Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important are NYC/Boston for you?
I'm obsessed! I'm there like every weekend! 6 11.11%
I go often, maybe once a month or every few months 20 37.04%
Once in a while I'll go, but don't really care much for them 9 16.67%
Practically never. I could care less about them. 19 35.19%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 12:27 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Where is the OP by the way? He's usually right in the fray. No ones criticizing or admonishing him so he's lost interest I guess.
Not sure if you saw it, but he posted that he was offered a job in Jacksonville, FL. He wanted to know if he should accept it. Unfortunately it was off topic to the Connecticut forum so I had to move it to the Work and Employment forum. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 01:19 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,945,187 times
I wasn't able to answer the poll because my situation was not listed as an option. I work in New York, so I go there every day even though I would rather not. If I didn't work there, I'd probably visit a few times per year. I visit Boston a few times per year, and I would love to go more. I like it a lot better than New York. I could go to Boston up to about 10x per year if I had enough time and could schedule it.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:51 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,325 times
another polling option should have been 'only once in a while though i like Boston (or NYC)'. i myself just got back from a few days in Boston a couple weeks ago. i like and prefer Boston but this was the first trip i made since i lived up there from 92-98.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:16 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
It's crazy to me the amount of people here who haven't been to NYC or Boston in decades. And we wonder why CT has a difficult time attracting young adults.

Get out there, people. There's a lot more to the world than your town green.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:26 PM

6,578 posts, read 4,966,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's crazy to me the amount of people here who haven't been to NYC or Boston in decades. And we wonder why CT has a difficult time attracting young adults.

Get out there, people. There's a lot more to the world than your town green.
I usually agree with you - but not here, at least not for me. I go out of state as often as I can. But I have no interest in a city. My trips in the past 10 years have been to WV and VA, events in VT, NH, MA and RI and visiting a friend in rural NY (in addition to all over CT). I mean, I drive out of my way on 84 to hit points south, even the eastern shore of VA. Apparently the only northeastern state I haven't been to in awhile is ME. I even drove to Rutland VT for a concert, which appeals to me more than going to Hartford or Boston for the same.

(still love ya Kid )

Old 09-24-2017, 05:44 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,204,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I am not denying the growth of NYC becuase it offers something to people however what does hating or disliking a place like NYC say about the person?
Very good question. Now this is gonna get interesting.

For those who are tired of NYC during workweek, and don't wanna go back there on the weekends -- this doesn't apply.

For others, it shows that you have a "provincial" mindset. In other words, for a little inconvenience of travel and congestion, you are willing to let go opportunities to visit the best museums in the country, perhaps the world, best performances in music, theater, dance. You are also missing out on the wide selection of venues and shows. A lot of creative stuff starts and happens in NYC. If you don't care about this, it doesn't mean that NYC sucks, it just means that it is not for you or your interests.

You are also missing out on some of the best restaurants in the world, with a very wide variety and flavors.

As important, you are missing out meting people at galleries, libraries, lectures who are also world connoisseurs. Associating, running, talking to other people at such event is as inspiring. You don't have to talk to everybody, just one person as a minimum, and you'll learn so much. If you could care less about this type of learning, NYC is not for you.

If you are happy with the theater show that local high school puts on every year, nothing is wrong with it. But don't hate NYC because it is congested, and you don't care or appreciate a much better performance.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:01 AM

504 posts, read 384,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
“I saw a guy wearing a Boston hat, and it was so cute,” Los Angeles resident Eva Anderson told reporters. “All that hometown pride for a place so small and inconsequential? It melts my heart.”
WOW!!!! Didn't realize many people around country thought of Boston this way. I like Boston, but I'm not fan either as I find the people can be very rude at times. Hell a few people in the MA/Boston forum have that condescending tone at times.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:40 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Very good question. Now this is gonna get interesting.

For those who are tired of NYC during workweek, and don't wanna go back there on the weekends -- this doesn't apply.

For others, it shows that you have a "provincial" mindset. In other words, for a little inconvenience of travel and congestion, you are willing to let go opportunities to visit the best museums in the country, perhaps the world, best performances in music, theater, dance. You are also missing out on the wide selection of venues and shows. A lot of creative stuff starts and happens in NYC. If you don't care about this, it doesn't mean that NYC sucks, it just means that it is not for you or your interests.

You are also missing out on some of the best restaurants in the world, with a very wide variety and flavors.

As important, you are missing out meting people at galleries, libraries, lectures who are also world connoisseurs. Associating, running, talking to other people at such event is as inspiring. You don't have to talk to everybody, just one person as a minimum, and you'll learn so much. If you could care less about this type of learning, NYC is not for you.

If you are happy with the theater show that local high school puts on every year, nothing is wrong with it. But don't hate NYC because it is congested, and you don't care or appreciate a much better performance.
No, it could mean you have been to New York and its attractions many times and have seen them all enough. It could also mean that you do not feel it is important enough to go through the hassles that New York has and that you are independent and educated enough to think that being in the middle of the latest is not important to you.

Let me remind you that many of the great plays on Broadway started in Connecticut. Plus with great venues like The Shubert, The Bushnell, Theaterworks, Hartford Stage, the Goodspeed Opera House, etc., there is no need to go into the city for great theater. It is all right here and at a lot more affordable prices than you find in Manhattan.

Finally, there are plenty of great restaurants, entertainment and cultural options here so there is not necessarily a need to go to New York regularly for many. I would say you should go and see everything New York has to offer at least once (which I have) but then it is up to you if it is worth the cost, time and hassle to keep going back. Jay.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:00 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No, it could mean you have been to New York and its attractions many times and have seen them all enough. It could also mean that you do not feel it is important enough to go through the hassles that New York has and that you are independent and educated enough to think that being in the middle of the latest is not important to you.

Let me remind you that many of the great plays on Broadway started in Connecticut. Plus with great venues like The Shubert, The Bushnell, Theaterworks, Hartford Stage, the Goodspeed Opera House, etc., there is no need to go into the city for great theater. It is all right here and at a lot more affordable prices than you find in Manhattan.

Finally, there are plenty of great restaurants, entertainment and cultural options here so there is not necessarily a need to go to New York regularly for many. I would say you should go and see everything New York has to offer at least once (which I have) but then it is up to you if it is worth the cost, time and hassle to keep going back. Jay.
Lol - wait - so not wanting to be in the "middle of the latest" means you're educated? What a strange comment.

Sorry but it's laughable to compare what CT offers to what NYC offers. I've seen and done nearly everything there is to do in CT. In NYC, I'm always delighted to experience something new. It's progressive and always changing.

Again - the above mindset is precisely why CT isn't attractive to young people.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:04 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No, it could mean you have been to New York and its attractions many times and have seen them all enough.
You mean like the CT Science center, Mystic and the Aquariums, the Yale/British galleries (the Exit signs were especially beautiful) and so on. All one and dones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut