Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 06:50 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Did you guys know Craigslist shows properties on a map now? https://newyork.craigslist.org/search/fct/aap

There are 8 in New Canaan. Only clicked one of them and its showing a $3400/mth for a 3BR

Over 10 of them in North Stamford.. Saw a $2600/mth in North Stamford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 06:52 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I meant for the job searching in the city part
True, but Bedford is hardly a worse commute to the city than New Canaan. Probably even easier.

Just figured I'd offer the OP another (perhaps more affordable) option - not sure why all the push back.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 07-27-2017 at 07:01 PM..

Old 07-27-2017, 07:03 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
True, but Bedford is hardly a worse commute to the city than New Canaan. Probably even easier.

Just figured I'd offer the OP another (perhaps more affordable) option - not sure why all the push back.
OK, let's start over, hold on

Old 07-27-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Anyway, seeing the OP will be job searching in the city, .
OP said the job is based in Stamford, so no need to job search in the city

Old 07-27-2017, 07:11 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
OP said the job is based in Stamford, so no need to job search in the city
"...will need an area with easy access to New York in case I find an employment there."

Old 07-27-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
"...will need an area with easy access to New York in case I find an employment there."
oh
well don't I feel like a f'n idiot

Old 07-28-2017, 04:02 AM

8 posts, read 7,495 times
Thanks again all. All of this is very assuring to know considering we are completely knew to your city. Hoping there is an apartment available when we are trying to move early next year. I will start tracking on websites and will also ask my husband to check if he has any relocation assistance as part of his move.

Please could you also advise how much distance do I need to be from school to get an admission in that school. Apologies if this is lame question but in London for good public schools you need to be within 300 meters or you don't get a space. I am trying to be an optimist here in case we have a choice of multiple properties near good schools early next year when we are planning our move.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:54 AM

109 posts, read 161,047 times
You don't need to worry about distance, or spaces. House/apartment will be in a certain school district and that is where your child will go. You can usually find maps with this information on each town's website or the house/apartment listing. Also the way towns are divided into school districts you may live really close to a particular school but go to another a bit further away.
Also don't forget we have the big yellow school buses to get your child to and from school too!

Good luck with the move, I'm also from the UK

Old 07-28-2017, 07:01 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishak19 View Post

Please could you also advise how much distance do I need to be from school to get an admission in that school. Apologies if this is lame question but in London for good public schools you need to be within 300 meters or you don't get a space. I am trying to be an optimist here in case we have a choice of multiple properties near good schools early next year when we are planning our move.
If you go onto the realtor sites you should find that info. Scroll down a little and you will see it. This is a house in Darien. It has a pool and in your budget. You would also be at the Stamford border and train station in about 5 minutes

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_18962430/

Old 07-28-2017, 07:27 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awt1972 View Post
You don't need to worry about distance, or spaces. House/apartment will be in a certain school district and that is where your child will go. You can usually find maps with this information on each town's website or the house/apartment listing. Also the way towns are divided into school districts you may live really close to a particular school but go to another a bit further away.
Also don't forget we have the big yellow school buses to get your child to and from school too!

Good luck with the move, I'm also from the UK
Good point on the school buses. It obviously differs by school district or town but America generally has a very well organised system of school buses. In the UK, America is commonly derided for not doing public transport(ation) very well. This is one area where the US is miles ahead of the UK, where it's very common for the 'school run' to create traffic nightmares for miles around as car after car fights to park to drop of little johnny. Not to mention the environmental impact of individual drives to school.

Per above, the school districts are very clearly defined. They might be redrawn from time to time (with grandfathering) but usually they are pretty stable in places like CT that aren't growing very fast. Where in London/UK, distance is generally only one indicator of priority to get a place in a state school - others might be (gasp) your active practice of the school's religion, being 'statemented', etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut