Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 06:05 PM

10 posts, read 5,330 times

Advertisements

So i need help! I recently quit my last job due to getting offered another job gave the proper 2 weeks notice until my last day, i get a call from the new job saying my start date got pushed from july 24th to september 5th!!! Now im without a job or income! I applied for unemployment and have a hearing the 15th but im not sure if thats proper cause to receive unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 06:07 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
You can't get unemployment when you voluntarily leave a job.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:11 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You can't get unemployment when you voluntarily leave a job.
This.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:22 PM

Even if it wasnt my fault that the new job pushed the start date to a later date at last notice?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:24 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie92 View Post
Even if it wasnt my fault that the new job pushed the start date to a later date at last notice?
That's not exactly a hardship the state should compensate you for. Didn't you get an offer in writing before you quit your job?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:25 PM

Yes i have an email from the new employer stating a start date of july 10th then they went ahead and called me and said for july 24th now they said september 5th and i already had given my proper 2 weeks notice so my boss had already found a replacement

Old 08-02-2017, 06:34 PM

You left voluntarily. Unemployment is for people who are laid off or downsized though no fault of their own.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:42 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie92 View Post
So i need help! I recently quit my last job due to getting offered another job gave the proper 2 weeks notice until my last day, i get a call from the new job saying my start date got pushed from july 24th to september 5th!!! Now im without a job or income! I applied for unemployment and have a hearing the 15th but im not sure if thats proper cause to receive unemployment?

DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY OF THE REPLIES SO FAR.

First thing you should do is pose your question exactly as written above in the unemployment forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemployment/

make sure you say your claim is in CT. There are very knowledgeable people in that forum, some are retired examiners.

You can file for unemployment for any reason and there's no penalty if you lose, so essentially there's no reason NOT to file.

Based on what you wrote most likely you do qualify. The big issue is what you wrote when you first applied for unemployment. Its best to say nothing and wait for the hearing. A lot of people say too much and disqualify themselves.

If you have a start date via a letter or email keep that. If you have an email with the revised start date make sure to keep that as well. Those two pieces are your tickets to winning this claim.

The responses you're getting here and most likely will continue to get will be some variation of "get off the Govt checks, you don't deserve it, find a job you loser, etc"

The people on this forum have no clue how unemployment works and if they were in the same situation they would be the first people to file a claim.

Please come back and let us know how it worked out.

P.S. I also highly suspect that if your start date was pushed back, the job may not be available any more and they may be trying to string you along. Therefore, I would also try looking for a new job in the meantime and consider unemployment as a back up. No matter what course you choose please do not abandon the claim.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY OF THE REPLIES SO FAR.

First thing you should do is pose your question exactly as written above in the unemployment forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemployment/

make sure you say your claim is in CT. There are very knowledgeable people in that forum, some are retired examiners.

You can file for unemployment for any reason and there's no penalty if you lose, so essentially there's no reason NOT to file.

Based on what you wrote most likely you do qualify. The big issue is what you wrote when you first applied for unemployment. Its best to say nothing and wait for the hearing. A lot of people say too much and disqualify themselves.

If you have a start date via a letter or email keep that. If you have an email with the revised start date make sure to keep that as well. Those two pieces are your tickets to winning this claim.

The responses you're getting here and most likely will continue to get will be some variation of "get off the Govt checks, you don't deserve it, find a job you loser, etc"

The people on this forum have no clue how unemployment works and if they were in the same situation they would be the first people to file a claim.

Please come back and let us know how it worked out.

P.S. I also highly suspect that if your start date was pushed back, the job may not be available any more and they may be trying to string you along. Therefore, I would also try looking for a new job in the meantime and consider unemployment as a back up. No matter what course you choose please do not abandon the claim.
Sure, there's no penalty, but if you collect and its later determined that you were ineligible and have to pay it all back. We had a guy who got fired, filed for unemployment (and collected) until the hearing. Our company contested it and won and he had to pay back the unemployment he collected.

When you file a claim for unemployment, it the most recent employer who gets dinged for the claim. You can bet that they will contest the claim as she voluntarily left. Why would they pay?

I'll give the OP a nickel's worth of free advice - ditch the message boards and talk to a lawyer.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:03 PM

Thank you so much! I went ahead and did what you said to do, and yes even though i said yes for september 5th ive applied at multiple places as well as with temp agencies just in case they keep changing the start date!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut