Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 01:00 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,392,419 times

Advertisements

The Courant has an article about Oxford's higher than average opiate overdoses. Yet still, people will think this is just a Bridgeport or Hartford problem:
Oxford Struggles With Drug Deaths Killing Young Men - Hartford Courant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 01:08 PM

21,582 posts, read 31,026,244 times
Neighboring Newtown, Monroe, Southbury, Seymour and Shelton also have a massive opiate addiction problem. This article outlines a major contributor - that this cluster of towns are suburbs of and a quick drive to Bridgeport, Danbury and Waterbury, where the majority of the heroin distribution is.

Not only do people think this is just a city problem, they think addicts can simply stop using cold turkey. They can't.

People in these small suburbs need to realize - yes, this is happening in your town. No, it is not just an urban problem.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:22 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,161,474 times
Rec drug use has always been a suburban problem since the beginning of time, nothing new.
Opiates are huuuge in the valley especially. The higher blue collar working class population there suffers construction work related injuries, then prescrips to heroin.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:33 PM

21,582 posts, read 31,026,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Rec drug use has always been a suburban problem since the beginning of time, nothing new.
Opiates are huuuge in the valley especially. The higher blue collar working class population there suffers construction work related injuries, then prescrips to heroin.
From my personal [firsthand] experiences, these are not blue collar addicts. They're children of white collar families.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:22 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,161,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
From my personal [firsthand] experiences, these are not blue collar addicts. They're children of white collar families.
yeah, combine the two and the problem is out of control
My spouse grew up in the valley, it seems like once or twice/year she knows or hears of someone from high school who passed away from substance issues or suicides.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:54 PM

21,593 posts, read 27,851,122 times
Quote:
Neighboring Newtown, Monroe, Southbury, Seymour and Shelton also have a massive opiate addiction problem. This article outlines a major contributor - that this cluster of towns are suburbs of and a quick drive to Bridgeport, Danbury and Waterbury, where the majority of the heroin distribution is.

Not only do people think this is just a city problem, they think addicts can simply stop using cold turkey. They can't.

People in these small suburbs need to realize - yes, this is happening in your town. No, it is not just an urban problem.
As I understand, it's pretty bad in New Milford too. And worsening in Brookfield.

It doesn't help that many of these towns have limited things to do and outlets for young people. Having grown up in one of those towns, it can get very, very boring as a teen and young adult. That doesn't help with the drug situation, combined with parents that may not be home much, and have a lot of disposable income.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:58 PM

21,593 posts, read 27,851,122 times
Quote:
Yep, out of my high school class of 200, I know of at least 4 that overdosed or had other opioid-related deaths (suicide while coming off). That is an insane percentage when you think about it, and they were all upper middle class.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:49 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,799,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
The Courant has an article about Oxford's higher than average opiate overdoses. Yet still, people will think this is just a Bridgeport or Hartford problem:
Oxford Struggles With Drug Deaths Killing Young Men - Hartford Courant
It's getting more press because middle class people are starting to OD. No one cared when opiates were killing people in southeast Kentucky, the ghettos of Bridgeport, or any American ghetto for that matter.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:43 PM

9,869 posts, read 7,619,143 times
Opiates are cheap. Outside of illegal street drugs can get them from the ER, now craking down on it. Opiates are a cheaper psych med. Not much treatment in the State. State facilities are shutting down and private/non-profit facilities are on overflow. Illegal drugs have a good route from NYC up to Boston to Portland to Canada.

Best thing to do is legalize weed and decriminalize heroin. Place an excise tax on marijuanna and large fines on those selling heroin.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:04 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,799,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Opiates are cheap. Outside of illegal street drugs can get them from the ER, now craking down on it. Opiates are a cheaper psych med. Not much treatment in the State. State facilities are shutting down and private/non-profit facilities are on overflow. Illegal drugs have a good route from NYC up to Boston to Portland to Canada.

Best thing to do is legalize weed and decriminalize heroin. Place an excise tax on marijuanna and large fines on those selling heroin.
I thought it was the other way around. The pills like oxy or vicodin are like $10 each, but heroin is maybe $25 a bag. I'm not really sure - maybe I will ask my dealer next time I see him.

The issue with opiates is they are over prescribed then people OD or they can't get the pills any more and choose heroin instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut