Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 09:24 AM

11 posts, read 62,356 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to the Hartford area and have narrowed things down to two homes. One is in Tolland and is in a very nice neighborhood with reproductin salt boxes and colonials. The homes are older and this particular home needs some updating including a new bathroom (no demo involved). The other is a 1 year old home in Coventry that has acreage and nice upgrades. The only downside is master bathroom. It only has ONE sink and a small vanity. Because of the tray ceiling in the bedroom, I'm not sure I could expand the bathroom. Doing so would make the ceiling off center. The spare bathroom has a beautiful counter and double sink. I can't figure out what the builder was thinking. However, it does have a fantastic kitchen and many other features that are upgrades. Both homes are about the same price.

My question is, what are your opinions about potential resale value of each home if I do nothing with the bathroom in the Coventry home but remodel the bathroom the Tolland home?

Also, if a property is bordered by wetlands, what are the implications?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 10:38 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
It's hard to say about the bathroom design. In most cases a superior floor plan & amenities will allow a higher resale value. A double sink in a master will always bring more money.

However, Property in eastern CT is based more on local schools, shopping amenities, crime rate (which is very low in Tolland County), and geographic aesthetics such as nearby woodlands, hills, view corridors, historical sites etc. Housing values probably rely less on housing interior design and more on other values, compared to other areas of the state and nation. Both Coventry and Tolland are very desirable areas. In the future the value of homes are more then likely to increase in value.

Being near a wetlands area is something local officials can give objective information about.

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-19-2008 at 02:41 PM..

Old 03-19-2008, 11:17 AM

311 posts, read 1,824,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Being near a wetlands area is something local officials can give objective information about.
Agree with skytrekker to check locally as regulations vary from town to town. My property borders wetlands. Implications are both good and bad depending on your perspective. Obviously no one can build there, we can't ever have an inground pool if we wanted one (don't want one, but might be an issue for some). Our property tends to be pretty wet in the spring - sometimes to the point of standing water, but in the summer months i rarely have to water the back half of my lawn so it works out for me :-)

Old 03-19-2008, 12:40 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani110 View Post
I can't figure out what the builder was thinking.
Sometimes they don't realize what they are building is not what most people expect these days. It is surprising that a newer home in what I assume is an upscale area would not have two sinks in the master. It is what is expected these days. If you are questioning this, then others will too when you go to sell. If the only problem with the Tolland home is the bath needs cosmetics, then consider choosing it. The Coventry sounds like it would require a major redo with structural work and that is expensive. Replacing fixtures and tile is not nearly a s pricey. Good luck, Jay

Old 03-20-2008, 04:22 AM

52 posts, read 176,426 times
Default tolland versus coventry

Dear Nani,
Personally, as a realtor, I would choose Tolland, I think that this community has a better resale. As far as wetlands, each town has their own restrictions. Contact the conservator in each town. Also, be sure to do a radon test in Tolland, alot of the homes are built on ledge and may need a mitigation system if it does not already have one.
Sincerely,
Julia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut