Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 06:38 PM

6 posts, read 5,701 times

Advertisements

As stated ct is horrible. But to each there own. If you enjoy endless cold winters, rainy summers, high taxes, overpriced housing, you will be fine there. And another note if your trying to start a business in ct have fun trying to get license and when you finally do recieve the fees will be threw the roof.
The people that live there for the most part are good. But then you have your crime and drugs in Hartford, Bridgeport, newhaven, new londen, Danbury, !!!!
Again this is my take on ct where i lived for over 35 years, business owner, Home owner, And still have alot of family members that live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 06:48 PM

6 posts, read 5,701 times
If you do decide to move to ct. Personally i would not recommend.But if you do Fairfield county would be your best bet. Just avoid Bridgeport! !!. Look at orange, milford, woodbridge, Trumbull, monroe, some parts of stamford,

Old 10-13-2015, 07:21 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcorrect View Post
As stated ct is horrible. But to each there own. If you enjoy endless cold winters, rainy summers, high taxes, overpriced housing, you will be fine there. And another note if your trying to start a business in ct have fun trying to get license and when you finally do recieve the fees will be threw the roof.
The people that live there for the most part are good. But then you have your crime and drugs in Hartford, Bridgeport, newhaven, new londen, Danbury, !!!!
Again this is my take on ct where i lived for over 35 years, business owner, Home owner, And still have alot of family members that live there.
Do we live in the same Connecticut?

Endless cold winters? Actual freezing temps last about 4 months, and even during that time, you have many days in the 40s and even some in the 50s. Rainy summers? 6 out of 7 summer days are bright and sunny here. Yes, the cost of living is very high but we routinely rank as number 1 in Human Development - which says a lot.

I left CT because I felt similar to you,and moved back. I realized the grass wasn't greener.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:22 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
If you do decide to move to ct. Personally i would not recommend.But if you do Fairfield county would be your best bet. Just avoid Bridgeport! !!. Look at orange, milford, woodbridge, Trumbull, monroe, some parts of stamford,
Orange, Milford and Woodbridge are not in Fairfield County.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:39 AM

86 posts, read 88,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Do we live in the same Connecticut?

Endless cold winters? Actual freezing temps last about 4 months, and even during that time, you have many days in the 40s and even some in the 50s. Rainy summers? 6 out of 7 summer days are bright and sunny here. Yes, the cost of living is very high but we routinely rank as number 1 in Human Development - which says a lot.

I left CT because I felt similar to you,and moved back. I realized the grass wasn't greener.
I hear you on that kidyankee764. I left CT back in 1999 and will be returning also. Yes I know about the cost of living but after living elsewhere and seeing most of the USA, I can't wait to return. Thankfully I have a lot of family there so that makes it easier....The grass isn't always greener...Ct may not be for everybody...to each their own, but it's for me.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:17 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
You don't need a license to start a business in Connecticut. You do need a license to practice in a professional capacity-- Doctor, Lawyer, Accountant, Social Worker, etc. Same as any other state.

I started my business in 30 minute on the Secretary of the State web site.

This post is full of misinformation.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:59 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
It's alright high taxes, taxes cause business to cut back or leave the state, high cost of living in some area's, limited options of rent under $1,000, and high car taxes. Winter here is a but dull since not much too do and snow doesn't last long to do outdoor winter activities. During winter roads are not maintained well bit hazard driving. State is small so once you see everything you pretty much seen everything. Some attractions can be expensive. However, beautiful state to drive around in the less crowded area's. Beautiful state to hike in. Summer and Fall are the two best seasons here. Not a bad state to live in. Beaches are okay here head out of state for Beaches in the Summer. However, nice to walk around quick escape the Coast does have some beautiful spots. The Fall has some amazing fairs and festivals going on. Spring is a mix of cold, snow, freezing rain, and rain.

Far as school's go a mix of good and bad. Colleges are super expensive in the state they are trying to pass a bill to cap the CC's at $30,000 a year.

The statw isn't all that bad.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:10 PM

75 posts, read 108,589 times
If you don't mind lots of cold, snow and rain and can compartmentalize the behavior and nuances of the rude, aloof locals, Connecticut is a nice place to live an average life - quiet, family-oriented communities; good schools; a decent number of major corporate employers for a small geographic area; etc.

However, it's not really a place for hipsters, artsy folk, movers and shakers, thrill-seekers, sun-seekers, highly sociable people, LGBT youth - basically anyone that's a slight departure from what's consider "normal" and "mainstream" by American standards.

A lot of people in other parts of the country without an understanding of the state's local culture are surprised to learn that about Connecticut, considering it's such a Democratic state. In the minds of most Americans, "Democratic" = "liberal," but any native New Englander can attest otherwise.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:32 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,626,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont_Boy View Post
If you don't mind lots of cold, snow and rain and can compartmentalize the behavior and nuances of the rude, aloof locals, Connecticut is a nice place to live an average life - quiet, family-oriented communities; good schools; a decent number of major corporate employers for a small geographic area; etc.

However, it's not really a place for hipsters, artsy folk, movers and shakers, thrill-seekers, sun-seekers, highly sociable people, LGBT youth - basically anyone that's a slight departure from what's consider "normal" and "mainstream" by American standards.

A lot of people in other parts of the country without an understanding of the state's local culture are surprised to learn that about Connecticut, considering it's such a Democratic state. In the minds of most Americans, "Democratic" = "liberal," but any native New Englander can attest otherwise.
+1 Pretty much dovetails my experiences.

Populations and cultures are self-selecting, and CT appeals to those who fit in. Others will find it uncomfortable.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:43 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont_Boy View Post
Not sure I agree with this.

I'll be the first to admit, I do not like hipsters so the least of them the better.

Artsy folk? really, go to New Haven or the Lymes. I know plenty of very famous writers, authors and artists that live in that area. I'll also add Litchfield to that list as well.

Movers and shakers. See Stamford, Greenwich. These guys run the country, can't be much more a mover and shakers than that.

Sun seekers, this is New England of course not. If I want sun go to Florida.

Highly sociable people. CT residents are not outgoing. Our lack of outward nicest towards strangers might be perceived as not highly sociable but we are very social. We aren't like Hollywood or LA, in that we have to go to clubs or fancy restaurants to be seen. To us that's silly. We like fairs, our small beaches, our little cities and our casual restaurants. I could tell you first hand we are highly social.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut