Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 11:23 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times

Advertisements

I really resent folks sitting behind and honking at those who actually obey the "No Turn on Red" signs. It's one thing if they want to disobey a law, but don't force others to.

Last edited by htfdcolt; 06-06-2017 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 04:30 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
The worst is people who sit there and there is no sign and no cars coming. They either turn after you beep or wait for green.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:37 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Neither have I, but I know someone that has.
So do I. Yours truly. Cop nabbed me downtown about 15 years ago.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:16 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
The worst is people who sit there and there is no sign and no cars coming. They either turn after you beep or wait for green.
I won't beep at people but I have crept on them when they literally sit there with nobody coming and wait it out. Then when the light goes green they still sit and wait probably to frustrate me at that point.

Perfect example of an unnecessary no turn on red is the 139/80 intersection in North Branford. They just finished redoing the entire area with new lines, wider lanes, etc. Then they throw up a no turn on red sign for those on 80 looking to turn to 139. So I am now sitting on 80, looking downhill for a quarter mile with perfectly clear sight lines and not allowed to make my turn. This is a place that could have done very well with a rotary setup instead. I admit I still turn on red after a quick cop check, and yes I have been pulled over for turning on red but fought the ticket and won.

The short story is that the light has a turn arrow that is green/yellow/red. However some cycles go from green to red without a yellow, and this is when you are traveling downhill on a smooth turn that requires little slow down. So when approaching the light which is green at about 25-30 for the turn it suddenly flips red I'm not jamming my car to a stop. I sat there the next day and took video of the signalling to prove the green/red flip that happens apparently at random and it was let go. The town/state still has yet to fix it because it's probably a revenue generator.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:51 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I won't beep at people but I have crept on them when they literally sit there with nobody coming and wait it out. Then when the light goes green they still sit and wait probably to frustrate me at that point.

Perfect example of an unnecessary no turn on red is the 139/80 intersection in North Branford. They just finished redoing the entire area with new lines, wider lanes, etc. Then they throw up a no turn on red sign for those on 80 looking to turn to 139. So I am now sitting on 80, looking downhill for a quarter mile with perfectly clear sight lines and not allowed to make my turn. This is a place that could have done very well with a rotary setup instead. I admit I still turn on red after a quick cop check, and yes I have been pulled over for turning on red but fought the ticket and won.

The short story is that the light has a turn arrow that is green/yellow/red. However some cycles go from green to red without a yellow, and this is when you are traveling downhill on a smooth turn that requires little slow down. So when approaching the light which is green at about 25-30 for the turn it suddenly flips red I'm not jamming my car to a stop. I sat there the next day and took video of the signalling to prove the green/red flip that happens apparently at random and it was let go. The town/state still has yet to fix it because it's probably a revenue generator.
As I said before, there are reasons that No Turn on Red signs are placed at intersections. In the case of Route 22/80 at Route 139 it is likely because of the odd alignment of the Great Hill Road approach to the intersection and the accident history there. You could always contact the town's legal traffic authority and request it be changed.

It bothers me that the signal is skipping the yellow clearance time. There is a built in safety component that should be preventing it from happening. That is a state signal so it is the state that has to fix it, not the town. How long ago did you report this and who did you report it to? If it has been more than a week or two, you might try calling either the CTDOT District 3 office in New Haven or the Office of State Traffic Administration in Newington. They are usually pretty responsive to something like this which is a safety issue. Jay

Old 06-07-2017, 09:21 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post

Do you know if this intersection is controlled by cameras ? I've seen the same traffic light malfunction at the intersection of Main St + Myrtle St in Downtown New Britain. I know the New Britain intersection is controlled by cameras. (you can see them on top of the pole that the lights hang from)

Old 06-07-2017, 11:32 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Do you know if this intersection is controlled by cameras ? I've seen the same traffic light malfunction at the intersection of Main St + Myrtle St in Downtown New Britain. I know the New Britain intersection is controlled by cameras. (you can see them on top of the pole that the lights hang from)
Those cameras do not control the signal. They just send the controller a message that a vehicle is at the approach, the same way those detectors cut into the road do. They would not cause the yellow to be skipped. Jay

Old 06-07-2017, 01:44 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Those cameras do not control the signal. They just send the controller a message that a vehicle is at the approach, the same way those detectors cut into the road do. They would not cause the yellow to be skipped. Jay
That's something you come to learn pretty quick when you ride a motorcycle lol

Old 06-07-2017, 02:08 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Something is causing the yellows to be skipped. Like I said before I've seen a traffic light malfunction before when it had cameras. The cameras are in the "left turn lane" This is supposed to over come the issue of motorcycles or even bicycles that aren't heavy enough to trip the wire in the intersection. West Hartford has these cameras too at the intersection of Farmington Ave & North Main St.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
That's something you come to learn pretty quick when you ride a motorcycle lol
I've sat at plenty of lights that wouldn't change for me while on a motorcycle. One thing you can do if its safe. If the intersection has a "walk signal" go hit the walk button. That will reset the entire intersection almost always.

Some states (Not CT of course) actually allow motorcycles to turn left on red after waiting at the intersection for a couple of cycles.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:00 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Some states (Not CT of course) actually allow motorcycles to turn left on red after waiting at the intersection for a couple of cycles.
Ha! Yeah, I used to wait two cycles and just go if it was safe. In those two cycles, I was hoping a car would show up... which I would promptly tell them to move up by waving them in. Some cars won't listen though lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut