Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:02 AM

18 posts, read 33,980 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family and I are looking to move to FFC and are looking at a house on the NY/CT border. My question is, is it worth moving to that house when everything that Greenwich has to offer is 20-30min south?

I know the question is rather subjective but anyone with experience?

example, i'd be better off driving 25 min to whiteplains MetroNorth to commute into the city rather than driving 20 min south to cos cob or Greenwich train station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 07:22 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Not sure I understand the question.

People move to north Greenwich because it's quiet, attractive, upscale, close to NYC, and taxes are low.

It is roughly 15 minutes to Greenwich train station from north Greenwich. Keep in mind with White Plains you might encounter more traffic, especially once in the city. Is that really worth it? But you can use any train station in Westchester if you want. Being a Greenwich resident gives you no special parking or anything.

If you can afford north Greenwich, you can afford any town in Westchester. But taxes will be triple.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:05 AM

830 posts, read 1,093,502 times
This area is known as backcountry and has traditionally been one of the choice areas for the affluent due to the privacy, beauty, space, and yea, much lower taxes than in bordering Westchester. Some also prefer the access to HPN, and the private schools. If this sounds like what you're looking for, then now is probably a good time to get a good value there as the backcountry concept has gone out of vogue in comparison to the in-town living, beach access, & great public schools route found in Riverside & Old Greenwich. This has hit property values in the backcountry hard, especially on the high-end where things have been on the market for years.
Depending on where in backcountry you are you might be shopping regularly in either Armonk, Rye Brook, Bedford, or Stamford in addition to Greenwich. In terms of train station parking, as a Greenwich resident you could get a Greenwich station parking permit which I believe is something like $400/yr.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:16 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
In terms of train station parking, as a Greenwich resident you could get a Greenwich station parking permit which I believe is something like $400/yr.
I believe anyone can get those permits, even non-residents. At least it's that way at every other MNR station I know of.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:31 AM

830 posts, read 1,093,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I believe anyone can get those permits, even non-residents. At least it's that way at every other MNR station I know of.
It seems like the downtown Greenwich station lots are resident only from what I can tell, whereas Riverside, Old Greenwich, & Cos Cob are opened to non-residents. However, I think even in downtown Greenwich anyone can use day parking which is $5/day.

I know in Darien for example the Noroton station parking is open to non-residents since its owned by the state, but the Darien station lots are resident-only since owned by the town.

Parking Permits - Town of Greenwich, Connecticut
Welcome to the Town of Darien, Connecticut - Railroad Station Parking

Old 07-19-2017, 09:36 AM

519 posts, read 582,706 times
The value of real estate in backcountry Greenwich has taken a pounding. Still dropping in many cases from 2008. If you are serious about Greenwich real estate you need to start reading Chris Fountain's blog. He is a real estate agent in Greenwich and very much calls things like he sees them.

Based upon what I read by him, personally I would only buy in backcountry Greenwich (north of Merritt) if my "life" was focused over the border in NY. Additionally, I would look to drive a very hard bargain on pricing. And I absolutely wouldn't attempt a purchase without a local, honest, savvy broker.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:22 PM

110 posts, read 172,057 times
Back country Greenwich is an extremely good value these days. The drive times into central Greenwich biz district are no greater than if you lived in the heart of Old Greenwich. Parkway school is well regarded. They only challenge is trying to get Central Middle in addition to Parkway Elementary. For that you need to be on the eastern side of backcountry. The western side's value are lower and that is a reflection of schools (Wester Middle).

While it is a PITA to run out for milk, we find the tranquility and acreage are a welcomed tradeoff. A little planning (+ a freezer in the basement and bev cooler in the garage) have been a big help with provisioning.

I disagree with Larsm (naturally as I own here) and think values are unfairly depressed. I must be in the minority as the market ultimately decides. However, I lived through the trendy 1990's-2000's where backcountry was IN. Now, its OUT but I still like it for the same reasons I liked it as a youth and never for it's perceived "coolness". To my this is what CT living is all about, not 1/8 acre lots with neighbors tight to one another. But, I also do not use the train to get to work. I Digress.

FWIW, we bought our house in 2014 at a whopping 19% discount from the sellers purchase price in 2004. If you negotiate a good purchase price, the risk is mitigated. I am very comfortable with our long term RE value. YMMV

Old 07-19-2017, 05:29 PM

18 posts, read 33,980 times
wow thank you all so much for the insight.

this is exactly the type of info I needed.

didn't even realize it had a label like the "back country"

Old 07-19-2017, 06:40 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
One word - Lowball

Old 07-20-2017, 05:53 AM

519 posts, read 582,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LISSailor View Post

I disagree with Larsm (naturally as I own here) and think values are unfairly depressed. I must be in the minority as the market ultimately decides.
Honestly, my comments were not from my own observations (I have no direct knowledge) but just what I've picked up reading Chris Fountain's blog. He has highlighted a surprising number of back country home resales (where home was bought in 2011 or 2012, which was the national housing bottom) that have sold recently for less. Some folks incurring 7 figure losses! Seems two trends are hitting back country: proximity issue and size issue. Size issue being the market for 10,000 sq ft or bigger houses, with extensive grounds, and resulting maintenance expense is causing pause among buyers.

Personally I agree with you that I would rather have a little little longer drive and privacy then short drive and no privacy. But in that regard it looks like mid-country, as compared to back country, gets a buyer closer to best of both worlds: 10 minute or so drive into town and some acerage.

Regardless, if back country fits your lifestyle it is a beautiful place to call home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut