Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 02:29 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Where are these numerous articles? Let me tell you, a couple of years back I decided to change jobs. Within one month I had 12 interviews and 2 solid job offers for significantly more than I was making. The reason? Because I was well known through networking. I was involved in multiple professional groups and my name was well known. I now have a wonderful job for a great company and always getting inquires about changing jobs again. That would not have been the case had I had your attitude.

Oh yeah, I also worked hard at my job and was flexible working overtime when needed but still managed to be home for dinner with my kids, go to their games and school activities and have time for hobbies and my interests. You just need to earn this first since despite what you think or want, it is not a given. Jay
Yes, there's a progression in most industries in which one way or another, the person with lesser seniority has to pay his dues either by working more hours, taking the bad shifts, etc. It depends on the industry, but no industry that offers upward financial mobility lacks a system like that. If you don't pay your dues when you're younger, you'll be stuck working in bad situations when you are older and less able to deal with it.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:57 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Yes, there's a progression in most industries in which one way or another, the person with lesser seniority has to pay his dues either by working more hours, taking the bad shifts, etc. It depends on the industry, but no industry that offers upward financial mobility lacks a system like that. If you don't pay your dues when you're younger, you'll be stuck working in bad situations when you are older and less able to deal with it.
Correct. And you don't get to collect from dues job #1, if your resume is a train wreck of short tenure stuff, with firings, from jobs 2-6.

Job 1 helps you get job 2, may help with 3. Does not help you get job 7.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:38 PM

285 posts, read 224,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Eh, who knows. Maybe it won't happen. This company seems like it might have a workaholic culture, which is an absolute no in my book.
Aren't you the guy who got fired for playing with his phone and coming in whenever? So you want a job where you can be lazy and do whatever you want, whenever you want and get paid big bucks for it? Good luck with that.

No offense, but that is why you are having so many issues keeping a job. Employers don't like flakes.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:08 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
So it appears that if I drive to work in Stamford for this company, I would have to pay about $100 per month for parking. But how much does a monthly Metro North commuter pass cost? Also, is parking free at every Metro North train station?

Old 06-17-2017, 10:37 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
So it appears that if I drive to work in Stamford for this company, I would have to pay about $100 per month for parking. But how much does a monthly Metro North commuter pass cost? Also, is parking free at every Metro North train station?
MTA.info has all the info you need

There's no such thing as free parking. Some are cheaper than others. I pay $275 a year in Milford, and that's cheap. Permit waiting passes at some stations are 4-5 years.

Sometimes it's just better to be within walking distance if you can.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
MTA.info has all the info you need

There's no such thing as free parking. Some are cheaper than others. I pay $275 a year in Milford, and that's cheap. Permit waiting passes at some stations are 4-5 years.

Sometimes it's just better to be within walking distance if you can.
Sounds awful. I'd rather pay the $100 a month for the parking garage near the company's building.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:21 AM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:

Milford-Stamford $113.50

Biggest issue driving is the time it takes. Plan on every morning gridlock for the last several miles. From the train, at various stages, its possible to see the highway, and I am grateful not to have to drive I95 in that direction.

If you get hired, you need to be on time every day, which means adding time for gridlock. Lots of it often.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:07 AM

712 posts, read 541,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Milford-Stamford $113.50

Biggest issue driving is the time it takes. Plan on every morning gridlock for the last several miles. From the train, at various stages, its possible to see the highway, and I am grateful not to have to drive I95 in that direction.

If you get hired, you need to be on time every day, which means adding time for gridlock. Lots of it often.
Milford to Stamford driving, last time in peak hours in 95 was about 2 hours for me, one way.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:31 AM

I am not considering anything farther than Fairfield, in that direction. Having lived in Norwalk and worked in Stamford before, it took a LONG time just to drive to Norwalk, which was a mere 8 miles away. I can handle Westport or Fairfield , but nothing beyond that.

I've been spending a lot of time looking at apartments online and I feel pretty confident that I will find something that suits me good enough. Stamford and Norwalk seem to have plenty of options, and even a few houses or sections of houses for rent in places like Greenwich, New Canaan, Ridgefield and Westport.

Westchester has quite a few options, too, but the apartments tend to be more cramped/compact, with more challenging parking situations. But I've also been looking in upper Westchester County and see some decent places at decent prices in places like Bedford, Mount Kisco or Mount Pleasant.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:42 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
Fairfield is where the traffic begins... I drove down last week around 730 to get a 1030 flight at HPN. I didn't get to HPN until 915..

Traffic was HORRENDOUS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut