Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 08:01 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times

Advertisements

Maybe it’s because we walked around more of the Borough than we had before. Maybe it was the relative emptiness during Labor Day weekend. Or the crowds at nearby Mystic. But I can't understand why Stonington Borough isn't more of a tourist attraction.

There's nothing like it in Connecticut. The dense layout of well preserved 18th and 19th stately homes is reminiscent of Newport or Edgartown. It's a beautiful, historic area to walk around with plenty of waterfront. There's even a strip of restaurants and cutesy galleries and shops.

I think it's far more historic and beautiful than nearby tourist trap Mystic.

It should be teeming with B&B's, but we only saw one. There were some out of town cars, but compared to Mystic it's downright sleepy. In all our times there, it's been super quiet.

Does the Borough want it that way? Do they not want to promote tourism? Or is it truly just undiscovered by Western CT, NYers, etc. My friends sure aren't aware of it.

By the way, Milagro is a great spot for Mexican food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 08:18 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
I agree. I lived in Mystic, (worked in Groton) but preferred Stonington, and would go there often. As you said, the architecture is beautiful, and I liked the Dog Watch Café, so would eat there a lot. It was nice to get away from the summer, weekend crowds in Mystic.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:28 AM

109 posts, read 161,020 times
We visit friends there every year and it always has a sleepy feel regardless of the time of year. So much beauty and history though!

Did you check out the Velvet Mill? Unfortunately I must always visit on days the majority of businesses are closed, I hear there's a good bakery in there too.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:52 AM

8,496 posts, read 4,557,552 times
Mystic a a fabrication of the past. Stonington Borough is the real deal.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:57 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Maybe it’s because we walked around more of the Borough than we had before. Maybe it was the relative emptiness during Labor Day weekend. Or the crowds at nearby Mystic. But I can't understand why Stonington Borough isn't more of a tourist attraction.

There's nothing like it in Connecticut. The dense layout of well preserved 18th and 19th stately homes is reminiscent of Newport or Edgartown. It's a beautiful, historic area to walk around with plenty of waterfront. There's even a strip of restaurants and cutesy galleries and shops.

I think it's far more historic and beautiful than nearby tourist trap Mystic.

It should be teeming with B&B's, but we only saw one. There were some out of town cars, but compared to Mystic it's downright sleepy. In all our times there, it's been super quiet.

Does the Borough want it that way? Do they not want to promote tourism? Or is it truly just undiscovered by Western CT, NYers, etc. My friends sure aren't aware of it.

By the way, Milagro is a great spot for Mexican food.

Most likely that's how the locals want it. Not sure if it would be legal or not to stop B&B's from opening, but I'm sure it would get a lot of opposition if someone tried.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:42 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Shhh... It is a secret. Tell too many people and it will become another Mystic or Newport. Don't want that. Jay

Old 09-05-2017, 04:23 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Most likely that's how the locals want it. Not sure if it would be legal or not to stop B&B's from opening, but I'm sure it would get a lot of opposition if someone tried.
Pretty much local code is strictly enforced to try and limit development hence limiting visitors. They try to avoid tourism etc. It is a very pretty town. It's kind of like Watch Hill thou the wealthy locals prefer to keep it a secret.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:15 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Pretty much local code is strictly enforced to try and limit development hence limiting visitors. They try to avoid tourism etc. It is a very pretty town. It's kind of like Watch Hill thou the wealthy locals prefer to keep it a secret.
We go to Watch Hill a lot and that's fairly touristy.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:54 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
We go to Watch Hill a lot and that's fairly touristy.
Very true but the residents actively discourage it.

The little restaurants and shops push the tourism but the residents try to block it. Back in the 80's it was a very quiet place.
The residents have managed to block parking on most streets and shrink the parking lots. They even have a rule making it illegal to drop people off at the beaches.
The rebuild of Ocean house and some billionaires and celebrities living there has really upped the tourism.

Proposed Watch Hill parking ban criticized | The Westerly Sun

Stonington has the same issue the restaurants etc in town have their own little tourism group but the town is reluctant to approve anything that might draw tourists in.

The Day - Unhappy in Stonington Borough - News from southeastern Connecticut

Old 09-05-2017, 07:59 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,750 times
A lot of the town of Stonington itself is really nice too. There are some beautiful neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut