Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 09:46 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keekski View Post
Really hoping for just an early dismissal tomorrow for the kids and delayed opening on Thursday. If they have another two days off, we'll go until June 29th. Time to take a lesson from the other districts in the area and cut Feb break short at the start of the school year. This ridiculous, especially since the last two we've had on the shoreline by the CT river have been complete busts.
We have the short Feb break and we will be cutting into our April break with this storm. The problem is that we started school after labor day. If we had started before labor day, we wouldn't have this problem.
Also, I don't understand why they cut short the Feb break. Much more likely to get snow in Feb, and maybe get some snow days that occur during the vacation. The same can't be said for April vacation, but this year may be the exception.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:47 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
6-12 inches of snow is realistic for CT
I've never been a fan of such a wide gap, I wish they would at least attempt to get a few inch range for the different areas, 3-6, 6-8, etc. When I see something like this morning 5-10" it looks like they just gave up and said, "meh...something is gonna happen." To me there is a big difference from say 5" to 10+"

Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I've never been a fan of such a wide gap, I wish they would at least attempt to get a few inch range for the different areas, 3-6, 6-8, etc. When I see something like this morning 5-10" it looks like they just gave up and said, "meh...something is gonna happen." To me there is a big difference from say 5" to 10+"
Weather meteorologist now and days have got lazy or they can’t even predict weather the next day. We can predict weather on Mars lol

Old 03-20-2018, 10:02 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
We have the short Feb break and we will be cutting into our April break with this storm. The problem is that we started school after labor day. If we had started before labor day, we wouldn't have this problem.
Also, I don't understand why they cut short the Feb break. Much more likely to get snow in Feb, and maybe get some snow days that occur during the vacation. The same can't be said for April vacation, but this year may be the exception.
Interesting story on this from my growing up just over the line in NY.

I was in HS for the famed 1982 April blizzard. To this day, NY uses the Good Friday/Easter/Passover week for "April break" (which means some years like in 2018 it starts at the end of March), whereas in CT they close for Good Friday (and in some cases the Monday after Easter) and then pick a random week in April (in most of FFC it's the 2nd week, though this year Danbury broke from the rest of them and is having theirs the 3rd week). I don't remember but I believe this happened during the break (as I looked it up and the holiday week was that week in 1982), so if it were an even earlier "holiday week" that year, they could've had a snow day after April break.

Traditionally, NY schools build in (usually 5) snow days and don't add to June like they do in CT, partially because unlike in CT they always start after Labor Day and usually go almost to the end of June. After 5 (or whatever was built in) snow days they take away from April break. But because of that storm, for the rest of my HS years (I graduated in 1985) they made Memorial Day a 5 or 6 day weekend (Thursday through Monday and for one of the years even Tuesday) and took the days from there (at the time my hometown shortened Feb. break to make up for it). In my hometown at least, they continued this practice until the late 1990s when they went back to just being closed on Memorial Day, having a full week for Feb. break, and deducting (after 5 snow days) from April break.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:02 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Nope. Check it out. NJ special. CT gets zip
https://twitter.com/ryanhanrahan
Wrong. That's the 06z. check the 12z.. latest NAM run shows CT getting pummeled...

NAM bounces around but always comes back.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:34 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
LOL @ Oracle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Native View Post
That's the 06Z (4:30 AM initialization) run. The other run that was posted after you is the 12Z (10:30 AM initialization) run and the latest NAM prediction. I believe the 00Z and 12Z initializations receive fresh inputs and are able to detect changes better, although I'm not an expert.
Haven't checked the latest but yeah, 6z and 18z just re-run the update with same info as 00z and 12z. Unless special balloons or hurricane hunters went up then the 6 or 18 would have new data injested.

12:30pm map. Here we go. Just started snowing in some areas.

Sunny in Boston but that's about to change. Gray slate skies here and Virga.

The blue outline is a discussion for heavy snow rates. Radar looks juicy

Storm Prediction Center - Current Mesoscale Discussions

Old 03-20-2018, 10:47 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Snow started in West Virginia

Old 03-20-2018, 10:58 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Sorry I dont do forecasting more. I know u guys want to hear that more. Its just more time consuming for me to figure out all locations and get detailed.

Figure we'll get light precip this evening but more precip moves in after midnight tonight. Might start as sleet or rain in NYC and coasts but then change to all snow after 7am. Heaviest snow should be lunchtime into evening tomorrow.

So I would say roads will be worst between 11am-4pm? No idea

Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 AM

712 posts, read 530,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Wrong. That's the 06z. check the 12z.. latest NAM run shows CT getting pummeled...

NAM bounces around but always comes back.
No kidding. Why are you rehashing what was already stated by other posters? I was off by 15 minutes on the latest update of the nam. Sorry...biggest mistake of my life.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Funny "the Oracle" was mentioned, my wife always asks "what did the weather guy online say?" cause she knows I check this forum constantly.

My concern is not the amounts so much as the timing and roads. Last storm did almost nothing to the roads in Wallingford, the one before that dumped a foot everywhere. The trend this week has seemed to be colder temps day/night than before, I still have some snow on the roof. I'm hoping the heavy stuff holds off till about 2 so I can pickup the kids.
LOL my SO asks me the same thing!

Remember I complained that my town treated the roads last Thursday? Apparently they did it too soon as much of it wore off on the more heavily traveled roads. They re-did some this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut