Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:49 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What the heck is wrong with you??? Do you not get that you have done NOTHING to prove your worth to any company? Your employment history looks bad, PERIOD. There are NO excuses. NONE. You got fired from your last job because of attitude. You walked away from the one before that after only a couple of years. You had multiple jobs before that that you left after short periods of time. Do you not see this? Also, you have done nothing outside your job for your career which is why networking has done nothing for you. The fact is that MOST people find good jobs by networking. Unfortunately whether you like it or not that is what you have to do today to get ahead in the real world. You cannot just do your job and walk away. You have to pay some dues that you refuse to pay. Now you have to live with the consequences. Everyone here has said the same thing yet you still keep whining and crying. GROW UP and stop being a baby. I have said this before, if you were my kid, I would have smacked the crap put of you. Jay
Oh shush.

Explain to me why then, all of these companies are interested in phone interviewing me this week because they say I have great experience that could be of great worth to their department. Explain to me why many recruiters are willing to work with me, because despite the unstable history, there is a lot of good content on there. Most of the job changes were NOT my fault. Yes, they WERE the employers' fault. I can't help it that I got laid off in 2009 along with 1,100 employees. I can't help it that I got laid off a few months ago due to lack of work available for my role. And like I said, I am ENTITLED to change jobs a few times during an 11 year period, just like ANYONE ELSE who is young would do so. It's NORMAL.

Networking, as I mentioned, is more of value to those who are already employed, because networking is an ongoing thing. Networking is something that just happens. It's not really something that you just do any day because you feel like it. It comes naturally. I do have a network, albeit minimal. But I have always, always, ALWAYS been able to find a job WITHOUT networking. Millions and millions of other people have done the same. So stop shoving it down my throat, because there are other methods other than networking in which many people find employment as well.

If you were my dad, I would have spit in your face ten times by now.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:56 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Oh shush.

Explain to me why then, all of these companies are interested in phone interviewing me this week because they say I have great experience that could be of great worth to their department. Explain to me why many recruiters are willing to work with me, because despite the unstable history, there is a lot of good content on there. Most of the job changes were NOT my fault. Yes, they WERE the employers' fault. I can't help it that I got laid off in 2009 along with 1,100 employees. I can't help it that I got laid off a few months ago due to lack of work available for my role. And like I said, I am ENTITLED to change jobs a few times during an 11 year period, just like ANYONE ELSE who is young would do so. It's NORMAL.

Networking, as I mentioned, is more of value to those who are already employed, because networking is an ongoing thing. Networking is something that just happens. It's not really something that you just do any day because you feel like it. It comes naturally. I do have a network, albeit minimal. But I have always, always, ALWAYS been able to find a job WITHOUT networking. Millions and millions of other people have done the same. So stop shoving it down my throat, because there are other methods other than networking in which many people find employment as well.

Please relax nep you didn't have to say that last sentence, Jay was giving you tough love whether you agree with it or not.

Yes some wasn't your fault, but in hindsight you should have never left that position in FF county as I recall was very good to you imo.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:24 PM

898 posts, read 598,017 times
NEP, It's apparent to me that this job that you seek really no longer exists, at least here in CT, and not at the "senior level" that you seek. Instead of handling that work "in-house", the big firms farm the work out to accounting firms, or, in some instances, they can get 2 or 3 H1B visa employees for the cost of one "Senior" guy.

Options:
Go into business for yourself doing the corporate tax work that you know, then find 5-10 smaller companies who need your skills, just not on a full time basis, only a few days per month.

Move to where the economy is booming (it sure isn't here), and find the type of work that you know how to do.

Find something else to do for work, if you HAVE to stay in CT...

Just an FYI, I got downsized on New Year's Eve 3.5 years ago....I was 50 and got replaced by a kid still in college.... I looked around, saw my only option was find something else to do or go into business for myself....so I'm in business, not making much, but I also ended up taking care of an elderly parent which eats up half of my week.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:42 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
NEP, It's apparent to me that this job that you seek really no longer exists, at least here in CT, and not at the "senior level" that you seek. Instead of handling that work "in-house", the big firms farm the work out to accounting firms, or, in some instances, they can get 2 or 3 H1B visa employees for the cost of one "Senior" guy.
Yup. My company uses a self employed consultant who is in our office maybe 2 days a week. The same thing is happening in other fields. Human Resources and IT both come to mind. Why pay in house staff fully burdened rates with benefits and all the headaches of a full time employee when you can farm the work out.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:43 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Oh shush.

The truth hurts doesn't it? Everyone here says the same thing and has been saying it to you for years now but you refuse to listen. The reason you can't find a job here in Connecticut is that if one does come up, it is filled by someone who has networked with others already. The job does not even get to the point where it is sent to recruiters or headhunters. It does not have to. That is why networking is so important. It is too late for that now though. Despite what you think I do wish you well and hope that you find the job you want. I would just suggest you not be so picky like you have been in the past. Jay

Old 06-08-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
The truth hurts doesn't it? Everyone here says the same thing and has been saying it to you for years now but you refuse to listen. The reason you can't find a job here in Connecticut is that if one does come up, it is filled by someone who has networked with others already. The job does not even get to the point where it is sent to recruiters or headhunters. It does not have to. That is why networking is so important. It is too late for that now though. Despite what you think I do wish you well and hope that you find the job you want. I would just suggest you not be so picky like you have been in the past. Jay
Okay Jay, but you have to understand that networking works better for those who are already employed and have the luxury of passively looking for a new job. Contrast that to me, an unemployed person, who needs a job ASAP. In my situation, the value of networking is more limited, because I don't have the luxury of waiting until a position comes up somewhere. I need something right now. But what does it matter? I have no problem finding a job via direct application or recruiters. Recruitment is big business and millions of people are places in quality jobs with great companies all the time via recruitment. Working with recruiters is also a way of "networking," you know, and many of them have access to many jobs that may not exists within my network. An all of the above job search strategy is best. And I'm not denying the value of networking, but I am telling you that it's not as critical as one may think. You can do what works for you and I'll do what works for me. But even then, I do have a small network. They know I'm unemployed. But they don't have any knowledge of any jobs available for me. That's just the way it is.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:34 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:

Anyway, working hours and PTO is irrelevant to the solution to the problem brought up in the initial post of this thread.
A Ct job is extremely unlikely to happen for you. Get reconciled to that reality.

Most importantly, get one face to face interview..anywhere.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
What the heck is wrong with you??? Do you not get that you have done NOTHING to prove your worth to any company? Your employment history looks bad, PERIOD. There are NO excuses. NONE. You got fired from your last job because of attitude. You walked away from the one before that after only a couple of years. You had multiple jobs before that that you left after short periods of time. Do you not see this? Also, you have done nothing outside your job for your career which is why networking has done nothing for you. The fact is that MOST people find good jobs by networking. Unfortunately whether you like it or not that is what you have to do today to get ahead in the real world. You cannot just do your job and walk away. You have to pay some dues that you refuse to pay. Now you have to live with the consequences. Everyone here has said the same thing yet you still keep whining and crying. GROW UP and stop being a baby. I have said this before, if you were my kid, I would have smacked the crap put of you. Jay
Great post.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Oh shush.

Explain to me why then, all of these companies are interested in phone interviewing me this week because they say I have great experience that could be of great worth to their department. Explain to me why many recruiters are willing to work with me, because despite the unstable history, there is a lot of good content on there. Most of the job changes were NOT my fault. Yes, they WERE the employers' fault. I.

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...red-month.html

Columbus firing was YOUR fault. Lets hyperlink that thread to provide some context.

6 jobs in 11 years = serial job hopper.

Recruiters always have tax jobs in Ct. Many do not go on job boards. But they can't present candidates with that many jobs in so short a time. They are not after insignificant phone screens. They present who might actually get hired. If its two with comparable experience, one with stable history, the other has no true shot. My last 3 corps, over 20 years, we'd interview no one who had not averaged 5 years at each job.

Financial Analysts jobs go to those with prior experience, and a steady, long-term duration job history.

You are going to get phone interviews, but just in hyper hot economies, like Columbus, Ohio, where labor supply locally is inadequate. Seize that opportunity. Stay at least 5 years. Then try Ct again.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 06-08-2017 at 05:55 PM..

Old 06-08-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
A Ct job is extremely unlikely to happen for you. Get reconciled to that reality.

Most importantly, get one face to face interview..anywhere.
But a CT job could happen. I'm a local candidate, here. That's a huge advantage for me. Employers prefer local candidates.

I just had my Denver interview today and it went great. I had really good vibes and the role was very appealing to me, as well as the company. So I am going to send a thank you note to the interviewer tonight to express my continued interest.

Tomorrow, I have a phone interview with the hiring managers at a company in Columbus, GA. Then right after that, a phone interview with the hiring manager for the job in Columbus, OH. I'm a bit weary about the Columbus, OH job though. The building is located very, very close to the company that terminated me two years ago. And the manager's name is the SAME first name as the manager who fired me. So I am contemplating withdrawing my candidacy after the phone interview, if invited to a real interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut