Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:43 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,918 times

Advertisements

I have friends in both Guilford and Madison. Friend in Madison had difficulty with school being unable/unwilling to accommodate a mildly special needs child. Friend in Guildford loved his town and specifically mentioned open minded and diverse population. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 10:16 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
I have friends in both Guilford and Madison. Friend in Madison had difficulty with school being unable/unwilling to accommodate a mildly special needs child. Friend in Guildford loved his town and specifically mentioned open minded and diverse population. Good luck.
That is something I hear a lot of in top rated school districts and special needs. A friend in Westport had a real tough time and wound up paying a ton for private schooling.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:17 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
...but Madison feels more insular, like a place people go to escape the problems of the world.
LOL. People who live in Madison go home, go to work, take kids to school, go out to dinner sometimes, go to BBQs, go shopping -- fairly normal things, as I am sure people in Guilford or Clinton do.

There are plenty of threads in this forum about these three towns; OP can read a lot about this towns here.

Many people do not know -- there are also trailers in Madison and Guilford, just a little less than Clinton, per capita. We are talking about some very isolated / contained area.

All three towns have the seaside neighborhoods, town neighborhoods (quarter-acre to half-acre lots) and the woodsy / more secluded properties. Then all three have "mansions" (Clinton included).

All three towns have very wealthy residents, white collar, and blue collar (Madison too.)

Real estate reflects desirability -- Madison first, Guilford close second, and Clinton solid third.

You can say the same things for Branford, which downtown I like the best out of the 4.

If OP's partner works in Milford, I am not convinced any of these town are optimal. That traffic from Stratford to Branford, and sometimes all the way to Madison - -that's a lump in the throat. Stop-and-go traffic for 45 minutes in due time feels double the traffic of 45 easy driving.

I would recommend OP to instead consider Fairfield and Woodbridge.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:11 AM

Why spend so much $ for Fairfield? If you read the OP's posts, their commute is also considering New Haven area.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Why spend so much $ for Fairfield? If you read the OP's posts, their commute is also considering New Haven area.
Fairfield's prices are similar to Madison's. If the OP finds Madison's prices in her/his budget, then it has a lot of options, outside of lower FFC.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:11 PM

830 posts, read 1,093,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure why you think Madison has more seasonal residents than Guilford or Branford. There are not many cottages there. It is mostly an affluent suburb of New Haven with a few cottages here and there. Branford and Guilford are more down-to-earth and middle class though. It is up to the OP which town fits them better. Jay
Growing up in Westchester I knew a few families with summer homes in Madison as Hamptons/Cape alternatives, but had never heard of the other towns until moving to CT. One of our neighbors in Darien also has a Madison property. Probably just my perception then because of that.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoct1013 View Post
Thanks for the info! Do you know how long the commute would be from Madison/Guilford/Clinton to Milford? My boyfriend would have to be at work at 7:30am. in Milford. My work would be split between New Haven and North Branford. Thank you.
Sorry, I missed that OP would work between NH and North Branford. In that case, I rescind my recommendation for anything west / south of New Haven. Let the BF suffer a little more with traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoct1013 View Post
We were leaning towards Madison but saw some nice homes in Clinton. If you are closer to 95 in Clinton vs Northern Madison it seems like it pretty much equals out the distance - I could be wrong. We want a family friendly area but the affluence of Madison doesn't really bother us either - we are used to that type of area coming from Fairfax County in Northern VA. We are also looking for an accepting area (more liberal) - where we live now almost 65% of people voted for Clinton and the surrounding counties about 75% did. It seems like Guilford and Madison are more liberal than Clinton (or at least in the last election they voted that way). In any other time this wouldn't matter to us at all - it's not about Republican or Democrat - but with this political climate you never know - we are an interracial/interfaith couple moving from an area where things like that don't matter at all and we have lived here our whole life so we are very used to that and want to make sure where we move to is welcoming and accepting - that was one of our hesitations on Clinton because we have heard that Guilford/Madison are both more liberal towns. Thoughts?! Thank you!
Clinton is a Democrat town. Many union households also live in town. If anything, you should compare election results of the last 15 years, not simply Trump's, which was an anomaly in many places.

An interracial couple might find Clinton more accepting because it has a little more diversity, not only from a racial perspective, but also socio-economic.

Clinton is not however an upper class town, while Madison is.

Since you are asking about acceptance of interracial couple, I am guessing you are looking for long-term for these towns. I am sure as an adult couple you will have no issues anywhere. However, when kids come into the picture, things are not so easy. If that's the case, why wouldn't you rent first, and get a feel for these towns yourself?

Old 07-05-2017, 01:18 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Fairfield's prices are similar to Madison's. If the OP finds Madison's prices in her/his budget, then it has a lot of options, outside of lower FFC.
I don't think so. Not even close. Look at what $400,000 buys you in each town. Jay

62 Country Way, Madison, CT 06443 - realtor.com®

778 Valley Rd, Fairfield, CT 06825 - realtor.com®

Old 07-05-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Fairfield's prices are similar to Madison's.
Not. Even. Close.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:45 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,918 times
Rereading your post where you say you are an interfaith couple- my experiences in CT are 100% that no one will care about that. I'm wondering if that is a "southern" thing, where a significant part of the social order is religion. Anyway, probably not an issue here, others may want to chime in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut