Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 09:15 AM

4,394 posts, read 3,281,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Good point, those other places i mentioned are a mess with mill rates
Trumbull/Monroe/Newtown have higher mill rates/taxes for a reason. What you call "a mess" the residents call it an investment in the school system.

Trumbull #8
Monroe #16
Newtown #38
Shelton #44
Milford #67

2017 rank according to schooldigger.com
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CT/districtrank.aspx

Good schools cost money which in turn makes the taxes higher. And I tell you what, the parents in my town want the taxes higher for even better schools. Tomorrow night I am going to the First Selectman debate in my town. I guarantee the Democrat will say we need to put more money into the schools in Trumbull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 09:31 AM

21,558 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Trumbull/Monroe/Newtown have higher mill rates/taxes for a reason. What you call "a mess" the residents call it an investment in the school system.

Trumbull #8
Monroe #16
Newtown #38
Shelton #44
Milford #67

Good schools cost money which in turn makes the taxes higher. And I tell you what, the parents in my town want the taxes higher for even better schools. Tomorrow night I am going to the First Selectman debate in my town. I guarantee the Democrat will say we need to put more money into the schools in Trumbull.
Why are School Digger's rankings so different from other lists? For instance, Westport and Trumbull being neck and neck.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:10 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,072,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
No I mean coastal, very southern FFC and Westchester.

The appeal for me is it's super quiet, but some things going on and convenience. If anything I wish it was a little more vibrant in places like the downtown. Downtown is pretty quiet, except for one tiny corner on summer weekends. Westport and Fairfield downtowns have much more activity, for instance.

You have to realize people are coming from out of state to research on this forum. Again it is all relative.
Yeah.... and if they're coming from your average US suburb, Milford will be very fast paced in comparison...

Old 10-16-2017, 11:30 AM

21,553 posts, read 30,976,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Yeah.... and if they're coming from your average US suburb, Milford will be very fast paced in comparison...
Very much agree with this.

A small city with a 55k population, two major highways, a commuter railroad, a strip with every chain imaginable and bustling downtown is not my idea of laid back. YMMV.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:53 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,072,887 times
Quote:

Trumbull #8
Monroe #16
Newtown #38
Shelton #44
Milford #67

It's actually not that simple..... that's not how economics works...

And if it were true then why do towns like Madison, Guilford, Farmington (on and on...) have as good or better performing schools than the tax heavy towns like Trumbull???

Old 10-16-2017, 12:11 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,155,749 times
Quote:
the parents in my town want the taxes higher
better be careful what they wish for, towns/state will be more than willing to oblige.
A complete and utter mess way out up there

Old 10-16-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
And outside the holidays, even that section of 1 is totally manageable.
Total nightmare, takes 20 mins to make a left turn into anything. Forget about trying to take a left out of some of parking lots with no traffic lights.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Total nightmare, takes 20 mins to make a left turn into anything. Forget about trying to take a left out of some of parking lots with no traffic lights.
During the holidays

Old 10-16-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
It's actually not that simple..... that's not how economics works...

And if it were true then why do towns like Madison, Guilford, Farmington (on and on...) have as good or better performing schools than the tax heavy towns like Trumbull???
Demographics are more important than school budgets

Old 10-16-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
During the holidays
also experienced it non-hoildays. Trust me I wouldn't go anywhere near there during the holidays.
Now I'm not saying what the others are saying, my god, you would think it's Mumbai,India or something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut