Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:50 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevdie View Post
Thanks for the responses. I see how things are now. It will be an interesting visit. As silly as it sounds, I am wondering how I should dress when I visit at the end of this month. When I moved to the midwest from NYC, I was often told that I was over dressed and always asked why I was "dressed up" or what the special occasion was...now I am not sure how I am supposed to look when I get to CT. Good grief. Don't want to be over dressed, but don't want to look like a bum either.
I wouldn't even worry about it. Wear what makes you comfortable. It isn't even going to be on most people's radar. Casual is best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 05:53 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisamel View Post
yes, downtown fairfield is very nice.
I have been to Wilton. I actually knew people who lived there. they acted like they were the king and queen. Too snooty for me.
It's nice though.
I am not even going to look at New Canaan $$$$
I could spend a million or more, but I don't want to. I think I should be able to find something reasonable in the 6's or 7's if I look hard enough.
I want to have money in my pocket for fun stuff.
New Canaan is super pricey, for sure. I'd recommend you take a look at Ridgefield--although the major drawback is the lack of a metro north train. It's homes are gracious, huge, and invoke another era and time. The village center is quaint, charming, and boutique-filled. It is essentially a more rural, less expensive New Canaan. It is a bit further north though--so that may be a drawback too.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:52 AM

34,934 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Since you are looking for a home in the $600-$700k range, I would recommend Fairfield. It is more affordable than most of the other lower Fairfield County towns, yet is still very desirable. Since you are just going to be checking the area out, I would dress casual and comfortable. Walking around during the day, you will see people dressed differently: some in business suits and some casual. Please note that it could still be cold, so be sure to bring some warm clothes. Dress in layers so you can remove what is not needed. Good luck, Jay

Old 03-18-2008, 07:19 AM

409 posts, read 1,748,615 times
Thanks to both of you. Lisamel, sorry to intrude on your thread, but the info given here was so useful to me. I hope you are having a great time.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:34 PM

23 posts, read 134,389 times
No trouble at all Sevide. We are looking for the same info, so welcome!
I appreciate the feedback left by everyone.

I have to look around more but so far I like it.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:14 AM

31 posts, read 144,888 times
Don't knock out Bridgeport Completely. There are parts of the "north end" right in the corner where the city meets with trumbull, fairfield, and easton that are very nice and a fifth of what you'd pay in any of those three towns mentioned. Taxes are high, but you still make out a winner considering. Also, there are areas of black rock with waterfront mansions where you can find nice condos. I don't recommend Bridgeport if you have kids you'd be putting through its school system, but if you are single or if you are willing to send them to Fairfield private schools the north end and blackrock are worth checking out. Unfortunately, Bridgeport has a bad rep from its high crime in 80s that despite its growth, it hasn't been able to overcome.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:52 AM

181 posts, read 905,953 times
I have to comment on the quote that Wilton was too Snooty. I had to laugh. Wilton has definitely has more $$ influx over the last 10 years, but that is because it was relatively affordable compared to New Canaan, Darien, Westport. There are still plenty of modest ranches and split levels, and now that the builders have backed off buying them for tear downs, they may actually be more reasonable priced than 2 years ago. There are plenty of subaru's and basic mini vans mixed in with the lexus, bmw crowd. Jeans and a sweater are probably what you see most of in the grocery store. Just like anywhere you make friends with those that share your values, regardless of their income or vehicle.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:49 PM

184 posts, read 842,674 times
Milford is also New Haven county vs. Fairfield County, where you were recently looking. I live near downtown Fairfield in a very small home!

Milford's really gotten its act together these last few years and has a downtown very similar to Fairfield, only it makes great use of the river views! Nice beaches, too. If you're into town-and-beach, it's a great alternative.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:42 PM

5 posts, read 22,375 times
Hi Lisamel--it sounds like Fairfield is right up your alley. There's a wonderful mix of people, a great downtown, and wonderful beaches. In terms of housing, there's a diverse mix of home prices, from $400,000 up to $10M+. And some great neighborhoods. Feel free to send me a direct email if you'd like. Best of luck.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:00 AM

67 posts, read 227,832 times
For the price you are looking for you will find a very nice home in Fairfield. You may even be able to afford a average sized colonial down near the center of town in walking distance to anything you may need but a full sized grocery store, which is only a short ride to the Stop and Shop on the Post Road.

I might suggest as well, for that money, the Lordship and Putney sections of Stratford. Lordhip would offer you its own tiny community with plenty of nice beaches with none of the "air" that you mentioned you were trying to avoid in Wilton. The houses a very well sized for that price and you may get a view of the Sound but definately only a walk to the beach.

Putney would offer you a more wooded feel with large homes on big lots with a very New England feel. You would do "Very, Very" well in Putney for that price and I have found the people in those areas to be extreemly friendly.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut