Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 02:06 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
I think 84 still doesn't remotely approach LA or Bay Area traffic.
Yeh, but who cares? Most of us never go to LA or the Bay area. We are here and we are supposed to deal with highways like 84. We didn't chose to live in CA.

Now that I'm back in CT I should probably return to MA via rte 91 but I take either rte 44 or rtes 5/10 to avoid that nightmare. And if I want to get to the Mass Pike to drive to the eastern part of MA, I go the same way--although 84 is the obvious way. Driving down to CT to see my future apartment, I made the mistake of taking rte 84 ONCE. It took forever and I was almost late for the appointment, plus it was a very unpleasant experience in its own right. I'll take the back roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 02:36 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
I think 84 still doesn't remotely approach LA or Bay Area traffic.
The problem I often see is people don’t make an apples to apples comparison.

This can be viewed in a few different ways. 84 in the Hartford area is just as bad as the 101 in LA. LA is just larger, so has about 20 different I-84 nightmares. Hartford doesn’t have the number of highways as LA County so it’s just going to be on a smaller scale.

If you look at the percentage of people in the Hartford metro who’s quality of life is affected vs the percentage of people in the LA metro who’s quality of life is affected, that’s a more accurate comparison.

Point is, traffic in Hartford is bad for a city its size, and likely affects the same percentage of population as larger car centric cities like LA.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:48 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

This can be viewed in a few different ways. 84 in the Hartford area is just as bad as the 101 in LA. LA is just larger, so has about 20 different I-84 nightmares. Hartford doesn’t have the number of highways as LA County so it’s just going to be on a smaller scale.

If you look at the percentage of people in the Hartford metro who’s quality of life is affected vs the percentage of people in the LA metro who’s quality of life is affected, that’s a more accurate comparison.

Point is, traffic in Hartford is bad for a city its size, and likely affects the same percentage of population as larger car centric cities like LA.
Not sure I agree...have you ever driven in L.A. traffic? I get your point on the size thing but I don't think Hartford and L.A. should be compared relative to size or not.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:48 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
Quote:

This might be the truest thing I have read to date on this forum..... a very well laid out response and on point.. +1

Old 12-16-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Not sure I agree...have you ever driven in L.A. traffic? I get your point on the size thing but I don't think Hartford and L.A. should be compared relative to size or not.
Not only have I driven in LA traffic, I lived in the western LA suburbs and drove the 101 every single day.

There is no doubt in my mind the percentage of people who’s quality of life is affected in LA is very similar to Hartford. We’re talking percentage of population, remember, not number.

There’s another poster, Stephy, who just moved from CT to LA and agrees with me.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:53 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Not only have I driven in LA traffic, I lived in the western LA suburbs and drove the 101 every single day.

There is no doubt in my mind the percentage of people who’s quality of life is affected in LA is very similar to Hartford. We’re talking percentage of population, remember, not number.
No I get that..I just think its a little worse in L.A. from the friends i have there who tell me. I mean 10 miles in an hour and a half on a typical day? Yea Hartford slows you down, but not like that.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
No I get that..I just think its a little worse in L.A. from the friends i have there who tell me. I mean 10 miles an hour and a half on a typical day? Yea Hartford slows you down, but not like that.
1) it doesn’t take 90 minutes to go 10 miles on the worst LA freeways, so that’s insanely exaggerated by your friends. 45-50 minutes, absolutely.

2) Hartford does a lot more than “slow you down”. 84 between Farmington and Hartford during rush hour is terrible, and it’s not out of the question for it to regularly take 45-50 minutes to go 10 miles.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:25 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,143,716 times
Quote:
1) it doesn’t take 90 minutes to go 10 miles on the worst LA freeways, so that’s insanely exaggerated by your friends. 45-50 minutes, absolutely.

2) Hartford does a lot more than “slow you down”. 84 between Farmington and Hartford during rush hour is terrible, and it’s not out of the question for it to regularly take 45-50 minutes to go 10 miles.
Okay, but you picked Farmington--a town notoriously bad for traffic. People commuting to and from Hartford to, say, Glastonbury or Vernon don't have it nearly as bad.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Okay, but you picked Farmington--a town notoriously bad for traffic. People commuting to and from Hartford to, say, Glastonbury or Vernon don't have it nearly as bad.
Wasn’t the origin of this specific discussion about 84, and not Route 2 (which, actually, also has quite a bit of nasty jams, too - just not as bad as 84!).

Old 12-16-2017, 05:48 PM

143 posts, read 106,619 times
Orlando in my experience was horrible compare to living here now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut