Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:49 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,918,894 times

Advertisements

I was casually browsing around on Google Maps and noticed that off the coast of Guilford there are dozens of tiny islands called the Thimble Islands. But then I turned on satellite mode and zoomed in and noticed that there are dozens of houses on these islands. I never ever knew this existed. Are these houses real, year-round houses that people actually live in??? I noticed that there are no streets designed for cars on these islands, but there are some streets that appear to be walkable or bike-able.

Wow....guess I learned something new today.

Has anyone on here ever been to these islands? They look like they're reserved for super rich people only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 09:57 PM

21,660 posts, read 27,981,745 times
They're private so most people will never step foot on them.

The boat tours out of beautiful Stony Creek are very enjoyable and you'll learn a lot. A cheap diversion on the weekend.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:10 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,451,064 times
Yeah take the boat tour. Several of the houses have underground power to the mainland.
You can also rent a few of them.
https://www.vrbo.com/395746

Rent Info

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/10097089

Also for some crazyness island for sale in CT
https://www.privateislandsonline.com...range=0%3A1000

Private Islands for sale - Potato Island - Connecticut - USA

Old 07-06-2017, 10:17 PM

4,433 posts, read 3,326,405 times
I am pretty sure they technically belong to Branford. You can take a boat cruise to see them. I liked it.

NEP, you'll like this. Branford has an island called Democrat Island. And Ted Kennedy's son lives in Branford too. Branford might be a good place for you to live lol.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:27 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,918,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I am pretty sure they technically belong to Branford. You can take a boat cruise to see them. I liked it.

NEP, you'll like this. Branford has an island called Democrat Island. And Ted Kennedy's son lives in Branford too. Branford might be a good place for you to live lol.
Oh nice, I would love that.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:31 PM

21,660 posts, read 27,981,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Yeah take the boat tour. Several of the houses have underground power to the mainland.
You can also rent a few of them.
https://www.vrbo.com/395746

Rent Info

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/10097089

Also for some crazyness island for sale in CT
https://www.privateislandsonline.com...range=0%3A1000

Private Islands for sale - Potato Island - Connecticut - USA
Oh man, I would love to do that. The AirBnB one is reserved until next July (if you want warm weather).

Old 07-07-2017, 07:01 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,173,128 times
Hey, you started a thread that might actually have a chance of not getting closed.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:00 AM

723 posts, read 1,002,629 times
Default Heard that

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I was casually browsing around on Google Maps and noticed that off the coast of Guilford there are dozens of tiny islands called the Thimble Islands. But then I turned on satellite mode and zoomed in and noticed that there are dozens of houses on these islands. I never ever knew this existed. Are these houses real, year-round houses that people actually live in??? I noticed that there are no streets designed for cars on these islands, but there are some streets that appear to be walkable or bike-able.

Wow....guess I learned something new today.

Has anyone on here ever been to these islands? They look like they're reserved for super rich people only.
this woman has been steadily buying many of them as they come up for sale?
Heard that she wants to let them all revert to nature when she dies???

Old 07-07-2017, 09:35 AM

34,862 posts, read 56,796,258 times
The boat tours of the Thimble Islands is wonderful. Go in the evening on a sunset cruise and you can peak into some of the homes when their lights are on. You also see some of the wonderful homes along the coast of Branford, Guilford and Madison as well.

FYI - Television journalist Jane Pauly and her husband, Doonesbury cartoonist, Garry Trudeau own a home on one of the islands. Have lived there for years. Jay

Old 07-07-2017, 10:34 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,481,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
this woman has been steadily buying many of them as they come up for sale?
Heard that she wants to let them all revert to nature when she dies???
She has all the houses on the market (9 she owns) for $50m. She is moving to Washington state.

They are awesome to visit ( the islands not the homes.) very cool spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut