Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:34 PM

58 posts, read 190,166 times

Advertisements

What would you say would be more expensive, living in CT or living in NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 01:20 PM

311 posts, read 1,823,963 times
I think others have covered this on here before and i think most people will probably say NJ...

Old 03-13-2008, 01:22 PM

271 posts, read 1,278,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valene1992 View Post
What would you say would be more expensive, living in CT or living in NJ?

Read this article before you tackle this issue.

In many ways it would be hard to come up with better symbols for income inequality in America than New York's neighbors. There are few places in the United States where the line between urban poverty and suburban plenty is so persistent and so stark. ''It's amazing how you are struck in the face with this reality when you live in New Haven or you live in Newark,'' said Cory Booker, a Newark city councilman who has lived in both cities. In either place, he said, ''If you drive around outside the city, you see some of the largest houses in America.''

The rich-state, poor-cities phenomenon is carried through in several similarities between New Jersey and Connecticut, experts say, including a decidedly suburban mind-set; a host of political, social and economic issues that hinder urban revival; and the fact that neither state is quite as rich as statistics suggest.

Rich States, Poor Cities and Mighty Suburbs; In Connecticut and New Jersey, Urban Poverty Confronts Leafy Affluence

Old 03-13-2008, 08:49 PM

95 posts, read 291,976 times
I would say Connecticut based on the huge concentration of wealth in the Gold Coast and wealthy subburbs surrounding Hartford and New Haven. And Litchfield County is pretty pricey as well. Most towns on the shore are pretty expensive. Basically Northeast Ct would be the least expensive.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:11 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Actually northern NJ is more expensive then all of Connecticut save for some towns in Fairfield county. Median home price in greater Hartford has fallen to under 250K- while Northern NJ is still 400K and up- while central NJ is still higher then Greater Hartford.

Central NJ around Trenton is priced slightly higher then great Hartford.

Southern New Jersey (south of Philly) but not Cape May & Atlantic City- are about priced the same as parts of northeastern CT.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:18 AM

17 posts, read 51,481 times
Overall, New Jersey.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:40 AM

69 posts, read 184,123 times
Default NJ Taxes

We have been planning a move out of Central NJ (shore area) to CT. Our property taxes are .72 per $100 of assessed value. The property taxes will continue to go up because we have 500 municipalities, each with their own services. Our schools are mostly funded through property taxes. Unless there is a major change in the way schools are funded and municipalities start sharing services, I expect property taxes will continue to rise. This situation makes it very hard for people on fixed incomes to live here. Many people cannot retire here. There is an exodus from NJ going on right now. We hear talk about folks moving to North Carolina (why?) and others moving around the northeast. We have chosen CT because it is close to everything and is beautiful. SPACE!! We also see that property taxes are not nearly as high as NJ and that the state is not so messed up politically. (cronyism)

Old 03-16-2008, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 10,255 times
Stay out of Stamford if you want low taxes & good schools!!

Old 03-17-2008, 06:52 AM

4 posts, read 10,255 times
Ok, so when I posted that, I was a bit angry. The schools in Stamford are actually very good, especially if you have a child that is a good student. (that would be true any place) The problem is trying to get the continued funds to support the school system. The parents here fight to get what we need for our students and we usually get it done. Our mayor has made some poor decisions regarding the layout of our schools and the large additions to already large schools instead of opening a 3rd high school. When we get a new mayor, life in Stamford will hopefully go back to what it used to be! Our taxes are high and with a new re-evaulation, our property taxes are going to be very high this upcoming year. I was mad about that yesterday, which is the reason for the post.

The Stamford residents are fighting so the hit won't be so bad. It's going to be hard for retired people to pay this increase as well, so I worry about that. However, after reading a lot of these posts, I realized that our taxes aren't the worst in the country, which surprised me. It seems the taxes in FL are higher right now which is shocking.

I have lived in Stamford my whole life. I moved out for a short time to VA and moved back again. It is a nice place to bring up children. This town has a lot of diversity, culture, shopping, restaurants & nightlife. Mom & Pop type stores/restaurants still exist along with a few newer chains, which is a nice change as well. Stamford is not a town, it is a city. Depending on where you live it can be as lively or quiet as you want it to be. It's nice to have that option. It truly does have the best of all worlds in one place.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:37 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMom13 View Post
Stay out of Stamford if you want low taxes & good schools!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMom13 View Post
Ok, so when I posted that, I was a bit angry. The schools in Stamford are actually very good,
LOL To go off topic for a second...the first thing that came to mind was having a woman for president.

"Prime Minister Booboo, we are sorry your country was bombed yesterday - the Whitehouse was out of chocolate."

(Before everyone gets their hackles up...IT'S A JOKE and I'm not saying men are better or women are better - just that we ARE different beings. I appreciate women for their traits and guys for theirs.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut