Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 08:52 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Haha. I've heard something similar, that Shelton is part of the Valley, but Huntington is not.
Shelton, Monroe, Easton, New Milford, Sherman unforgettable part of Fairfield County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 09:26 AM

830 posts, read 1,093,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Cos Cob, Riverside and Old Greenwich is the "middle class" of Greenwich. It was middle class* when my relatives lived there and I assume it still is. The wealthy people in Greenwich live in Belle Haven near the water and the "back county" in northern Greenwich.
*middle class in Greenwich terms
Riverside and OG are easily the most expensive parts of Greenwich these days on a per sq foot basis.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:05 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Shelton, Monroe, Easton, New Milford, Sherman unforgettable part of Fairfield County
New Milford is in Litchfield County, not Fairfield County. Jay

Old 12-27-2017, 01:32 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,601 times
When speaking to someone from outside the area, most would just say "Greenwich" - unlike most normal suburbs, Greenwich, CT is pretty well-known and famous. However, sometimes people hear "Greenwich" and assume you're rich and live in a mansion. That is not true for most residents. Greenwich is geographically very big, and each section is different. Cos Cob, Riverside and Old Greenwich all have their own zip codes and train stations. When speaking to someone from CT (or at least Fairfield County) it is not unusual to make the distinction as the person you're speaking to may likely be familiar with the make-up of Greenwich.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:19 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
Riverside and OG are easily the most expensive parts of Greenwich these days on a per sq foot basis.

Old Greenwich average house price: $2,847,281
https://www.trulia.com/CT/Old_Greenwich (that info is very far down)

Belle Haven average house price: $4.1 million
"While the average sale price of a single-family home "in the Belle Haven area" figures out to roughly $4.1 million"
The cost of buying behind Belle Haven's gates - GreenwichTime

I have to say that the prices of the houses in Old Greenwich, Riverside and Cos Cob now are pretty amazing. I am old enough to remember a time when there were actually middle class people in Old Greenwich, Riverside and Cos Cob.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:24 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Yes but you can’t find many homes under 2m in Belle Haven or most backcountry neighborhoods. In OG, you can.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Old Greenwich average house price: $2,847,281
https://www.trulia.com/CT/Old_Greenwich (that info is very far down)

Belle Haven average house price: $4.1 million
"While the average sale price of a single-family home "in the Belle Haven area" figures out to roughly $4.1 million"
The cost of buying behind Belle Haven's gates - GreenwichTime

I have to say that the prices of the houses in Old Greenwich, Riverside and Cos Cob now are pretty amazing. I am old enough to remember a time when there were actually middle class people in Old Greenwich, Riverside and Cos Cob.
Ok so yes technically you're right, but Belle Haven is a just a micro neighborhood (a collection of streets on a peninsula, some gated), that you can't really compare to an entire town like OG or Riverside. I will say you almost never hear people say specifically they're from Belle Haven the way you used to hear someone say they were from "backcountry," or now how everyone who lives in Riverside will correct you if you say they live in Greenwich.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yes but you can’t find many homes under 2m in Belle Haven or most backcountry neighborhoods. In OG, you can.
Belle Haven, no, because there's little variety, but in backcountry/midcountry now a days you can actually probably find more under 2 than in OG (an acre is now worth south of $1M in backcountry and more than $1M in OG or Riverside).

Old 12-28-2017, 10:41 AM

519 posts, read 582,706 times
Quote:
I will say you almost never hear people say specifically they're from Belle Haven the way you used to hear someone say they were from "backcountry," or now how everyone who lives in Riverside will correct you if you say they live in Greenwich.
Too funny. I would hazard to say nearly everyone will never hear someone say they live in Belle Haven unless you move in a small, very elite circle of people.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:17 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You must remember that communities like Rowayton, Cos Cob and Southport have their own long histories so they also have strong identities. I do think some of it has to do with status as well. Jay
This is why I mentioned Zip codes. Cos Cob for one has had its own post office since at least the 1800s.
There are several other communities in Greenwich with their own post offices.

However, it is possible for a community to petition the USPS to breakaway from its existing post office and to create its own post office with its own zip code. So today if a community tries to get its own post office, it may be for some status reason as people are suggesting. But not always, it may just be that a local community wants some official recognition of its existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut