Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 05:22 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
This happened to two people I know and others I've heard of, when thoughts of prosecuting were being thrown around. My family gathered testimonies of others, which is how this all came out. I sure was surprised because who wants to believe race is still a thing in this area? Just providing some examples for the OP to think about. These examples were around 5-6 years ago, so maybe things have changed, but at this point I wouldn't risk being humiliated like that. But rest assured, this was happening somewhat recently and you shouldn't discount people's experiences because you have the privilege not to live them. It's a tad insulting. Again, this was a few years back, so maybe things have changed now.

The family could more than afford the home, husband was a director in finance and the wife was an executive VP.
Ah, there’s the “p” word I was waiting for. Now I see the motives, here.

Again, move along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 11:36 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
My opinion: Darien and NC are very uppity and although they're OK people-wise, I've known ethnic people who never got a chance to live there because the realtors will openly sabotage their efforts to live there, or they'll be run out before they can move in. I had a family member in a biracial situation who was in talks to purchase a NC home and once they saw the "other" side of the family, who weren't white, the home was magically off the market. I've heard of countless tales of this happening.

Greenwich has always been far more accepting and open. Greenwich schools are also excellent. Talk about snob appeal? Darien and NC are all about that.
Lol, this is total bull****.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:33 AM

723 posts, read 1,004,540 times
Default Had to respond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Come on now. You know what they mean. It is highly unlikely that real estate agents are doing what you claim. Besides being illegal, no agent is going to risk their license and commission to steer minorities away from a town. For this to be going on, it would have to be done by literally hundreds of agents that serve these towns. I would suspect your family member had a limited budget and wanted more than they could afford so the agent showed them homes in more affordable towns. Sorry but in Southwest Connecticut money trumps just about everything. Jay
Jay is partially correct; money is very important. However, the great equalizer in Darien is sports. Bottom-line is that it is exactly because of this sort of 1950s lily white BS that people in Darien will jump through hoops to prevent even the smallest hint of any racism. If you do move there and your kids do have the privilege to attend the incredible Darien public schools you and your kids will be embraced by the ever evolving community there. I know for a fact that some of the most popular kids at DHS are some of the minority and bi-racial kids. The only really snobby people there are the "new" money types whose cars are bigger than their house literally on certain streets. I would rent first in whichever town in select. Get to know the area, then zero in on the exact neighborhood you want because areas within these towns can be vastly different. It is much easier to move out of a rental than a house you bought. If you do rent, good idea is move half your stuff or more into a storage area so when you do buy it's easier to make the final move. There is a website out there that does all the math in real time and factors in tax deductions etc. that compares buying VS. renting. There are many hidden costs in owning that nobody making a living from the process will tell you about. The last time I looked buying only beat renting in Darien after 6-7 years. Nobody in town will care if you are buying or renting. The going rent for any type of decent house is $4,000+. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2018, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,513 times
1. Greenwich is more diversified than New Canaan and Darien. Three towns all have very good private schools and public schools. People living in Darien, New Canaan and westport think their public schools are the best; Greenwich public schools are very good as well.
2. The Greenwich Library is big and updated, in my opinion it is better than other libraries in CT.
3. Greenwich has much more billionaires than other towns even though the other two towns has the highest average household income - this means the bell curve is much more narrow in the two towns than in Greenwich.
4. Greenwich house sold average price in 2017 is $1.8 MM; Darien is $1.6MM; New Canaan is $1.5 MM and West port is $1.4MM

Old 04-23-2018, 09:43 AM

12 posts, read 12,195 times
As a real estate agent in Fairfield County, I can tell you that of the towns mentioned (Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan), your money will go farthest in New Canaan, followed by Darien. All of these towns are wonderful, and will welcome your family with open arms. Greenwich is larger, with a more diverse population (both socio-economically and racially). New Canaan and Darien do tend to be more homogenous, but the faces of these towns are slowly changing as more and more new families move in. These changes are welcome and enrich our communities, and anyone who tells you otherwise is referencing back 30 years. Class sizes vary between schools and grades, and residents are extremely satisfied with the schools. Whatever town you choose, know that the people who live here are not all the same, despite our reputation. I am proud to have a great group of open-minded, creative, caring friends who are active and involved in building a forward-looking community; there are more of us than this forum would have you believe.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:32 PM

723 posts, read 1,004,540 times
But there are WAAY too many from New Jersey moving in the last few years and really messing things up!
Especially the roads with their terrible driving!

Last edited by SailCT; 04-23-2018 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-26-2018, 08:46 PM

15 posts, read 17,161 times
We live in Greenwich, and are a biracial family.
Daycare facilities in Greenwich have 12 to 18 month wait list and are crowded.
We have just recently heard GHS teenager's complaints about difficulties making friends in school, due to "not being church-going white Protestant speaking English as a native language (i.e., doesn't know any other language)".
Also, heard some complaints that the curriculum is pretty weak, compared to NJ.
Not looking to stay here for long.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:10 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njres2013 View Post
We live in Greenwich, and are a biracial family.
Daycare facilities in Greenwich have 12 to 18 month wait list and are crowded.
We have just recently heard GHS teenager's complaints about difficulties making friends in school, due to "not being church-going white Protestant speaking English as a native language (i.e., doesn't know any other language)".
Also, heard some complaints that the curriculum is pretty weak, compared to NJ.
Not looking to stay here for long.
I know many in Greenwich, including people affiliated with Greenwich schools, and have to say, that’s crap.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:50 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I know many in Greenwich, including people affiliated with Greenwich schools, and have to say, that’s crap.
I agree. Greenwich is a pretty big town with a lot of kids in their schools so it should not be surprising that there is at least one kid who has issues making friends. I am sure even the best schools in New Jersey have similar issues.

As for the weak curriculum comment, I do find that almost laughable. The schools in Greenwich have some of the tightest curriculum requirements in the country. If this were true, Greenwich would not have so many people willing to pay a significant premium to live there. I do wonder what town in New Jersey the OP is comparing Greenwich to. I know New Jersey does have some great communities with excellent schools but still to make a blanket statement like that without support does make you wonder what they base this statement on. Judging by the OP's name and past posts I am guessing they are from New Jersey so they may have a bias going into this. Jay

Old 04-27-2018, 10:02 AM

15 posts, read 17,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. Greenwich is a pretty big town with a lot of kids in their schools so it should not be surprising that there is at least one kid who has issues making friends. I am sure even the best schools in New Jersey have similar issues.

As for the weak curriculum comment, I do find that almost laughable. The schools in Greenwich have some of the tightest curriculum requirements in the country. If this were true, Greenwich would not have so many people willing to pay a significant premium to live there. I do wonder what town in New Jersey the OP is comparing Greenwich to. I know New Jersey does have some great communities with excellent schools but still to make a blanket statement like that without support does make you wonder what they base this statement on. Judging by the OP's name and past posts I am guessing they are from New Jersey so they may have a bias going into this. Jay
Hey, don't get me wrong - I like the greenery and the beaches here. The houses are much newer, and cost less than in NJ. Needless to say, MNR beats NJT by a long shot.
I also agree that in general, Greenwich schools are ones of the best in the country.
Re: that kid's circle of HS friends - they are either ppl of color or whites from expat (European) families. I'm pretty much convinced it's some kind of exceptionalism problem.
The particular curriculum statement I made is actually based on a comment from a parent of a Cos Cob Elementary student who made a move here from Livingston. My kids are not yet school age, so we have some time to research.
I just can't help myself thinking it's not the best place for my kids to grow in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut