Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:03 PM

51 posts, read 207,514 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am spending the day in Westport and fairfield looking around. Very nice but quite busy. I also can't believe how well dressed everyone is.

Perhaps I need to drive around some of the residential streets to get a good feel for the place.
Can anyone point me in another area to look?
I want something with a nice downtown, but a bit more quiet.
I spent some time on route 1 from westport commons and into fairfield. I've been to Ridgefield before. It seemed nice but probably too far of a commute?

I made the mistake of driving through Bridgeport. WOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 03:49 PM

67 posts, read 227,692 times
Not knowing your parameters for your search you may want to try driving Main Street in Stratford. They have two "downtown" areas. One begining from Main and West Broad ending near Main and Barnum. The Second area is Paradise Green which is at the intersection of Main and Huntington Rd. Both very nice but I like Paridice green a little better. The train is more near the Main and West Broad area.

As for Fairfield there are 4 basic Downtown areas in my opinion, Post Road which I take it you went through, Black Rock Turnpike which is just as busy and less quant. Stratfield section at Stratfield Rd at the intersection of Fairfield Woods Rd is a very small area with some shops. Then there is the Southport section of Fairfield which is off the beaten path, very quant, quiet, near the water and expensive.

Milford has a nice downtown area near the Green that you may want to drive through.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:52 PM

10,048 posts, read 14,414,649 times
Did you go to downtown Fairfield? Very charming and 1940s feeling with such modern shops as Victoria's Secret and Borders. Great downtown! As for Westport, it boast more chic, and "boutique" style shops, with a nice waterfront for parts of its downtown. Did you look at New Canaan? Wealth and boutiques galore downtown with a much smaller feeling--it may be what you're after.

You drove through Bridgeport? Quite the shocker isn't it? Especially considering CT's reputation for such wealth and the surrounding very wealthy cities and towns. Bridgeport is like the stepchild with little love in CT. It's got a long way to go!

Old 03-17-2008, 03:59 PM

127 posts, read 520,824 times
Also not knowing limits for price - You could try New Canaan or Wilton. They have a sort of suburban/country charm. Both have great town centers - New Canaan has a nice village area. Wilton center is not as "village" like but still very nice and convenient. Plus, they both have MNRR stations - New Canaan being the shorter ride.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:12 PM

409 posts, read 1,747,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
You drove through Bridgeport? Quite the shocker isn't it? Especially considering CT's reputation for such wealth and the surrounding very wealthy cities and towns. Bridgeport is like the stepchild with little love in CT. It's got a long way to go!

How do Milford and Stratford compare? I ask because it is close by yet cheaper than the towns of fairfield and Stamford. Are these towns less "desireable"? Is that why it's more affordable? Is there a reason why it is so close by yet more affordable? How is the crime? If anyone can give me a first hand account I would appreciate it as the data online s a little outdated.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:24 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,016,311 times
Stratford is a more blue collar working class- having many in town work for the Sikorsky Corporation since the 1920's and on. Over the years Sikorsky sprawled across parts of the town, which gave Stratford a more industrial manufacturing persona.

Milford is more 'professional' then blue collar, and is has softer more sophisticated view.
Fairfield is a 'step up from' Milford. Stamford is a corporate center.

Crime is low in all these towns, with perhaps Stratford having a wee more then the others.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:42 PM

177 posts, read 257,455 times
Stratford is a nice little town,not much crime and an older neighborhood.Lots of Seniors.Yet I think with a few more years Bridgeport will move in/Yuck!
I think Wilton is really nice,if you can afford it,just take a look at the cars in town,really super cars.
Shelton is really coming into itself and taxes are low because they have a volunteer fire station.
Ct has just been named the 3rd richest state.
Maryland is # 1

Old 03-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the responses. I see how things are now. It will be an interesting visit. As silly as it sounds, I am wondering how I should dress when I visit at the end of this month. When I moved to the midwest from NYC, I was often told that I was over dressed and always asked why I was "dressed up" or what the special occasion was...now I am not sure how I am supposed to look when I get to CT. Good grief. Don't want to be over dressed, but don't want to look like a bum either.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:22 AM

51 posts, read 207,514 times
yes, downtown fairfield is very nice.
I have been to Wilton. I actually knew people who lived there. they acted like they were the king and queen. Too snooty for me.
It's nice though.
I am not even going to look at New Canaan $$$$
I could spend a million or more, but I don't want to. I think I should be able to find something reasonable in the 6's or 7's if I look hard enough.
I want to have money in my pocket for fun stuff.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:48 AM

Well, I hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut