Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:15 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

So guess what. I landed my first, one and only in-person interview with a company in downtown Stamford, very close to the train station, on Monday. After 3 months of looking for a job, I can't believe this is the first real on-site interview I landed. Of all places.....Stamford....again. Of course, no offer is guaranteed, but the potential is there.

All week long, I have been mentally preparing myself for the housing/commuting situation there, which is extremely challenging. This time around, I am going to be more flexible with commuting distance, commuting methods and the cities/towns in which I would consider living in. My rent budget is a maximum of $1,900 per month. I would prefer an updated 2 bedroom unit in a safe, QUIET location, but will settle for a 1 bedroom unit if a 2 bd is not feasible. I do not want to be in a situation where I am living right next to a busy road again or hearing my neighbors through the walls and ceilings all over again like my depressing place in Norwalk was.

It appears that Norwalk is still the best bang for the buck, even though it's still expensive. I am willing to commute as far as from Fairfield to the east and Ridgefield to the north, within CT. I am also willing to commute as far south as from Queens/Bronx or practically anywhere in Westchester County or even right across the Hudson river. I remember doing day trips in northern Westchester County or anywhere along the Hudson River and absolutely love that area. It's scenic and quiet, but rental inventory could be a challenge to find. I would also potentially be able to avoid I-95 or the Merritt if I can commute down from places like Bedford, Mount Kisco and stuff like that. I know that NY has higher income and sales tax, but it's pretty marginal (only a few hundred dollars per year) and NY has no motor vehicle property tax.

So yeah, this could happen

Old 06-16-2017, 05:25 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Norwalk

Old 06-16-2017, 05:25 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Rentals in White Plains 15 minutes drive no traffic, New Rochelle 30 minutes drive no traffic. Or even Mamaroneck, Pleasantville, Harrison would work. Not sure though why you need 2 bedrooms. You're alone, no?

Old 06-16-2017, 05:29 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So guess what. I landed my first, one and only in-person interview with a company in downtown Stamford, very close to the train station, on Monday. After 3 months of looking for a job, I can't believe this is the first real on-site interview I landed. Of all places.....Stamford....again. Of course, no offer is guaranteed, but the potential is there.

All week long, I have been mentally preparing myself for the housing/commuting situation there, which is extremely challenging. This time around, I am going to be more flexible with commuting distance, commuting methods and the cities/towns in which I would consider living in. My rent budget is a maximum of $1,900 per month. I would prefer an updated 2 bedroom unit in a safe, QUIET location, but will settle for a 1 bedroom unit if a 2 bd is not feasible. I do not want to be in a situation where I am living right next to a busy road again or hearing my neighbors through the walls and ceilings all over again like my depressing place in Norwalk was.

It appears that Norwalk is still the best bang for the buck, even though it's still expensive. I am willing to commute as far as from Fairfield to the east and Ridgefield to the north, within CT. I am also willing to commute as far south as from Queens/Bronx or practically anywhere in Westchester County or even right across the Hudson river. I remember doing day trips in northern Westchester County or anywhere along the Hudson River and absolutely love that area. It's scenic and quiet, but rental inventory could be a challenge to find. I would also potentially be able to avoid I-95 or the Merritt if I can commute down from places like Bedford, Mount Kisco and stuff like that. I know that NY has higher income and sales tax, but it's pretty marginal (only a few hundred dollars per year) and NY has no motor vehicle property tax.

So yeah, this could happen
Good Luck Nep. You know I have quite few LGBT friends in Milford and I just looked up some info about the LGBT population in CT. Milford is #2. I am totally surprised it is higher than New Haven too.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/gayest-places-in-connecticut

If you can take the train to Stamford I bet you afford a small house or nice condo in Milford too.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Rentals in White Plains 15 minutes drive no traffic, New Rochelle 30 minutes drive no traffic. Or even Mamaroneck, Pleasantville, Harrison would work. Not sure though why you need 2 bedrooms. You're alone, no?
Yes, I am alone, but I want a second room for my exercise equipment as well as to be used as a guest bedroom for when I have guests sleeping over.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Good Luck Nep. You know I have quite few LGBT friends in Milford and I just looked up some info about the LGBT population in CT. Milford is #2. I am totally surprised it is higher than New Haven too.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/gayest-places-in-connecticut

If you can take the train to Stamford I bet you afford a small house or nice condo in Milford too.
Milford is too far. By car, it will take a minimum of 55 minutes. By train it will also take a minimum of 55 minutes, but probably even longer, because I may have to drive to the train station, wait for the train, etc. So I'd rather drive at that point. But 55 minutes each way, no way.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:38 PM

34,046 posts, read 17,064,521 times
First step: Get to Round 2 of interviews.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
First step: Get to Round 2 of interviews.
Most companies I've gotten jobs with only have one round of interviews. Only two companies had 2 rounds, for me.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:49 PM

34,046 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So guess what. I landed my first, one and only in-person interview with a company in downtown Stamford, very close to the train station, on Monday. After 3 months of looking for a job, I can't believe this is the first real on-site interview I landed.
I am not surprised it took this long.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I am not surprised it took this long.
Eh, who knows. Maybe it won't happen. This company seems like it might have a workaholic culture, which is an absolute no in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut