Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 10:11 AM

20 posts, read 27,798 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I recently moved to Stamford and I find that when I need to make a right turn and the light is red, and there's a 'No Turn on Red' sign people still honk at me to turn if traffic is light.

Am I missing something, should I be turning? Are those signs only valid for a certain time of day? Or are these people just impatient?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 10:15 AM

786 posts, read 824,099 times
Just impatient. Be careful as there are traffic cameras all over Stamford.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:16 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
They're impatient. The signs are valid all day. That said, I've never seen anyone pulled over for a right on red in violation.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:41 AM

10,086 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
They're impatient. The signs are valid all day. That said, I've never seen anyone pulled over for a right on red in violation.
Neither have I, but I know someone that has.

Sometimes a lane would have the hybrid arrows (one facing forward and another one facing towards the right.) In those types of intersections and lanes I tend to just wait out the traffic light without putting my turn signal until about the end. It definitely causes a drop in the amount of people that honk their horns at me because they think I'm going straight, but once the light turns green or if I notice the other traffic light is on yellow and about to turn red, I put the turning signal and they don't have time to honk anything.

There are a lot of type A personality people in this area, a good chunk tend to be New Yorkers.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:31 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times
No turn on reds can be pretty pointless just as no left on red arrows. It congests, blocks traffic flow, and is meant for people who cannot judge appropriately or safely when to go. That being said I obey them but there are plenty I encounter daily that are a complete waste of time.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:33 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
No turn on reds can be pretty pointless just as no left on red arrows. It congests, blocks traffic flow, and is meant for people who cannot judge appropriately or safely when to go. That being said I obey them but there are plenty I encounter daily that are a complete waste of time.
The vast majority are in place as a result of studies that determine it's not safe to go when other traffic has a green light. To the lay person, it might appear pointless, but they are usually not.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:54 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Next time roll your window down and stick the finger up ...... at the sign!
Talking about pointing to the No Turn On Red Sign!

Don't do it unless the sign says no turn on red during school hours and its before or after the hours.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:06 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohshrit View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently moved to Stamford and I find that when I need to make a right turn and the light is red, and there's a 'No Turn on Red' sign people still honk at me to turn if traffic is light.

Am I missing something, should I be turning? Are those signs only valid for a certain time of day? Or are these people just impatient?

Thanks!
This has happened to me several times. Most often at the corner of Mohawk & N. Main in West Hartford. What makes that intersection bad for this impatience is that the "No Turn on Red" sign is hidden behind branches, and no one other than the first driver at the intersection can see it readily (other than in winter).

Oh, and I've definitely been pulled over for violating a "No Turn on Red", but it was in the Cleveland area, not around here.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:18 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post

Got pulled over for it in MA, but just got a warning.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:19 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The vast majority are in place as a result of studies that determine it's not safe to go when other traffic has a green light. To the lay person, it might appear pointless, but they are usually not.
You are correct. These signs are not just arbitrarily placed. The towns and state look at a number of things before placing a No Turn on Red at an intersection including sight lines from the approach and accident history. IF a driver can not see approaching vehicles for a sufficient distance or if there is a high rate of accidents at the intersection, the town or state will place the signs. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut