Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 05:17 PM

17 posts, read 29,477 times

Advertisements

Job opportunity has me needing to relocate to Western Connecticut, affordably, from Upstate NY. I will be renting (for now), and I am by myself. No school concerns.

I will be working in several different cities, and am trying to find my best equidistant spot. Ideally, that place would be Waterbury but I am not too fond of the crime reports I have read about (though Waterbury has not really seemed terrible to me when I have been there, just rough). To stay in my price range and to try and avoid Waterbury, it seems like my best options would be Thomaston, Terryville, or Bristol. I feel comfortable about what I know about those places, after all I have worked in all of these cities as a contractor from time to time.

But that takes me to Torrington, the subject of my post. I think I have found a good fit here as far as a place to rent. I've been to the city, and it seems a little run down, but that was about it. Others might find where I am moving from rundown as well, but its a good overall city. It's a little more north then I would prefer, but I can make it work. I don't mind driving.

In trying to research Torrington, I have read "worst CT cities" lists, and see all of the usual suspects that I already am aware of. Torrington's not on the lists, but it seems no matter where I look, in the comments of the article, there's a bunch of comments saying, "What about Torrington?", "You forgot Torrington", etc etc. Even here, I see similar. The city is not considered a bad city but there is a sense that it should be avoided.

I am beginning to gather that Torrington's biggest issue is in regards to schools. While I empathize for those affected, that is completely not a factor, as I have no kids and have none planned on the way. So, ruling out schools completely, what exactly is Torrington's problem? Why is it always in the "honorable mention" section, so to speak, of a bad CT city list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 05:44 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
The only part of town that is a solid no is the South Main area. Otherwise there is really nothing wrong with it. Schools are iffy and there are some drug problems but there are plenty of regular old nice folk in Torrington. I don't see the problem with it and would not advise that people avoid it as a rule, and I worked there for a few years so I am not unfamiliar with it.

You could add the Oakville section of Watertown to the list of potential locations, and also consider Naugatuck.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:46 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Torrington used to be a nice town. Then the Torrington Company went out of business. I think that was one of the big things that caused the eventual downfall and it was all downhill from there because the main business was manufacturing. The location is pretty good although you're a ways out from things. You have easy access to the beautiful Litchfield hills and you have a state park with Burr Pond. The downtown used to be nice but it's run down now.

I think you could probably find some good quality houses there that aren't worth as much as they used to be. Someone else can fill you in better with what's going on with Torrington and if it's making any kind of a comeback. (I hope it does come back; it used to be a nice place!)

Last edited by in_newengland; 07-23-2017 at 10:15 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 05:48 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
I'll probably be crucified by others but I don't care... I think Torrington's biggest problem at the moment is Heroin. Not that it's producing addicts at a faster rate than any other town in CT is, because it's not. But it for some reason seems to attract them. Torrington and Willimantic... same for both: Heroin is the first thing I think of.

Last edited by Lalalally; 07-09-2017 at 06:43 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the information so far.

Hvexpat: Naugatuck is a city I am interested in and was actually my first choice, but the options are limited there right now it seems.

in_newengland: Always sad that a city can go downhill just because of one business leaving. As you mention, I am concerned about it being a little too far north in the state then I would prefer. I've found Route 8 to be a pretty peaceful drive though in comparison to I-87 and 90 where I am now. (I can avoid AM and PM rush hours, so that is probably why!)

Lala: Good information. I live near a community now with a big heroin problem. Sad to see how it affects people.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:23 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
What your budget ?

Old 07-09-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
What your budget ?
Right now, I am trying to stay conservative with the initial move and keep it under $700/mo for a studio or 1-bedroom. $750/mo would be a max right now.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:43 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
I would not live in Torrington personally but there are some REALLY nice towns nearby. New Hartford and Litchfield.

If you do decide on Torrington, I would just avoid the center.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:53 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG21 View Post
Right now, I am trying to stay conservative with the initial move and keep it under $700/mo for a studio or 1-bedroom. $750/mo would be a max right now.
Look into New Hartford, Cornwall, Winchester, Terryville

Old 07-09-2017, 07:16 PM

Stylo: The Torrington locations I am looking at are slightly outside the city center, just north of Elm St. Would that be a good cutoff point, you think?

Bpt: Terryville may be very possible as well. Will look at the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut