Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:31 AM

504 posts, read 384,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I wouldn't mind if taxes were raised. Areas like property tax, gas tax, and income tax need to be address possibly lowered, reformed, or done away with. Also State spending needs to be curtailed. Reform to State wages. More State employee contribution to pensions/retirement funds and health benefits.
Two huge tax increases and the State is still in debt......... What makes you think raising some taxes will bring in more revenue? It's not working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 07:55 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
Two huge tax increases and the State is still in debt......... What makes you think raising some taxes will bring in more revenue? It's not working.
Exactly.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:55 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times
Quote:
I be okay if sales tax was raised to 8% to 10%. Do away with sales tax on prepared and packaged food/beverages. A flat income tax of 7% to 8% and income taxed is income collected after $30,000. Land value tax in lieu of property tax in cities in CT with more than 80,000 people. A flat low rate car sales tax. Also option of paying upfront car tax on recently purchased vehicles. Offer home owners a break by not having to only pay property tax not car tax. Cap mill rates at 55 Statewide. Flat business tax of 8% with an additional 2% for businesses with 100 or more employees. Lower gas tax to 25 cents or lower. Add electronic tolls and EZ-Pass to highways.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:20 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Quote:
Cut a few benefits here there????? It's still much better than the private sector.
Seriously. The magnitude of the benefits offered state employees here is shockingly different from the private sector. We can't support this any more. I'd rather see a salary increase on the front end and parity with the marketplace on fringe benefits. No state employee has to worry about stuffing $50K/ year into various retirement vehicles or coming up with a $4,000 deductible on healthcare.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:44 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Stop with the democrat talking points. Cut a few benefits here there????? It's still much better than the private sector.
Uhhh... I am a Republican so these points have nothing to do with politics. They are facts. Jay

Old 08-03-2017, 03:14 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Uhhh... I am a Republican so these points have nothing to do with politics. They are facts. Jay
Lol, sorry Jay but I hate to tell you, based on your posts here, you're not even close to being a Republican.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:06 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Lol, sorry Jay but I hate to tell you, based on your posts here, you're not even close to being a Republican.
Just because I support some social programs and do not blindly follow the ultra right conservative agenda that the a Republican Party promotes these days does not mean I do not believe their original core values. I think even a Ronald Reagan would be appalled at how right the party has gone and how controlled by big business it has become. Also, many mistake my pointing out both sides of issues as supporting one side or the other. The fact is that many of my posts do not actually reflect where I stand on the issues.

That said, if the dining tax prevents raising other taxes like taxes on businesses and helps the cities and towns that implement them, I would not be against it. A city like Hartford or Bridgeport would benefit from it so why not. I doubt many people would avoid dining there just because the tax is one percent more. On the other hand I do not agree with the part of the proposal that raises the sales tax. That is a non starter IMHO. Is that Republican enough for you? Jay

Old 08-03-2017, 06:17 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
The state should try the E-Z pass on the highways. There must have been a huge loss of revenue when they took away tolls. But the tolls were removed because of a horrible pile up at a toll booth. E-Z pass doesn't require toll booths--problem solved. You just have the pass on your windshield and drive right on through without even slowing down. It's recorded electronically. That's what Mass has on the Mass Pike.

How many people use CT just to pass through from the Mass Pike to NYC? They're paying to use the Mass Pike but once they get onto I-84, it's FREEEEEEE! For out of staters who don't have the E-Z pass, the state sends them a bill based upon a camera shot of their license plate. It's a money maker.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:41 PM

712 posts, read 541,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The state should try the E-Z pass on the highways. There must have been a huge loss of revenue when they took away tolls. But the tolls were removed because of a horrible pile up at a toll booth. E-Z pass doesn't require toll booths--problem solved. You just have the pass on your windshield and drive right on through without even slowing down. It's recorded electronically. That's what Mass has on the Mass Pike.

How many people use CT just to pass through from the Mass Pike to NYC? They're paying to use the Mass Pike but once they get onto I-84, it's FREEEEEEE! For out of staters who don't have the E-Z pass, the state sends them a bill based upon a camera shot of their license plate. It's a money maker.
Exactly. E-Z pass now is all automated with very little human involved. CT lost huge revenue and profit on this without E-Z pass. Now NYC bridges actually does it without any E-Z waiting, drive through as if no tolls and camera will handle that with E-Z or without E-Z pass cars.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:18 PM

21,721 posts, read 28,048,669 times
It is crazy to me that tolls haven't been installed. The number of out of state plates on 95 on the weekend is staggering. All getting a free ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut