Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 02:31 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
There are some nice apartments in West Hartford too.

The coast is not an easy commute by any means. But towns you'd want to consider are Milford and Branford. Not sure I can recommend others because of distance. Those 2 are still far, but they have good highway access to 91/15.

You could also consider somewhere like Hamden, which is close enough to the coast but has easy 91 access.
What is the traffic like on I-91 at rush hour? I think I'd want to be north of I-84 for a BDL daily commute but I don't drive those roads every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 05:06 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What is the traffic like on I-91 at rush hour? I think I'd want to be north of I-84 for a BDL daily commute but I don't drive those roads every day.
It's pretty clear sailing until Hartford, then it gets pretty backed up.

Getting on 15 going south is always backed up.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:12 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Much of it depends upon how "street smart" you are and also the people around you. Back in the 80's I had a condo for a while at the corner of Farmington, Ave. and Marshall St. Right near the AETNA HQ's. Mark Twain House right down the street. High crime area. Yet, during my time there I don't recall anyone giving me any trouble. Aside from someone buzzing my condo at 1 AM a couple of times asking me if I wanted to buy some Hash, I don't recall a single issue. Not one. I minded my own business and in turn, the criminal types left me alone. That has been the case in most places I've lived that happened to be in high crime areas of a city.

Might be possible to find a map of Hartford showing where crime is. I found something like that online for Toledo, OH a few years ago. Easy to ID which neighborhoods are safe to relatively safe and those that are high crime.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:21 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Red circle worst part of Hartford some spots can be danger zones and blue circle some pockets of seedy parts

Old 08-01-2017, 05:49 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Red circle worst part of Hartford some spots can be danger zones and blue circle some pockets of seedy parts

I disagree with the red zone. You've included areas like the West End that are crime free. The red area should be re-drawn to exclude Blue Hills (west of Keney Park) and Asylum Avenue. I work in Blue Hills, and believe me, it is tame compared to the other areas of the North End (east of the park).

Old 08-01-2017, 07:12 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I always recommend living on the same side of Hartford as you work to avoid commuting through downtown. I-91 northbound begins to backup around the Wethersfield town line with traffic backing up on the highway from Exit 29 - the Charter Oak Bridge exit. That exit is scheduled to be rebuilt starting late next year but it will be 3 to 4 years for construction. Still would not recommend it. Jay

Old 08-01-2017, 07:50 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I disagree with the red zone. You've included areas like the West End that are crime free. The red area should be re-drawn to exclude Blue Hills (west of Keney Park) and Asylum Avenue. I work in Blue Hills, and believe me, it is tame compared to the other areas of the North End (east of the park).
I re-draw the map base on Hartford homicides map 2012-2017

Red color is worst area in Hartford
Blue color things can get rough with some pocket areas
Yellow it not that bad but street smarts

Red is worst, Blue things can be little rough, Yellow not that bad

Old 08-01-2017, 07:56 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

Your red area is fairly accurate Except for some of the southern edges which include NoDo where the new ballpark is located and the area south of the Hartford on Asylum which is safe. I am not sure I agree with your blue areas. You circled Parkville, Park Street west of I-84 which has gotten a lot better in recent years. We go to some great restaurants there and never have had an issue or feel unsafe. You also have parts of southern downtown like Capitol Avenue and Charter Oak which are very safe. Some of the city's best restaurants are on that section of Main Street and there have not been issues as long as I have lived in this area. You also circled an area of Southwest off New Britain Avenue. I am not aware of any problems in that area but I could be wrong. Jay

Old 08-01-2017, 10:20 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times
If your working at Brainard, I would recommend somewhere along the western edge of the CT river Rocky Hill, Wethersfield , Cromwell etc all an easy commute.

If your at Bradley the Northern suburbs would be better Suffield Windsor etc. You can also live East of the river and cross on 291 easily. So Manchester South Windsor. etc wouldn't be bad. You can commute to the shore but it's going to be close to an hour commute. Any reason for the shore line?

Old 08-02-2017, 08:45 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
If your at Bradley the Northern suburbs would be better Suffield Windsor etc. You can also live East of the river and cross on 291 easily. So Manchester South Windsor. etc wouldn't be bad. You can commute to the shore but it's going to be close to an hour commute. Any reason for the shore line?
My personal experience is that there are often a few miles of congestion from I-291 northwards on I-91N in the morning. Not a dead stop but it's not the clear sailing you'd expect on a reverse commute.

I lived in Suffield for a bit 20 years ago. Pay attention to airport noise anywhere near BDL.

I've always done my best to arrange my adult working life to mostly live on salt water. I can certainly understand why someone would be asking about a commute inland. At the moment, my ocean living strategy is in smoldering ruins and my house is being used as a weekend summer place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut