Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 05:25 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Fictional Stepford Connecticut may have been modeled on real Stepney Connecticut. Likely there could be copyright or trade mark issues using Stepford CT in a book. It is a commuter type town. Not all, but many commute to NYC.

To be away from cities, with little to no city commuters, maybe Sherman, Kent, Canaan (not New Canaan which is very tied into NYC).

Sherman would be on the north end of Lake Candlewood. It is a town with some very eclectic folks, very nice, but some are a bit weird. Sherman is also known for some very prominent boarding schools. There would be a few commuters to NYC, but not many. Sherman is more toward the retired hippy side maybe than the other towns mentioned in this post. There would be as many folks who are in Sherman for weekends or summers from NYC visiting summer homes as those who live in Sherman and commute to work in NYC.

Kent is likewise away from any daily city commute, it is a bit more of a tourist town, it also has some decent educational institutions. The town may be best known for Kent Falls, also the Railroad museum. To me the main street full of boarding school kids on Friday night is the most memorable. Likely no daily commuters to NYC from Kent. Many in Kent are rich, or very poor, not so many in the middle. It is a town without much of a middle class. Many of the kids in boarding school at Kent come from affluent families, my guess is a majority from NYC, but no basis for that other than observation years ago.

Canaan is toward the far north of eastern Connecticut, and is a former county, not so much a town. It has few inhabitants, and is mostly where you go from Route 7 to I 90 in Massachusetts. Of the 3 Canaan is the poorest, and has the fewest attractions, but may also be the most remote. Canaan fails as a NYC commute, but allows for rural poverty to be explored.

If you want diversity, consider Kent or Stepney. Kent has some interesting things going for it, and Stepney is within commute of NYC. Kent is far more remote from any major city than Stepney.

Kent and Sherman may already have the sort of educational institutions you want to write about. An alternative is a smaller city like Bristol or Danbury. Danbury does have many commuters to NYC. These both have universities, and varied types of employment.

I think you have Sherman confused with another town too. True it's on the north end of Candlewood Lake, but it has zero boarding schools never mind any "prominent" ones. It's a pretty wealthy town, but very far from being "hippyish". In fact it's one of the few FFC towns that voted for Trump

Also Canaan is in Northwestern CT -- not far eastern CT

Last edited by Lalalally; 07-14-2017 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 06:04 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeOfSilver View Post
Hey, all. I'm writing a novel and setting it at a fictional elite boarding school in CT.

Good Luck with you book. Let us know when it is for sale.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:52 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,297 times
It has been mentioned - Kent is the answer that checks all your boxes.

1.) Rural, natural, scenic - check

2.) SECLUDED - decently far from any city or town - there's plenty of places in Kent that are far from the 'downtown' of Kent - a school being far away from any town doesn't make much sense since everywhere is a city or town technically but I think I know what you mean.

3.) Must have a lake - it's a Lake Waramaug border and there's the sizable North/South Spectacle Pond and others

4.) No more than 2 hours driving distance from NYC - check

5.) Somewhere where a boarding school could hypothetically be -- i.e. no state parks or the like - there's several boarding schools there, not even hypothetically!

Old 07-14-2017, 07:13 PM

610 posts, read 533,177 times
I guess I'm a bit perplexed. If your work is fiction, why not "create" a town that meets your specs? Are you planning to use a real town and populate it with a fictional school,etc? I could see doing that if your setting is a large city, but seems unusual for a small rural town.

I recall many fictionalized Connecticut locations in films and books--Christmas in Connecticut, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream Home, The Stranger, for example----sometimes better than the real thing, as imagination often is.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:59 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
I guess I'm a bit perplexed. If your work is fiction, why not "create" a town that meets your specs? Are you planning to use a real town and populate it with a fictional school,etc? I could see doing that if your setting is a large city, but seems unusual for a small rural town.

I recall many fictionalized Connecticut locations in films and books--Christmas in Connecticut, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream Home, The Stranger, for example----sometimes better than the real thing, as imagination often is.
Lots and lots of fiction take place in real towns. Moreso than the Star Hollows.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:05 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
The lake in New Preston was where the movie Friday the 13th was filmed too.

Washining Lake in Salisbury is a good one too since its on the northwest corner of CT where it's extremely isolated.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:46 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
Bridgewater,CT, very rural, Lake Lillinonah

Old 07-14-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
Bridgewater,CT, very rural, Lake Lillinonah
Not very isolated though. Minutes to civilization

Old 07-14-2017, 09:20 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeOfSilver View Post
2.) SECLUDED - decently far from any city or town
4.) No more than 2 hours driving distance from NYC
CT is the fourth densest state and I believe the most densest parts are within a 2 hour ride (with our famous CT traffic*) from NYC. You might have to bend a little bit or use creative license and create a somewhat fictional town/area of CT.

How far (secluded) from a city or bustling town does it need to be?

*I live in Trumbull and more often than not it takes me 2 hours to get into and home from Manhattan (the upper East Side).

Old 07-14-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

*I live in Trumbull and more often than not it takes me 2 hours to get into and home from Manhattan (the upper East Side).
Only at rush hour...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut