Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 03:56 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I couldn't find an article on it, but there was some contest a few years ago for "most insane daily commuter in the US" and the winner was actually someone who commuted daily from Norwalk to some software firm on 128 just outside of Boston.
Yeah, knew of that guy, he was from Darien.
Believe it was mentioned here before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 07:32 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree that it is crazy but only because you had the chance to work closer and did not accept it. Still this is your choice and you seem to be happy with it so who are we to judge. Jay
No worries..... I do wish Connecticut car dealerships would pay like they do in NY..... It's amazing and pathetic how wide the gap is....... But as I have said many times before........ Never moving back to NY. . I'm planning to semi retire in 12 years from what I do so I'm optimizing my income. House will be paid off in 9-10 years so I am trying to get as much as possible until then. That's our plan anyway. Only one of the jobs offered to me up here were sort of promising..... And that was still 30,000 less than current salary...... That's a lot

Old 08-01-2017, 08:07 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I couldn't find an article on it, but there was some contest a few years ago for "most insane daily commuter in the US" and the winner was actually someone who commuted daily from Norwalk to some software firm on 128 just outside of Boston.
If he was from Darien that makes zero sense. There's no town in the Boston area that expensive. You could live like a king up there.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:55 PM

34,927 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
If he was from Darien that makes zero sense. There's no town in the Boston area that expensive. You could live like a king up there.
What makes you think that? The inner suburbs of Boston are pretty expensive. Check out home prices in Brookline, Newton and Wellesley. Also towns like Weston, Lexington, Concord and Arlington are high too. If I remember correctly that guy from Darien worked in New York but got an offer he could not refuse. His family did not want to move so he started commuting. I wonder how long that lasted. I can't imagine it was for long. Jay

Old 08-01-2017, 10:13 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
My 54 mile commute to Westchester is 60 minutes in the morning............and.......... 1 1/2 hours - 1 hour 45 minutes coming home.......But 90 % on here knew that about me anyway......yep......I'm crazy........
I drove from Manchester to New London for 5 years. about 55 miles door to door. Of course traffic was rarely a problem other then 85 backing up tru Salem on nice afternoons in the summer with people headed home from the shore.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:47 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What makes you think that? The inner suburbs of Boston are pretty expensive. Check out home prices in Brookline, Newton and Wellesley. Also towns like Weston, Lexington, Concord and Arlington are high too. If I remember correctly that guy from Darien worked in New York but got an offer he could not refuse. His family did not want to move so he started commuting. I wonder how long that lasted. I can't imagine it was for long. Jay
Of all the towns you mentioned, only Weston MA comes close to Darien in price per square foot, which is $516. Darien is still quite a bit higher at538. That said, the median home price in both towns is very similar. So in PPSqF, almost no town in greater Boston is as high as Darien. That surprised me, too.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 08-02-2017 at 05:16 AM..

Old 08-02-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Of all the towns you mentioned, only Weston MA comes close to Darien in price per square foot, which is $516. Darien is still quite a bit higher at538. That said, the median home price in both towns is very similar. So in PPSqF, almost no town in greater Boston is as high as Darien. That surprised me, too.
Plus working in the Route 128 tech corridor, you can live in a really nice town that's a fraction of Darien cost and have a very short commute. Don't have to live directly outside Boston

Old 08-02-2017, 07:36 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Plus working in the Route 128 tech corridor, you can live in a really nice town that's a fraction of Darien cost and have a very short commute. Don't have to live directly outside Boston
I'm unfamiliar with that area but did notice that even a city center employment for many metros (except maybe SF), you don't have to go out nearly as far as you do for NYC to find more affordable homes.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm unfamiliar with that area but did notice that even a city center employment for many metros (except maybe SF), you don't have to go out nearly as far as you do for NYC to find more affordable homes.
Yes, I would add LA to that list of unaffordable areas that require an uncomfortable commute.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:13 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Huh? The commutes to the tech office parks that ring 128 are awful. People pay a big premium to live in nice suburban towns with good school systems that are 5 miles from the office. 128 is just like I-95 in Fairfield County at rush hour. There's no public transportation option since all the commuter rail goes to Back Bay, North Station, and South Station.

If you work walkable from South Station or Back Bay Station, then yeah, there are tons of lower cost housing options where you can take commuter rail. If you're in an office building in Burlington, Waltham, or Fresh Pond Circle, you have to flex your hours to be at your desk by 6am and out the door by 2:30pm or you'll spend an hour+ sitting in traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut