, read 13,838,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Great advice. Westport is especially competitive with the Joneses mentality. Fairfield much less so, and EN is very low key.

Westport is snobby Fairfield is little but not that bad like Westport but more down to earth

Old 06-07-2017, 05:32 AM

3,434 posts, read 3,926,558 times
Keeping up with kids who move out of town in difficult IME. Even with the playdates, they grow apart and make new friends, especially when attending different schools. There are only so many hours in the day.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:21 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,167,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sorry but it is still the same. Parents want stability for their kids as much today as they did just a few years ago when my kids were that age. It may not work out that way but it is what most parents aspire to provide. Jay
I suppose so. Not sure how it is up there, but around this region there's so much turnover on a regular basis. People coming from out west, the midwest, expats, in an out all the time. Most of the one's who just stay are the local yocal idiots like myself.
I was referring to playdates with kids in the same school, not with ones who move away. Moms always texting each other setting up playdates at someones house. There's very little neighborhood interaction anymore around here (i don't know up there), everyone's worried about abductions and predators.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 530 times
Balancing time horizon, public schools and commute is what it's going to come down to. As suggested by Allany, Greenwich, Darien (I'd throw New Canaan in the mix too albeit far) and Westport have all three factors going for them but at <=$830k (and in that order) are realistically less plausible. Westport and Fairfield (also in that order of preference) take the cake next if you're willing to sacrifice the commuting part. Wilton/Weston would, in my opinion, come next but commute becomes a factor in exchange for schools and value. Rowayton (aka Norwalk) is a known commodity to you, so the next obvious alternative is Stamford's Shippan neighborhood; unlike Greenwich and Darien, also checks all your boxes including schools (magnet elementary + middle school are not up to Greenwich and Darien's standards but certainly not bottom of the barrel either) .... decisions, decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut