Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 12:40 PM

4 posts, read 11,272 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving to CT (from MA/NH) to start a job in Salem this summer. My husband currently works on the north shore of boston and will be staying there for a while unfortunately. So, we are looking to rent first, and then buy a house when he is more settled with a new job or internal transfer to a field office in CT (probably Hartford, New haven, or springfield MA).

we are looking for a nice town that is/has:
-easy commute for both of us (easily accesible to highways)
-affordable ($300k homes)
-semi-rural (able to have a horse property), but with a nice walkable downtown, coffee shops, good restaurants, and close to major shopping centers,
-good culture/activities/recreation (lakes or state parks/trails/beaches locally)

does this place exist? I really like Glastonbury though its seems a little pricey....what are Marlborough and East Haddam like? have to go look around some more....

also, does anyone know any good places to find rental properties?

thanks for reading, sorry so long. any help is greatly appreciated!

Leah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 01:16 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,978,279 times
Salem, located in south eastern CT is about 40 minutes to Glastonbury, and about 25 minutes to New London on the CT coast. Glastonbury is close to Hartford, and can be expensive in some neighborhoods, less so in others. You might also consider Colchester, a nice little town with much to offer, which will be a far closer commute from Salem then Glastonbury, and have housing prices less then Glastonbury.

Marlborough is a fine little town- a wee sedate and rural, but still an easy commute to where all your needs will be found. Also consider Hebron. East Haddam is a decent choice as well.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:35 PM

34,737 posts, read 56,545,451 times
I agree with Skytrekker (again), Colchester is closest to your descritpion. There is a nice small downtown area and the town is somewhat rural with horse properties. Home prices are reasonable and it is accessible to highways (Route 2 and I-395). The only thing is it does not have a lot of shopping options. For shopping you would have to travel to Waterford or up to Manchester. Another area to consider may be Hebron. Hope this helps, Jay

Old 03-23-2008, 08:16 AM

4 posts, read 9,194 times
Hi Leah
I am selling, possibily renting? a very nice 3 bedroom , 2 story colonial in East Windsor, 1800 square feet, built in 1952 which I love. It sits on an acre of land with fruit trees, I am the second owner, it is in move in condition. Take care, Tina

Old 03-23-2008, 10:26 AM

83 posts, read 265,660 times
Default Temp. rents around Hamden, Cheshire, Sleeping Giant Park area?

I am starting a new job on 3-24-08 in the construction/excavation field based in Hamden, Ct. Commuting from Southern Vt. is a bit extreme, so I am looking for a decent 1-2 bedroom apt., clean mobile home, or something reasonable to stay in until I am comfortable with the entire situation.

If anyone has any suggestions and/or this type of place, please DM me with the details, or reply here and I'll DM you.

Thank you.

LowboyTZ

Old 03-24-2008, 09:44 AM

34,737 posts, read 56,545,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowboyTZ View Post
I am starting a new job on 3-24-08 in the construction/excavation field based in Hamden, Ct. Commuting from Southern Vt. is a bit extreme, so I am looking for a decent 1-2 bedroom apt., clean mobile home, or something reasonable to stay in until I am comfortable with the entire situation.

If anyone has any suggestions and/or this type of place, please DM me with the details, or reply here and I'll DM you.

Thank you.

LowboyTZ
Check craigslist.com for listings or the New Haven Register. Jay

Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 AM

539 posts, read 2,097,175 times
I used to live in East Haddam. It is a beautiful town along the CT River but you really have to travel to get to anything. I would do my grocery shopping in Colchester which took 15 to 20 minutes. Of course it depends where in East Haddam you live. You will find there are no direct routes in and out of East Haddam. I often took short cuts on dirt roads to make my trips shorter. If you need to access Route 9 then you have to make use of the swinging bridge over the CT River. There were times in the summer when I had to sit there for up to 20 minutes, waiting for a passing boat or barge. I think that East Haddam would probably be your best bet for finding a home in the $300,000 range where you could have horses (an older home).

Colchester is in a perfect location for a quick commute to either Hartford or Salem (borders Salem). Route 2 into Hartford during rush hour doesn’t get too congested unless there is an accident. It may slow a little in Glastonbury but you could reasonably make it in 30 minutes. I’m not so sure about finding horse property for under $300,000 in Colchester. That could be a challenge. Colchester has been steadily growing for years now and land is at a high price, what is left of it. Colchester has a few grocery stores, restaurants, boutiques and a lovely town green. As the other poster mentioned Manchester and Waterford are only about 30 minutes away and offer quite a bit.

Salem is a beautiful town but it is a bit pricier than East Haddam or Colchester. It is off the beaten path but you can access Route 2 via Route 11 or Route 85.

I would definitely look at Marlborough. It is located right off of Route 2 and is a quick trip into Hartford. Again, you would probably be doing your shopping in Glastonbury or Manchester. I wouldn’t hold out much hope for finding a horse property in this price range unless it is a much older home. Marlborough has become quite popular due to its great school system, proximity to Hartford and rural appeal. I would say the same goes for Hebron (which is about 10 minutes farther from Route 2).

Of course if your husband gets a job in New Haven or Springfield, MA, I wouldn’t consider any of these towns as an option for a quick commute.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut