Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:17 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I would say Stamford. It's a lot less snobby than the surrounding towns, and 1 mil will get you a lot more than in Greenwich, Darien or New Canaan. It is also much closer to the City than points east (e.g. Fairfield).

Some people may put down Stamford's schools, but the lower average test scores have more to do with a diverse student body and achievement gap between upper and lower class students than the teachers or curricula. However, there are several private school options should you choose to take that route.
Homes in North Stamford(06903) have appreciated quite a bit over the past decade to the point, IMO, that i wouldn't dismiss taking a look at what's available over the line in New Canaan. When you factor in the tax and school equations, the price disparity between the two really shrinks.
Strangely, North Stamford(lowest density) is the most coveted area of Stamford, while the lower density areas of New Canaan are less desirable in that community. The buyer's in New Canaan seem to strongly prefer to live in the town center("the village") area.
My best suggestion would be to look at the best properties in the 06905 and 06907 areas of Stamford if you're looking to stay under 1mil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 05:05 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
the lower density areas of New Canaan are less desirable in that community. The buyer's in New Canaan seem to strongly prefer to live in the town center("the village") area.
I used to live in New Canaan, and my husband is from New Canaan. I would have to disagree that "buyer's in New Canaan seem to strongly prefer to live in the town center("the village") area".

Old 04-11-2008, 08:35 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
If you've got to fly a lot and you work in downtown Manhattan, I would agree that NJ makes much more sense.

There's NOTHING wrong with saying you live in NJ. Some of the most beautiful areas of the northeast are in the area of Princeton, NJ and in Hunterdon County, where there are estates that not only rival, but surpass the chic areas of Fairfield County in Connecticut. If all you've seen of NJ is what you've seen from the NJ Turnpike, then there's a lot you've not experienced. That's the same as if what you see from the NE Thruway is a fair sampling of Connecticut.

And in NJ it's really a cinch to get to Newark International Airport, with great connections to everywhere.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:59 PM

246 posts, read 873,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I used to live in New Canaan, and my husband is from New Canaan. I would have to disagree that "buyer's in New Canaan seem to strongly prefer to live in the town center("the village") area".
I agree - I lived in New Canaan when I was younger and most actually seemed to prefer the more rural area of town. More trees, less sidewalks, more privacy. Recently I've heard of people getting into a bidding war over homes in northern NC neighborhoods, where some actually sold for a good amount over the asking price.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:03 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
How long ago did you move out of the community? This has been the trend for the last 3 yrs+. I'm sure there are brokers(i am not one) on this forum whom could enlighten us further on the recent activity(i.e.: teardown mania), that has occured north of the YMCA over the past few years.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:21 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
How long ago did you move out of the community? This has been the trend for the last 3+ yrs. I'm sure there are brokers (I am not one) on this forum who could enlighten us further on the recent activity (i.e. teardown mania) that has occurred north of the YMCA over the past few years.
No, we really can't...New Canaan has its own MLS which pretty much excludes agents from the rest of the state unless we want to pay for access to see their properties. Greenwich and Darien are the other two towns with independent MLS's. These three sisters (being kind, of course) operate under an antiquated business model.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:06 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
How long ago did you move out of the community? This has been the trend for the last 3 yrs+. I'm sure there are brokers(i am not one) on this forum whom could enlighten us further on the recent activity(i.e.: teardown mania), that has occured north of the YMCA over the past few years.
We still have family and friends all over New Canaan. You will find "teardown mania" happening everywhere in that town, and surrounding towns, too. But the homes in central New Canaan are less expensive than the homes further outside of town, so builders can snap up those "inexpensive" properties, tear down the existing homes, and rebuild McMansions for a tidy profit. New Canaan is very desirable, with excellent schools. You will find a lot of people eager to move into New Canaan who buy in central New Canaan because they can't afford homes on larger lots further outside of town.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 04-12-2008 at 06:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut