Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 10:20 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandD View Post
Hmmm. That's interesting given the HYOOGE thread on the VT forum about the rapid increase in gang activity (think bloods n crips type gangs... yikes!) in VT. In fact, that thread was one reason I had second thought about VT as an option for us until I do a lot more research.
Back up your claims with empirical data and information. Take a look at the demographics- do they portend a huge rise in gangs in Vermont? Here in eastern CT gangs are non existent- are they suddenly moving into mostly rural Vermont? Hardly-lets move on without geographic jealousy.

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-21-2008 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 10:46 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
Skytrekker,

I don't understand why you deleted my post. It is a fact that one of the reasons there are much higher crime rates in southern border states is due to large numbers of illegal immigrants committing those crimes. It is also true that more violent crimes occur in warmer weather, especially when temperatures escalate into the 90s.

It may be politically correct to not discuss the issue but it does not make it go away.

I was encouraged by Barack Obama's speech earlier this week and feel that we need to talk about what needs to take place to unite our citizens and strengthen American society.

Having illegal immigrants unidentified in our country is not good for anyone except unethical businesses and those involved in criminal activity.

Immigration policy protects the health, safety and welfare of both the immigrant and our American citizens.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Skytrekker,

I don't understand why you deleted my post. It is a fact that one of the reasons there are much higher crime rates in southern border states is due to large numbers of illegal immigrants committing those crimes. It is also true that more violent crimes occur in warmer weather, especially when temperatures escalate into the 90s.

It may be politically correct to not discuss the issue but it does not make it go away.

I was encouraged by Barack Obama's speech earlier this week and feel that we need to talk about what needs to take place to unite our citizens and strengthen American society.

Having illegal immigrants unidentified in our country is not good for anyone except unethical businesses and those involved in criminal activity.

Immigration policy protects the health, safety and welfare of both the immigrant and our American citizens.
I understand your viewpoint- but I went to the moderators forum- and they advised me to ask for specific data to back up your claims.

The post you made was honest enough-however it may offend some people, and it easily could.
We need to back it up our opinions with data that can prove our assertions.

In Sociology, we use the scientific method -garbage in-garbage out-----and we need to have empirical data to prove what we say- without this any information is worthless.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-21-2008 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-21-2008, 11:02 AM

311 posts, read 1,824,267 times
When someone comes onto these forums and states that something is a "fact", but typically can offer no solid statistic or reference, I like most people, tend to be wary of accepting whats written just because its here. Usually these "facts" are made up of a few random bits and pieces of info someone reads or hears.....similar to another thread recently on how suburbanites are to blame for the inner city crime. Riddled with blame and errors. You make a very harsh stamement about illegals with nothing to back it up. If you want to share an article or something, do so. Usually for every article i can find one that says the opposite. See below, specific to california, but refutes what you say...

Report: Immigration not raising crime rates as widely believed - Inside Bay Area

Old 03-21-2008, 12:54 PM

Here is one source which derives data from the Government Accounting Office. There is also a considerable amount of data on this issue in Laura Ingraham's Power to the People.

Illegal aliens linked to rise in crime statistics

Here is one source for the +90 degree statement. This has been regularily reported in mulitiple forms as factual especially in news reports during July and August here in the New England:

Foundations of Criminal Science - Google Book Search

Old 03-21-2008, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the information

however Tennessee which has a low amount of immigration from Latin America, and is far from the southwest also has a high crime rate, as does Alaska. It seems that to extrapolate that illegal immigration is the cause of all crime is untrue.

Other states with high crime rates; Oregon, Arkansas, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Colorado, Washington State, Maryland- all seem for the most part except for Colorado geographically far from 'the border'.

As a social scientist- I try and gather all information- and then hopefully try and make an appropriate hypothesis. With so many states far from the southwest having an elevated crime rate- its hard still for me to except the fact that crime nationally is a problem manifested by immigration.

The geographic proximity of those states in the southwest to Mexico and Central America may exhibit some correlation to illegal immigration and a higher crime rate- but why is the crime rate as high in Tennessee and Mississippi?

Crime where ever it exists, is a problem that has varying sociological parameters- and no easy concrete answer can be given.

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-21-2008 at 01:40 PM..

Old 03-21-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Thanks for the information

however Tennessee which has a low amount of immigration from Latin America, and is far from the southwest also has a high crime rate, as does Alaska. It seems that to extrapolate that illegal immigration is the cause of all crime is untrue.

Other states with high crime rates; Oregon, Arkansas, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Colorado, Washington State, Maryland- all seem for the most part except for Colorado geographically far from 'the border'.

As a social scientist- I try and gather all information- and then hopefully try and make an appropriate hypothesis. With so many states far from the southwest having an elevated crime rate- its hard still for me to except the fact that crime nationally is a problem manifested by immigration.
You have a point. Illegal immigration is not the only reason for higher crime. Although it is a large factor in the border states. The other states have other issues as well such as high concentrations of poverty, extreme isolation (Alaska), and problems associated with weak borders, particularly southern, drugs.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:56 PM

368 posts, read 1,388,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Back up your claims with empirical data and information. Take a look at the demographics- do they portend a huge rise in gangs in Vermont? Here in eastern CT gangs are non existent- are they suddenly moving into mostly rural Vermont? Hardly-lets move on without geographic jealousy.
Geographic jealousy??? I live in frickin AUSTIN. I am planning to relocate to the NE and have been looking at fellowship opportunities in the various states, quality of life indicators, schools, etc. My post was pointing out that the survey ranked VT #4 is safety, yet this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/vermo...s-vermont.html voices the PERCEPTIONS of VERMONTERS. (Consider that link 'BACKING UP' the only claim I made... that there was a large thread discussing a rapid rise in gang activity). And quite honestly, when researching, if the ONLY two data points I have are AOL's survey and the words of PEOPLE LIVING IN THE AREA, I will personally give more credence to the real life experiences.

Fortunately, however, in this connected age, I don't have to rely on only two data points. Hence the last sentence that indicated I needed to do more research, since to date I have concentrated on CT.

Chill, seriously.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:58 PM

6 posts, read 20,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
AOL and Money magazine have ranked the 50 states in regards to crime. Connecticut comes in at #11 for safest states:

[URL="http://money.aol.com/mortgage/safest-states-to-live-in"]Safest States to Live In - AOL Money & Finance[/URL]

You'll have to advance through the first 14 to reach Connecticut. Many of our neighbors (New Hampshire - #1, Maine - #2, Vermont - #4, Rhode Island - #12) did very well, too.
i live in bridgeport grew up in father panic village the most dangerous housing projects on the east coast and like the 3rd most dangerous highrise housing projects in america well over 20 cops been murdered in there when cops came kids were on the roofs the look out kids and as soon as a cop came in they threw cocktail bombs at there cars bricks everything there were more than 35 thousand people living in father panic it got so dangerous cops would not go in there cause they faired for there lives father panic is a very famous project infact theres a broad way show about it called ''the real father panic'' it just got so dangerous after like the 30th cop got mudered in there they decided they had no choice but the tear all the high risers down and the other housing projects like P.T. PROJECTS the GREENS projects the marino projects judt to name a few are so dangerous and the streets are just as crazy expecially the lower east end of bridgeport like stratford ave... fairfield ave 5th ave aka da bloody fifth hartford is the most dangerous city in connecticut very dangerous and new haven well forget about go there good luck i hope your strapped and got street smarts......

Old 03-22-2008, 03:23 AM

893 posts, read 791,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonniebing View Post
i live in bridgeport grew up in father panic village the most dangerous housing projects on the east coast and like the 3rd most dangerous highrise housing projects in america well over 20 cops been murdered in there when cops came kids were on the roofs the look out kids and as soon as a cop came in they threw cocktail bombs at there cars bricks everything there were more than 35 thousand people living in father panic it got so dangerous cops would not go in there cause they faired for there lives father panic is a very famous project infact theres a broad way show about it called ''the real father panic'' it just got so dangerous after like the 30th cop got mudered in there they decided they had no choice but the tear all the high risers down and the other housing projects like P.T. PROJECTS the GREENS projects the marino projects judt to name a few are so dangerous and the streets are just as crazy expecially the lower east end of bridgeport like stratford ave... fairfield ave 5th ave aka da bloody fifth hartford is the most dangerous city in connecticut very dangerous and new haven well forget about go there good luck i hope your strapped and got street smarts......
Well welcome Jonniebing. I see you are going to add something the CT board has been missing. I, for one, want to know more about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut