Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 08:58 AM

570 posts, read 476,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

BTW, UBS Nashville has more staff than UBS & RBS has had combined, at any point the last 3 years, in Stamford.

The Northeast stranglehold on this sector is going to wither away. Not die off, but the sector's jobs will be dispersed to far more cities and nations.
Yep. This applies to back office as well as middle office functions (trade/transaction support, trader PNL etc). Compliance roles are also moving. I don't think people outside banking space see the drastic movement away from NYC area for many middle class and upper middle class jobs. Poland has been growing for years and steadily taking many finance jobs away. India continues to get bulk of tech roles. You couple this with influx of H1B and their H4 spouses and area is flooded with cheap worker alternatives.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 05:51 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Yep. This applies to back office as well as middle office functions (trade/transaction support, trader PNL etc). Compliance roles are also moving. I don't think people outside banking space see the drastic movement away from NYC area for many middle class and upper middle class jobs. Poland has been growing for years and steadily taking many finance jobs away. India continues to get bulk of tech roles. You couple this with influx of H1B and their H4 spouses and area is flooded with cheap worker alternatives.

I agree. We compete globally even when we do not realize it.

It affects other functions, too.

I know of many FFC corps which have outsourced a lot of what was entry level grad Finance work to Asia, while they maintain a smaller quantity of senior to lower mgmt. tasks here, but for how long, tbd.

Insurance has mimicked that also.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:07 AM

487 posts, read 536,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Quote:
I agree. We compete globally even when we do not realize it.

It affects other functions, too.

I know of many FFC corps which have outsourced a lot of what was entry level grad Finance work to Asia, while they maintain a smaller quantity of senior to lower mgmt. tasks here, but for how long, tbd.

Insurance has mimicked that also.
We outsourced the majority of our back office 12+ yrs ago to India and Poland. Has been the norm in Finance and Banking for some time now.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:43 AM

180 posts, read 214,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
You should take a look at the Wassaic train station parking lot on a weekday afternoon. You're guaranteed to see license plates from 4 states (CT, NY, MA, VT). I think the people that are there from VT are from the Bennington area, and stay in New York for the week and go home on the weekends, but even one way that's a good 4 to 4.5 hour trip into New York (2 hours in the car, 2 train ride), and than combined 9 to 10 hours home and back.
Jeez. I sure hope those VT plates aren’t daily commuters!

I have heard of people commuting from SW MA via Wassaic train station. What is that, 45 minutes to the state border? Hope that job pays well....

Old 01-17-2019, 11:50 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashowofhands View Post
Jeez. I sure hope those VT plates aren’t daily commuters!

I have heard of people commuting from SW MA via Wassaic train station. What is that, 45 minutes to the state border? Hope that job pays well....
I wouldn't be surprised to find those VT plates are cars registered at a second home to avoid high insurance and tax rates.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:46 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to find those VT plates are cars registered at a second home to avoid high insurance and tax rates.
Exactly my thoughts.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:05 AM

251 posts, read 203,248 times
I don't commute into NYC regularly anymore but took the train from West Haven to GCT last Tuesday morning. The train station is very nice. However, a couple observations. I literally found the last day-parking (pay at meter) space at 8:40 am. I checked both the northbound and southbound lots. When the train arrived, I was surprised at how full it already was, and it was the full-length train, not short on cars (I asked the conductor). And these people did not get off in Stamford or prior to GCT, in fact, almost no one did. They were all going to NYC and they had monthly passes. I was pretty amazed at how many people got on from WH and south, especially Milford and Stratford, with monthly passes to GCT. I remember back in the day, when the WH train station did not even exist yet, that hardly anyone commuted regularly from that far north. Interesting how times change. Does anyone know if there are plans to expand the parking at those lots?

Old 01-19-2019, 07:42 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
I think he wins worst commute I have heard of.

Makes my Milford-NYC commute seem ok.

I once read about some magazine asking people to name their super commutes and the winner won a car or something big that is commuting related and the winner was actually a guy who lived in Norwalk but commuted (by car) to the southwestern suburbs of Boston

Old 01-24-2019, 06:41 AM

42 posts, read 43,100 times
Thanks for sharing this article. I can't imagine commuting 2 hours+ for work everyday! I think if it was once or twice a week then the commute is tolerable but Everyday. Although I can see the beauty of living in the big house, low taxes and lower cost of living in general. Maybe the lower cost of living is worth the commute?

Old 01-25-2019, 08:40 AM

712 posts, read 541,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_MD View Post
I don't commute into NYC regularly anymore but took the train from West Haven to GCT last Tuesday morning. The train station is very nice. However, a couple observations. I literally found the last day-parking (pay at meter) space at 8:40 am. I checked both the northbound and southbound lots. When the train arrived, I was surprised at how full it already was, and it was the full-length train, not short on cars (I asked the conductor). And these people did not get off in Stamford or prior to GCT, in fact, almost no one did. They were all going to NYC and they had monthly passes. I was pretty amazed at how many people got on from WH and south, especially Milford and Stratford, with monthly passes to GCT. I remember back in the day, when the WH train station did not even exist yet, that hardly anyone commuted regularly from that far north. Interesting how times change. Does anyone know if there are plans to expand the parking at those lots?
You were lucky to get a rare parking paid spot at 8:40am.

I think many days West Haven parking lot is full before 8:30am , and only have a couple of spots for monthly pass holders.

Things changed a lot in Metro North trains over past year. I noticed dramatic increase of riders from NH/WH on the trains between 8 to 9am. Many goes to Fairfield County or NYC on monthly pass from New Haven area. I suspect this may have to do with Hartford line riders as well who transfer at NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut