Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 07:01 PM

720 posts, read 923,333 times

Advertisements

One of the biggest issues that CT has is the poor investment in its larger cities. This is causing so many Millennials to run to Boston and NYC. I don't get why CT concentrates on its suburbs so much but leaves Hartford to rot. I cant blame that 90% of my friends want to move to more exciting places.

This guy is totally right, the northeast in general is loosing a tremendous amount of people.

Connecticut in crisis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 08:16 PM

610 posts, read 535,463 times
But Connecticut does "invest" in its cities. Untold hundreds of millions, probably billions in total, for school aid diverted from affluent towns, welfare benefits of all sorts, Medicaid, "affordable" housing galore and a ton of other programs, which are all touted as "investments". The well does start to run dry eventually. And where is the return on these?

Old 07-11-2017, 09:33 PM

3,601 posts, read 1,802,685 times
Maybe northeastern domestic migration is heading towards large cities but overall US migration not so much, people are moving south and west to more spacious areas.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:39 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,620,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
But Connecticut does "invest" in its cities. Untold hundreds of millions, probably billions in total, for school aid diverted from affluent towns, welfare benefits of all sorts, Medicaid, "affordable" housing galore and a ton of other programs, which are all touted as "investments". The well does start to run dry eventually. And where is the return on these?
Want cities to improve?

A) Take the harsh route and pull back on social welfare. No more housing, healthcare, or food. Let the poor move away or die off.

Or

B) Force the poor to spread out all over the state and don't allow any large concentrations.

Cities like Hartford & Bridgeport have too much poverty. Over 30% of Hartford lives below the poverty line with 10%+ unemployment. It's the concentration of poverty in geographically small cities that kills investment. Nobody feels safe or wants to pay the high city taxes so they commute from the suburbs. The next generation of skilled labor wants more than the suburban lifestyle lived by the parents. This creates a cycle of younger workers leaving the state.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:40 PM

14,087 posts, read 14,015,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
One of the biggest issues that CT has is the poor investment in its larger cities. This is causing so many Millennials to run to Boston and NYC. I don't get why CT concentrates on its suburbs so much but leaves Hartford to rot. I cant blame that 90% of my friends want to move to more exciting places.

This guy is totally right, the northeast in general is loosing a tremendous amount of people.

Connecticut in crisis
Connecticut treat it cities like disease

Old 07-12-2017, 12:20 AM

3,601 posts, read 1,802,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Connecticut treat it cities like disease
In what sense? The amount of money redistributed from the wealthy suburbs to the inner cities in this state is INSANE. I guess the argument is that more of the money should be spent on infrastructure and less on social programs?

Old 07-12-2017, 05:39 AM

79 posts, read 304,759 times
Connecticut has treated its cities as containment zones for all the social ills of society so that the suburbs could get off scot-free. Back in the late '70s--early '80s our urban centers saw the beginnings of a back-to-the-city revival--South Green in Hartford, Washington Park and the South End in Bridgeport, Fair Haven in New Haven, and Hillside in Waterbury were all hotbeds of young people moving back and restoring historic structures (this was in concert with similar efforts that turned around once-decrepit neighborhoods like Park Slope in Brooklyn and the South End in Boston). But the policies of the State doomed these efforts with a vision that assumed that cities had no viable future other than to provide low-income housing. While Boston and Brooklyn became meccas for investment Hartford, Bridgeport, and Waterbury became national models of urban decline. And Cttransplant85 is correct--the amount of money poured into these cities IS insane. In Bridgeport, hundreds of millions spent demolishing the city's most historic neighborhood for a Bass Pro Shop with a 40-acre surface parking lot, a Chipotle's, and a phone store. Another $140,000,000 for a high school, and now a proposal for a $300,000,000 train station in a no-man's land on the city's East Side. Then there is the public housing that costs in excess of $300,000 per unit to construct. Back in the early years of the 20th century our beautiful old New England cities were the envy of the nation. As today's rising generation chooses urban living in place of the raised ranch on an acre of land in a distant suburb that was their parents' dream, Connecticut has shot itself in the foot.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:51 AM

21,667 posts, read 31,325,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
In what sense? The amount of money redistributed from the wealthy suburbs to the inner cities in this state is INSANE. I guess the argument is that more of the money should be spent on infrastructure and less on social programs?
This. The money is available to the cities. They just don't spend it wisely. Google "corruption"

Old 07-12-2017, 06:49 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,510,892 times
Cost prohibitive and you get nothing for your money. Why would I want to move to a city that is dirty (read trash, unkempt public spaces/streets/etc.), has insanely high mil rates, and provides my tax dollars to the programs and funds that continue to increase every year without and checks and balance while I receiving nothing in return? The cities keep rinse and repeating their faults without trying to actually fix problems, throwing money at them does not help and people don't want to contribute.

Also the cost to buy, renovate, live in the city is exorbitant when for the same if not less money you can have space, privacy, and live just minutes away.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:57 AM

14,087 posts, read 14,015,401 times
Everyone want to live in Brooklyn and Harlem now but not Hartford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut