Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 09:29 AM

331 posts, read 207,709 times

Advertisements

Dh and I are in our early 30s, have two toddlers with special needs and looking for a safe area with good special needs programs. Commute should be no longer than 15 minutes. Housing budget depends on property taxes, but based on what I've read ($500 a month?), I am hoping to find something 250-320k range.

Any suggestions or specific areas? I like Rocky Hill and Newington, anything else comparable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 09:43 AM

86 posts, read 106,772 times
I honestly wouldnt buy in Newington, Rocky Hill, Wethersfield etc.....Unless you want to go property tax poor...I have owned in wethersfield in the past and taxes just rose and rose every year there....There's alot of other areas that have good special needs programs...Do some research on it first but hebron ct area has good schools etc.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:59 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
Expect taxes to go higher when the towns starting paying into the Teachers' Retirement.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:34 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msp079 View Post
I honestly wouldnt buy in Newington, Rocky Hill, Wethersfield etc.....Unless you want to go property tax poor...
Big deal, that's pretty much the case for the whole state.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:15 AM

86 posts, read 106,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Big deal, that's pretty much the case for the whole state.
I agree but in turn there's a lot of areas you can get twice the house without paying twice the taxes

Old 09-14-2017, 11:38 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Expect taxes to go higher when the towns starting paying into the Teachers' Retirement.
The pension math for the usual 2% per year vesting teacher pension is about 15% to 20% of salary. In Massachusetts, union teacher comp is usually about half of the town budget. It shouldn't be awful (10% tax hike?) unless Connecticut is also making towns eat the unfunded pension liability.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:07 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
To be 15 minutes from Pratt & Whitney pretty much limits you to towns adjacent to East Hartford. Glastonbury is a great town. The schools are wonderful , it has nice parks and family activities and there is a nice selection of shops and restaurants. Despite its reputation of being for wealthy people, it is surprisingly diverse and affordable IMHO but well located and priced homes in your range will get sold quickly. Just looking at current listings shows few if any decent homes in your price range.

Wethersfield is also a wonderful town but your husband will have to cross the Connecticut River which while not horrible can be difficult at times. Rocky Hill and Newington are also nice and affordable but I think having a 15 minute commute from either of them will be difficult.

Another town you might consider is South Windsor. IT is beautiful and has a number of nice homes in your price range. The schools are very good and there is a lot of great shopping there and nearby. Getting from South Windsor to Pratt in 15 minutes though may be difficult.

As to you want to be under $500 per month on taxes, it is likely that you will have to be toward the lower end of your price range to do so. Many of the homes in these towns have taxes higher than $6,000 but not by much. I would suggest you look at home listings that interest you and consider the taxes they have. I think you might have to budget $10 to $70 more per month. Good luck, Jay

Old 09-14-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
To be 15 minutes from Pratt & Whitney pretty much limits you to towns adjacent to East Hartford. Glastonbury is a great town. The schools are wonderful , it has nice parks and family activities and there is a nice selection of shops and restaurants. Despite its reputation of being for wealthy people, it is surprisingly diverse and affordable IMHO but well located and priced homes in your range will get sold quickly. Just looking at current listings shows few if any decent homes in your price range.

Wethersfield is also a wonderful town but your husband will have to cross the Connecticut River which while not horrible can be difficult at times. Rocky Hill and Newington are also nice and affordable but I think having a 15 minute commute from either of them will be difficult.

Another town you might consider is South Windsor. IT is beautiful and has a number of nice homes in your price range. The schools are very good and there is a lot of great shopping there and nearby. Getting from South Windsor to Pratt in 15 minutes though may be difficult.

As to you want to be under $500 per month on taxes, it is likely that you will have to be toward the lower end of your price range to do so. Many of the homes in these towns have taxes higher than $6,000 but not by much. I would suggest you look at home listings that interest you and consider the taxes they have. I think you might have to budget $10 to $70 more per month. Good luck, Jay
Thanks, currently signed a lease in Rocky Hill and it takes about 15 minutes, plus dh is working nights. Our rent is $1800 for a two bedroom and we pay our own utilities. We are buying in a year, since that's how long our lease is. I am expanding our commute time based on what I am seeing. Dh thinks 25-30 minutes is reasonable if located in a good school district. We may have to raise the budget. But higher priced house means higher tax. Thanks again. I will check South Windsor out.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msp079 View Post
I honestly wouldnt buy in Newington, Rocky Hill, Wethersfield etc.....Unless you want to go property tax poor...I have owned in wethersfield in the past and taxes just rose and rose every year there....There's alot of other areas that have good special needs programs...Do some research on it first but hebron ct area has good schools etc.
Thank you for the suggestion. Hebron isn't too bad of a commute.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:45 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
South Windsor is a good bet Good commute good school reasonable prices and taxes tend to be a bit lower then Glastonbury. . Rocky Hill and Wethersfield are good same with Newington. Parts of Hebron and Marlborough may work as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut