Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 05:50 AM

82 posts, read 98,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It is crazy to me that tolls haven't been installed. The number of out of state plates on 95 on the weekend is staggering. All getting a free ride.

Exactly, We pay a lot to travel through NY, NJ and Mass. Why do we not capture this revenue?
If they are going to raise taxes yet again in this state, do it will tolls....and lock box those revenues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 05:59 AM

9,871 posts, read 7,623,771 times
I am for E-Z pass

Old 08-04-2017, 06:41 AM

504 posts, read 381,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I be okay if sales tax was raised to 8% to 10%. Do away with sales tax on prepared and packaged food/beverages. A flat income tax of 7% to 8% and income taxed is income collected after $30,000. Land value tax in lieu of property tax in cities in CT with more than 80,000 people. A flat low rate car sales tax. Also option of paying upfront car tax on recently purchased vehicles. Offer home owners a break by not having to only pay property tax not car tax. Cap mill rates at 55 Statewide. Flat business tax of 8% with an additional 2% for businesses with 100 or more employees. Lower gas tax to 25 cents or lower. Add electronic tolls and EZ-Pass to highways.
I actually like some of your ideas, but a high sales tax would hurt many businesses along the state borders. As for tolls? I would be ok with them, but again how tight of a lock does the lock box have? Knowing Malloy he would shoot the lock off with a gun if he had too.

Last edited by JayCT; 08-04-2017 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: Removed off topic comment

Old 08-04-2017, 07:55 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,699,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Just because I support some social programs and do not blindly follow the ultra right conservative agenda that the a Republican Party promotes these days does not mean I do not believe their original core values. I think even a Ronald Reagan would be appalled at how right the party has gone and how controlled by big business it has become. Also, many mistake my pointing out both sides of issues as supporting one side or the other. The fact is that many of my posts do not actually reflect where I stand on the issues.

That said, if the dining tax prevents raising other taxes like taxes on businesses and helps the cities and towns that implement them, I would not be against it. A city like Hartford or Bridgeport would benefit from it so why not. I doubt many people would avoid dining there just because the tax is one percent more. On the other hand I do not agree with the part of the proposal that raises the sales tax. That is a non starter IMHO. Is that Republican enough for you? Jay
But Jay, there's more to it than that. It's not just the issue of how far right-wing the party has become. There's the pivotal issue of taxes, and a true Republican would acknowledge that we can't keep raising or adding new taxes --- not because Grover Norquist says not to, but because it just doesn't work as we've seen. Republicans in the Northeast are comparatively more moderate -- and better -- than the norm and oftentimes their way of doing things work well. Case in point: Charlie Baker. The first thing he did when becoming governor of Massachusetts was lower state income taxes, and then he did it again. Massachusetts has a fine economy right now, and that won't be changing anytime soon. Now contrast that with the bumbling idiots of OUR state who sit and ask themselves "Hmmmmm, what else can we tax here?", oblivious to the fact that it won't work. How do we know this? Well, our state income tax that we implemented didn't solve anything, nor did the two largest tax increases in state history under Dannell's watch. They have, however, done a great job of perpetuating a culture for political correctness to thrive, it's just a shame that this isn't the tide that will lift all boats. This state and its cities have been in a downward spiral for decades largely due to the leadership at the helm, and it's time for a change.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:48 AM

If we had a special sales tax rate say of 5% on items $5000 Or over in the State and a used sales tax of 5% on items over $5000 purchased outside of the State.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:04 AM

26,649 posts, read 28,528,829 times
A Guide to Sales and Use Tax

The Mass sales tax. No tax on necessities like food and clothing, although on high priced clothing, there is tax.

There's a meals tax of 6.25%. More than that and I know I wouldn't be going out to eat much, if at all. I think New Hampshire has an 8% meals tax, kind of high. They don't have sales tax so that kind of balances it out.
If you live in NH, the property taxes would probably make CT people feel good in comparison.

I don't think necessities like food and clothing should be taxed. Put the taxes on luxuries, things that are purchased by people who can afford to pay tax and purchased by ordinary people not very often, things that are mostly denied to them.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:27 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,801,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A Guide to Sales and Use Tax

The Mass sales tax. No tax on necessities like food and clothing, although on high priced clothing, there is tax.

There's a meals tax of 6.25%. More than that and I know I wouldn't be going out to eat much, if at all. I think New Hampshire has an 8% meals tax, kind of high. They don't have sales tax so that kind of balances it out.
If you live in NH, the property taxes would probably make CT people feel good in comparison.

I don't think necessities like food and clothing should be taxed. Put the taxes on luxuries, things that are purchased by people who can afford to pay tax and purchased by ordinary people not very often, things that are mostly denied to them.

That is a nice idea, but if the tax is too high rich people will just shift their purchases to other states or even other countries.

CT already has a tax on certain luxury goods. I think its 7.75% whereas the normal sales tax is 6.35%. That's not much of a difference so I don't think many rich people would try to dodge it. I don't think this is something that can really be measured though since not many people are going to admit to tax fraud.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:34 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,801,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhenry View Post
Exactly, We pay a lot to travel through NY, NJ and Mass. Why do we not capture this revenue?
If they are going to raise taxes yet again in this state, do it will tolls....and lock box those revenues.

I don't think people understand that if we implement tolls we are just taxing ourselves. The majority of traffic on the roads are CT residents. I have read CT only has 30% of out of state traffic, but that number isn't accurate either due to all the people who register their cars in other states (especially FL) to dodge property taxes.

Trying to catch all the out of state "free loaders" is a sorry excuse for putting up tolls.

The one side benefit i could see with tolls is it would stop every one from believing that roads are "free" when you have to drop 2 bucks to go from Stamford to New Haven each way or Hartford to Springfield.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:30 PM

712 posts, read 538,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I don't think people understand that if we implement tolls we are just taxing ourselves. The majority of traffic on the roads are CT residents. I have read CT only has 30% of out of state traffic, but that number isn't accurate either due to all the people who register their cars in other states (especially FL) to dodge property taxes.

Trying to catch all the out of state "free loaders" is a sorry excuse for putting up tolls.

The one side benefit i could see with tolls is it would stop every one from believing that roads are "free" when you have to drop 2 bucks to go from Stamford to New Haven each way or Hartford to Springfield.
The future is with public transportation like trains. Isn't better if CT people no longer believe roads are "free"?

I care less about highway and car driving. Metro north train, shoreline east, Hartford line are future of CT state wide transportation.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:17 PM

Off topic. I think for CT more car/van pool lanes and designated roadways for busses only that run parallel to the highway be a good thing for the State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut