Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:26 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Thanks for your input Kid. I purposely left off the Fairfield, Greenwich, Westport, Ridgefield area because whether I can afford it or not, I have no desire to live such an expensive lifestyle. For those who can and choose to, that's great; I prefer a simpler way of life.

As I said, I'm in the homework stage, and I'm no spring chicken. Obviously no matter where one lives, COL is more than a mortgage payment and taxes. So far though, all my comparisons of where I am now, to what I've seen so far in CT... I'm looking at a considerable savings.

I'm at the age where naivete is pretty much non-existent. No one should make a move without doing their due diligence, which is why I'm quite comfortable with the time it takes to do a thorough search.
Good that you're doing your homework. I cringe when people up and move their lives and either end up hating it or have much less disposable income than they thought. I'm going through a similar process and spent hours researching and number crunching. I, too, believe I'll be saving quite a bit (and I'll be 15 minutes from a major airport, as opposed to an hour an 15 minutes).

Hartford area, even though property taxes are pretty hefty, does have some bargain housing. It's not cheap when compared nationally, but when stacked against NYC/southern CT and Boston, it's relatively affordable.

That being said, I would not suggest East Hartford.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 08-20-2017 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 11:04 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,370 times
Thanks everyone! It helps to read your opinions on towns, because from the car, most of them look pretty quaint. Seymour, Wethersfield and Cromwell are now on the list because of your suggestions. I looked into Newington and Rocky Hill on a previous visit. Didn't find much, but liked the towns. Since the inventory will likely be much different by the time I've decided, they can stay on the list. The photo thread has also been a great help in showing not only some great scenery, but cute main street areas too.

I was surprised to find several affordable homes in Avon (and Simsbury too - just looked over my notes and forgot I scouted that out).

Interesting tidbit Stylo...I was skimming the TV last night and landed on a show about Daryl Hall restoring an old home in Seymour. Beautiful.

One thing I am hoping to better understand as I go forward , is mill rates. I end up looking at the bottom line on taxes, but not sure how mill rates influence tax increases.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:11 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times
Quote:
One thing I am hoping to better understand as I go forward , is mill rates. I end up looking at the bottom line on taxes, but not sure how mill rates influence tax increases.
The mill rate determines what you pay for property and auto tax. Each town assess a different mill rate so all else being equal a higher mill rate = higher taxes on home/auto. All else is rarely equal however as some of the most expensive towns to buy property in benefit from a relatively low mill rate. If home shopping across town lines this can be important to consider.

OPM: Mill Rates

Quote:
A mill is equal to $1.00 of tax for each $1,000 of assessment. To calculate the property tax, multiply the assessment of the property by the mill rate and divide by 1,000. For example, a property with an assessed value of $50,000 located in a municipality with a mill rate of 20 mills would have a property tax bill of $1,000 per year

Old 08-20-2017, 12:16 PM

Thank you GoHuskies for that explanation!!

Old 08-20-2017, 12:27 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone! It helps to read your opinions on towns, because from the car, most of them look pretty quaint. Seymour, Wethersfield and Cromwell are now on the list because of your suggestions. I looked into Newington and Rocky Hill on a previous visit. Didn't find much, but liked the towns. Since the inventory will likely be much different by the time I've decided, they can stay on the list. The photo thread has also been a great help in showing not only some great scenery, but cute main street areas too.

I was surprised to find several affordable homes in Avon (and Simsbury too - just looked over my notes and forgot I scouted that out).

Interesting tidbit Stylo...I was skimming the TV last night and landed on a show about Daryl Hall restoring an old home in Seymour. Beautiful.

I personally like Simsbury over Avon. It's got a great town center, with destination dining, weekly concerts, and the bike path which runs north/south through town. You may find more options in Simsbury in your price range.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I personally like Simsbury over Avon. It's got a great town center, with destination dining, weekly concerts, and the bike path which runs north/south through town. You may find more options in Simsbury in your price range.
That bike path is beautiful, if it's the one I'm thinking of. Is there a gorgeous planked pedestrian bridge - with lush hanging baskets of mixed flowers - that forks off from the path?

Old 08-20-2017, 12:34 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
I'm surprised a poster from Danbury hasnt chimed it on the hippest city in ct lol

Old 08-20-2017, 12:39 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
That bike path is beautiful, if it's the one I'm thinking of. Is there a gorgeous planked pedestrian bridge - with lush hanging baskets of mixed flowers - that forks off from the path?
That's correct! Another highlight is the somewhat hidden Lake Basile, off the bike path just north of town.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:00 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
I grew up and lived in East Hartford for many years. Many of relatives still live there. There are many beautiful neighborhoods. Yes, the schools are not top performing but that is what happens when you have a economically diverse population including larger numbers of people in poverty. Most areas of East Hartford are very safe. Areas with high concentration of affordable rents have more problems because there are higher concentrations of people living at the poverty level there.

Last edited by Lincolnian; 08-20-2017 at 02:09 PM..

Old 08-20-2017, 02:04 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This kind of says it all. Forbes Street is very busy. It is a major street through a denser suburban area so there is a lot of traffic, day and night. Schools in East Hartford do not generally perform well so it is not considered to be a desirable town. That is why the price is so low. Not knowing your budget and what wantor need, it is hard to make a recommendation of where to look. Jay
Jay, LaCava built many indentical homes in East Hartford and Glastonbury at the same exact time. Berkley Estates and Buttonball were building at the same time as were Eastbury estates on the East Hartford/Glastonbury line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut