Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:27 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,526 times

Advertisements

Awesome to hear, best wishes, Kid!! You will be a long distance, CT poster, like myself

Old 06-09-2017, 03:56 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Awesome to hear, best wishes, Kid!! You will be a long distance, CT poster, like myself
Hope you're enjoying LA!

Old 06-09-2017, 05:04 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Hope you're enjoying LA!
Thank you! Very much so, so far! I went from knowing no one, to having a fantastic group of girl friends. They have all the inside scoop, so we've been doing so much--from trendy restaurants (Catch LA is WAY better than Catch NY!) to the beach and mini trips (Napa!) I'm actually moving, just around the corner, when my lease is up, too--going to be saving some money, so I can travel--although I've been doing a bit of that, already

Can't wait to hear about your adventures!

Old 06-09-2017, 08:02 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,090 times
So impressed by people who can make that decision with family in tow. I have spent years trying to decide what to do, and I'm on my own! I'm actually hoping that I will be able to move TO Connectucut eventually. As high as the cost of living is in CT, in my personal experience, NY has been much more expensive in terms of what I'm looking for. Thanks for sharing your reasons and your perspective.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:12 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
So impressed by people who can make that decision with family in tow. I have spent years trying to decide what to do, and I'm on my own! I'm actually hoping that I will be able to move TO Connectucut eventually. As high as the cost of living is in CT, in my personal experience, NY has been much more expensive in terms of what I'm looking for. Thanks for sharing your reasons and your perspective.

Do it. I have met very few people who made a move and regretted it. Most people find a move rewarding and enriching in life (even if they eventually reverse the move and despite adjusting to a new place being difficult at times).

I cannot imagine going through life without experiencing a few different places to live. Lack of such experience is seriously constricting to one's perspective on things. Without actually going out and experiencing different things how do you learn things and see things from different perspectives? - TV? Books?. Travel is important but it's not immersive like living somewhere and can only go so far to broaden one's mind.

So go out and experience big city life, country life, Southern life, Northern life, out west, different country...

Old 06-11-2017, 05:58 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Do it. I have met very few people who made a move and regretted it. Most people find a move rewarding and enriching in life (even if they eventually reverse the move and despite adjusting to a new place being difficult at times).

I cannot imagine going through life without experiencing a few different places to live. Lack of such experience is seriously constricting to one's perspective on things. Without actually going out and experiencing different things how do you learn things and see things from different perspectives? - TV? Books?. Travel is important but it's not immersive like living somewhere and can only go so far to broaden one's mind.

So go out and experience big city life, country life, Southern life, Northern life, out west, different country...
Definitely agree, just have to pull the switch! I grew up in Colorado and moved to NYS when I was 20. Now, many years later, I'm in a job and company I love, but will have to have a good mix of planning and luck to get a transfer. Fortunately, my previous career involved a lot of travel t/o CT, and wasn't too hard of a commute from my home in upstate NY. I was able to fall in love with a different part of CT every week. But having spent time in VA and TN, gotta say, I'm a little jealous of Kid!

Old 06-11-2017, 06:21 PM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post

I cannot imagine going through life without experiencing a few different places to live. Lack of such experience is seriously constricting to one's perspective on things. ..
I couldn't agree more. I enjoyed my years in Ct, NY during college, and Tn. This is a terrific country, with a tremendously diverse set of states. I'd encourage as many as possible to experience as much as possible of it.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:16 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Center city Philadelphia, Downtown and Inner Harbor Baltimore, D.C your mini NYC playground.
I'd suggest staying away from MD. Baltimore is Bridgeport on steroids - the only employment lies in institutions who can't leave, such as University; Hospitals; police stations. May be neck and neck in homicide stats. MD (the state) approaches CT in its embrace of "social justice" and handouts for illegal aliens.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:41 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
I'd suggest staying away from MD. Baltimore is Bridgeport on steroids - the only employment lies in institutions who can't leave, such as University; Hospitals; police stations. May be neck and neck in homicide stats. MD (the state) approaches CT in its embrace of "social justice" and handouts for illegal aliens.
I've heard the same about Maryland. I've been told by many to avoid Maryland with the exception of a few suburbs, like Bethesda or Potomac - both of which are out of our price range.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:08 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,202,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Literally - everything. Right down to the weekly grocery bills, monthly utilities, gas to/from the community we're looking at, etc.
I don't doubt that. You did that for the poster from North Dakota, let alone for yourself. Many people here have been expressing comments in a reductionist way, i.e. individual things detached from the whole picture.

You have looked at this in a holistic way. Good for you. Not good for the CT forum if it loses an interesting and active poster.

Last edited by JayCT; 06-13-2017 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Removed calling out of moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut