Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:02 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
I've got no problem with the beaches here......... If their so bad then why are the beaches packed in the summer??? Plus I see many Mass plates at CT beaches. Why is that? Why don't they just head directly to MA or RI beaches since their so close?
What beaches are so crowded?
around here after the initial warm weather turnover and July 4 festivities, they can get pretty bare, even on weekends. It's generally just town locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 08:08 AM

167 posts, read 175,652 times
If I didn't have family in Madison (thus free access to the Surf Club) I'd never go to a beach in CT unless it's during the week to enjoy the view, breeze and reduced humidity. Beaches aren't my thing in general - crowds/traffic, sand, lugging tons of stuff with you. The town beaches on the shoreline east of New Haven are nice enough for me without huge crowds.

When we lived in Branford we'd go to Branford Point regularly but I never went in the water. Funny, we rarely saw anyone over the age of 10 in the water. Always amused the wife and I that adults won't swim there but were fine with letting their kids swim in "unclean" water. Still, it was nice to hang out in the park area up on the hill where the picnic tables are. We'd pack a dinner and play cards or board games out there on weeknights when it was never crowded.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:22 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Quote:
IPlus I see many Mass plates at CT beaches. Why is that? Why don't they just head directly to MA or RI beaches since their so close?

The MA plates are probably on the cars of residents from western MA. The CT beaches are actually the closest to them.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:43 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Hammonassett State Park beach & Rocky Neck State Park beach are packed all summer. Rocky Neck sometimes has to close its parking lot by 9 or 10 AM, it is so crowded.

Ocean Beach in New London is usually accessible but crowded on weekends. Bluff Point in Groton is lovely but no lifeguards on the beach or other amenities.

East of Milford, beaches are usually town residents only or pay a chunk of change for non residents. The beaches noted above, are some of the very few public beach choices along the CT eastern shore.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:50 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
around here after the initial warm weather turnover and July 4 festivities, they can get pretty bare, even on weekends. It's generally just town locals.
This. Milford beaches are never crowded outside of holidays.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:52 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post

East of Milford, beaches are usually town residents only or pay a chunk of change for non residents. The beaches noted above, are some of the very few public beach choices along the CT eastern shore.
West of Milford is the same. Compo Beach charges $50 to park on weekends. I'm not sure why they don't just close it off to out-of-towners all together at that point.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:22 PM

504 posts, read 384,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Hmmm? Really? Every time I visit Ocean Beach Park, or other CT beaches during the summer their packed, and I'm not talking about just holidays. RI is not that far, I just can't understand why these beach goers don't go there? I don't know maybe I'm just seeing things?????

Old 07-08-2017, 03:43 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
West of Milford is the same. Compo Beach charges $50 to park on weekends. I'm not sure why they don't just close it off to out-of-towners all together at that point.
I don't think the state will let them.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
I don't think the state will let them.
right, people have cows when that stuff comes up

Old 07-08-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Hmmm? Really? Every time I visit Ocean Beach Park, or other CT beaches during the summer their packed, and I'm not talking about just holidays. RI is not that far, I just can't understand why these beach goers don't go there? I don't know maybe I'm just seeing things?????
Take it easy, everythings gonna be ok. It's just dumb beach talk, not life and death. Was just curious.
Ocean beach then, thanks

thanks to the other individual who said Hammonasett and Rocky State as well.

Heading up that way soon to the Guilford fireworks tonight, should be a blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut