Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:34 AM

373 posts, read 348,728 times

Advertisements

Is Hartford a safe and nice city ? All I've heard is that it's very ghetto and unsafe and tons of gang violence ?
If I were to work that the Hartford airport which coastal cities could I live in for a not too long commute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 06:57 AM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
Is Hartford a safe and nice city ? All I've heard is that it's very ghetto and unsafe and tons of gang violence ?
If I were to work that the Hartford airport which coastal cities could I live in for a not too long commute
Bradley or Brainerd?

Bradley is in Windsor Locks, which is 20 minutes north of Hartford and probably an hour from the shore if you go directly south.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:34 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
The coast is about 45 mins from Hartford so I wouldn't recommend that commute.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:44 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Much of Hartford is safe. Like every city, most of the problems are limited to a few neighborhoods. The safest areas of Hartford are downtown and the West End. The South End and Southwest are also decent. Definitely avoid the North End which is where the majority of crime in the city occurs.

As others noted Hartford is about 45 minutes north of the coast. Brainard Airport is in Hartford so a commute to there from the coast will be at least that long. Bradley International is about 20 minutes north of Hartford so a commute from the coast to there would be well over an hour. I too would not recommend that. Jay

Old 08-01-2017, 07:54 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Much of Hartford is safe. Like every city, most of the problems are limited to a few neighborhoods. The safest areas of Hartford are downtown and the West End. The South End and Southwest are also decent. Definitely avoid the North End which is where the majority of crime in the city occurs.

As others noted Hartford is about 45 minutes north of the coast. Brainard Airport is in Hartford so a commute to there from the coast will be at least that long. Bradley International is about 20 minutes north of Hartford so a commute from the coast to there would be well over an hour. I too would not recommend that. Jay
Franklin Ave, Maple, Park St, New Britain Ave corridor can be rough sometimes

Old 08-01-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Franklin Ave, Maple, Park St, New Britain Ave corridor can be rough sometimes
These are pretty long streets. It really depends where on those streets you are. Franklin Avenue south of say Brown Street is fine, north of it gets sketchy. Same for Maple. Park Street in Parkville, west of I-84 is also fine. New Britain Avenue out past Rocky Ridge Park in Southwest is also not bad. All depends on where you are on these major streets. Jay

Old 08-01-2017, 10:35 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
It all depends on where you are. The link below illustrates the city's neighborhoods. Some neighborhoods are decent but on a street-specific basis (Parkville, Southwest), and then there are those that should be avoided (Upper Albany, Clay Arsenal, Northeast). IMO Downtown is the one area that is consistently safe and well-kept, the reason being is this area gets the most foot traffic (and actual traffic), and it's where the state is pouring most of its money into. The city's West Side can be beautiful, but again, it all depends on where you are as it varies: You have some streets lined with grand estates and prewar homes with manicured lawns, but keep going south of Farmington Avenue and apartments replace homes, the curb appeal diminishes, and it's just overall a less desirable area. Agree that Park Street west of I-84 is decent, as is all of Franklin, Farmington and Asylum Avenue. New Britain Ave is alright. Wethersfield Ave was filthy the last time I rode it this past spring, and I didn't fear for my safety, but I did see open air drug dealing in daylight hours --- and there's a high probability that you'll see that if you drive down Albany Avenue (especially east of Saint Francis Hospital on Woodland Street) or Main Street north of downtown. Avoid these areas.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hart...=1501604399155

Old 08-01-2017, 11:54 AM

413 posts, read 317,503 times
You can live in West Hartford and have a back road commute to Bradley (25 minutes top). That might be a good option if you want a single family home. But if you want apartment living then downtown Hartford is probably what you are looking for.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:01 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
You can live in West Hartford and have a back road commute to Bradley (25 minutes top). That might be a good option if you want a single family home. But if you want apartment living then downtown Hartford is probably what you are looking for.
There are some nice apartments in West Hartford too.

The coast is not an easy commute by any means. But towns you'd want to consider are Milford and Branford. Not sure I can recommend others because of distance. Those 2 are still far, but they have good highway access to 91/15.

You could also consider somewhere like Hamden, which is close enough to the coast but has easy 91 access.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
And there are buses (the Bradley Flyer) on CT Transit that will take you express from downtown to the airport. That could make an easy commute depending where at the airport your job is. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut