Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 04:30 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times

Advertisements

That's nothing. 680k in my neighborhood (Brownstone Brooklyn) will get you a 400 square foot studio.

Darien is one of the most expensive communities in CT. Excepting Greenwich, Westport and New Canaan, basically everywhere else in the entire state will be cheaper.

So why not look elsewhere in CT? Darien is oriented to finance industry professionals, where 680k is nothing.

Also, Schaumburg is not remotely equivalent to Darien. Schaumburg is just a sprawly middle class suburb of Chicago.

There are some comparable Chicago-area towns to Darien, but they're mostly on the North Shore (Winnetka, Wilmette, Kenilworth) and maybe Hinsdale. And they aren't much cheaper (even though the Chicago area is much less desirable and has worse career opportunities).

Old 08-11-2017, 04:43 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Really?

Trumbull Household Income 2015: $114,194
Fairfield Household Income 2015: $110,601
(City Data info)

BTW, Trumbull schools are now the best in it's DRG which includes Fairfield.

"But Cialfi said he was most proud that the students in Trumbull schools ranked #1 in Trumbull’s Demographic Resource Group (DRG) in SBAC performance. The state divides school systems into DRGs for comparison purposes. Trumbull’s group, DRG B, includes Fairfield, Greenwich, Monroe, Newtown, Cheshire and Madison, among others."
Trumbull students score among state
Not a like to like comparison. You keep doing that, comparing a large city to a small town. Everyone knows fairfield is far wealthier than trumbull.
Have a nice w/e.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:46 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Good luck selling that monstrocity out in the sticks. It might sell by 2020.
A developer built a bunch of mini-mansions on the border of Easton. They all sold within months not years.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...ne/pid_8731688

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...ne/pid_2796726

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...ne/pid_2434838

These are about 10 minutes from my house and I kept an eye on how long they would take to sell. Not that long. I could not believe someone would build these kinds of little mansions in Trumbull right after the crash of 2008, but they all sold in the million dollar range.

Sorry to go off topic but if some posters on here are going to paint a unflattering image of my town (and do it in a disparaging way) I must counter it with facts.

Last edited by CTartist; 08-11-2017 at 05:06 PM..

Old 08-11-2017, 04:57 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist;49157206
These are about 10 minutes from my house and I kept an eye on how long they would take to sell. Not that long. I could not believe someone would build these kinds of little mansions in Trumbull right after the crash of 2008, but they all sold [B
in the million dollar range.[/b]
$1 million for nice new construction in SW CT is not that bad, especially with good schools and location.

I think some people have unrealistic expectations. You're living like 30 miles from the most important city on the planet, and SW CT is one of the nicest parts of the tri-state area. You have the ocean, quaint towns, urban sophistication, natural beauty, etc.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
$1 million for nice new construction in SW CT is not that bad, especially with good schools and location.

I think some people have unrealistic expectations. You're living like 30 miles from the most important city on the planet, and SW CT is one of the nicest parts of the tri-state area. You have the ocean, quaint towns, urban sophistication, natural beauty, etc.
NOLA, some posters on here are always making disparaging remarks about Trumbull for some reason. Why I don't know as it is a nice town with great schools with mostly middle to upper class households. And they seem to take glee in disparaging a nice town like Trumbull which is very strange. They almost appear to be trolls.

I would also like to point out that Trumbull schools take in lower income children from Bridgeport and Stratford. I believe I have heard that the number could be upwards to 5% of the population of the schools. And yet we are top in our DRG over school systems includes Fairfield, Greenwich, Newtown and Madison etc. My town of Trumbull is to be commended for whatever they are doing in the schools not disparaged. I wonder if the other school systems in my DRG are taking in under privileged children from a city like Bridgeport.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:26 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

Trumbull is not 30 miles from NYC.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:21 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Sorry to go off topic but if some posters on here are going to paint a unflattering image of my town (and do it in a disparaging way) I must counter it with facts.
He wasn't disparaging against Trumbull. That type of house you posted is just not popular anymore. Gigantic McMansions in the woods are just not en vogue and have a tough time selling anywhere. Compound that with the fact that advice is always to not buy the most expensive home in the neighborhood, and that home becomes a bit of a white elephant.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
He wasn't disparaging against Trumbull. That type of house you posted is just not popular anymore. Gigantic McMansions in the woods are just not en vogue and have a tough time selling anywhere. Compound that with the fact that advice is always to not buy the most expensive home in the neighborhood, and that home becomes a bit of a white elephant.
Exactly.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
This is what he wrote.....

"Good luck selling that monstrocity out in the sticks. It might sell by 2020."

He is implying that Trumbull is "out in the sticks" which is laughable.

First of all you are showing your absolute ignorance of these types of homes in Trumbull. There is not just "one" of those houses surrounded by lessor houses. There are ENTIRE developments in the northern sections of Trumbull where the wealthy all live together in million dollar homes. These types of homes are in the northern area of Tashua Trumbull that borders Easton. Many of the streets in these developments of million dollar homes run right into Easton itself. It is a very desirable area. There is only one area outside of Tashua where there is a development like this.

Trumbull has the best school system in it's DRG (B DRG) and Tashua where most of these million dollar homes sit are in the best school district of Trumbull. What you don't understand is that you can move into the Tashua section of Trumbull and your kids can get an education most likely on par with Easton and all the other top DRG A towns.

Take a good look my friend. Trumbull is the top of the "B" DRG and that is important to MANY parents. Trust me, those houses will sell.

http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/LIB/sde/PD...06/appndxa.pdf

Isn't anyone wondering how/why Trumbull's household income is now starting to surpass that of Fairfield? It is the sale of these types of homes that have all been built within the last 10 years that is raising Trumbull's income level. If the million dollar homes were not selling (and not built in the first place), the HH income in Trumbull would not be rising like it is.

Last edited by CTartist; 08-11-2017 at 10:23 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 04:38 AM

Million dollar homes are selling in Trumbull at a far slower rate than they are down county. Trumbull also doesn't have the variety of housing Fairfield has, where many young singles reside (lowering the HH income, since most Trumbull homes are dual income). It's the same reason towns like Oxford and Monroe rank high in the HHI category. Don't get me wrong, Trumbull is a nice town, but Fairfield's wealthiest are far wealthier than Trumbull's, without a doubt. Re "out in the sticks", its not, but it's location simply doesn't command the high prices seeing in communities to the southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut