Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 06:09 PM

4,460 posts, read 3,354,951 times

Advertisements

I saw this on FB and thought others might be interested.

Boat Club - Boating Without Owning | Carefree Boat Club
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 06:29 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Clinton is in southern CT, too.

I'm a former member of CBC. We paid a one time fee and were members for five years. It's essentially a time share for boats, and I'd only recommend it for beginners, if even them. We had several issues.

You're given a different boat each time, which you have to reserve well in advance if you want to choose your vessel. If you decide to go out last minute, you usually have lower end boats to choose from that don't usually accommodate our needs. So, you have to have a plan at least a few weeks out. Otherwise, you're SOL.

Maintenance was questionable and, while the boats operated fine to rent for the day most of the time, they often weren't cleaned as well as I clean my personal boat. Twice, we were stranded on the water and had to be towed back. We weren't given any reimbursement from the company. They did apologize, though.

So, we spent about $20,000 over five years and didn't even have a boat to show for it.

Now that we have a boat, there's something to be said for the ability to go out on the sound whenever we want without restrictions, the ability to keep our personal belongings on board and the peace of mind knowing the vessel is properly maintained and cleaned.

Cool idea, but once you look into it, total ripoff.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
My bad, it showed up on my FB page as "Southwestern CT" and I forgot to put in the "western". I only saw the Clinton location when I did the global map search.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:

So, we spent about $20,000 over five years and didn't even have a boat to show for it.

Cool idea, but once you look into it, total ripoff.
Looks like I'll be getting a canoe or sunfish (or something similar) in retirement lol.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:17 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Looks like I'll be getting a canoe or sunfish (or something similar) in retirement lol.
or make new friends with people who own boats

Old 07-17-2017, 11:54 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
or make new friends with people who own boats
That's what I plan on doing once I sell mine. Love boating, hate owning one.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:30 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,753 times
Quote:
That's what I plan on doing once I sell mine. Love boating, hate owning one.
yeah, I hear that. Owning gets old real fast.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:56 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,744,543 times
Having just been on a boat in the Bahamas Out Islands this past weekend, WHY on God's green earth is it worth the time, Hassel and $$$$$ to own a boat in the Northeast US???

Not just cold, but ugly colorless water compared to the most prestine water in every shade of blue you can imagine with sandbars that make your jaw drop.

Up here no freaking way!!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Having just been on a boat in the Bahamas Out Islands this past weekend, WHY on God's green earth is it worth the time, Hassel and $$$$$ to own a boat in the Northeast US???

Not just cold, but ugly colorless water compared to the most prestine water in every shade of blue you can imagine with sandbars that make your jaw drop.

Up here no freaking way!!
Lol

Papafox, do you know the song "Love the one your with" by Crosby, Stills & Nash.

"And if you can't be with the one you love honey, love the one you're with"

Not all of us can go to or live in the Bahamas. So while in the northeast some of us have learned to love the ocean (or in our case LI Sound) we are with.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:03 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
I sold mine. Too much hassle. I got it cheap, spent a bunch of money on maintenance/fixing it, and sold it for basically nothing. I never took it out since it wasn't really a LI Sound-worthy vessel, and getting up to the lakes with it was too time consuming.

Recently bought a kayak. Hoping to put that to more use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut