Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 09:36 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
One thing you have to remember is solely because you live in Darien (which, by the way, has the same percentage of Jews as in Weston), doesn’t mean you can’t cross town lines to involve yourself in organizations a few minutes down the road. The same goes for LGBT individuals. You can live in Darien but be 7 minutes from other LGBT friends in Stamford and Norwalk. Town lines aren’t barriers and most religious and social organizations aren’t restricted to community members only.
The welcomeness of the schools and the community itself were specifically mentioned by the OP. Crossing town lines seems to be precisely what people would like to avoid.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:03 AM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The welcomeness of the schools and the community itself were specifically mentioned by the OP. Crossing town lines seems to be precisely what people would like to avoid.
I'm not sure how it is in Illinois but here SW CT personnel regularly cross town lines for dining, shopping, religion, private schools, whatever floats their boat.
I've never met or been made aware of individuals who won't attend religious services or dine out because they are in another town. YMMV

Old 04-16-2020, 11:10 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Crossing town lines is something that’s part of everyday life in CT as opposed to other places I’ve lived in CA and other states. Most wouldn’t dream of it, largely because towns are larger and more spread out than Norwalk/Darien/Stamford/Westport.

The OP will realize this upon their arrival.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:18 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Crossing town lines is something that’s part of everyday life in CT as opposed to other places I’ve lived in CA and other states. Most wouldn’t dream of it, largely because towns are larger and more spread out than Norwalk/Darien/Stamford/Westport.

The OP will realize this upon their arrival.
Yeah definitely not a thing in CT especially with our towns taking up small areas.

And imagine if Weston and Easton folks never ventured out? Ha.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yeah definitely not a thing in CT especially with our towns taking up small areas.

And imagine if Weston and Easton folks never ventured out? Ha.
Yeah, exactly. Even when I lived in Branford, our church and my gym was in Guilford, my doctors were all in New Haven and North Haven, and my go-to grocery store was in East Haven. When I lived in Ridgefield, much the same. I was in Wilton or Danbury a few times a week while running errands.

When I lived in CA, aside from going to work, I never left town. Ever. There, I can see wanting to live in a town like Laguna Beach as opposed to neighboring Newport Beach since the latter is much more traditional and conservative. It’s also a further drive since the cities are much larger in land area, and sprawly. The same goes for much of the country. CT and the Northeast is just different.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:30 AM

18 posts, read 9,059 times
Quote:
One thing you have to remember is solely because you live in Darien (which, by the way, has the same percentage of Jews as in Weston), doesn’t mean you can’t cross town lines to involve yourself in organizations a few minutes down the road. The same goes for LGBT individuals. You can live in Darien but be 7 minutes from other LGBT friends in Stamford and Norwalk. Town lines aren’t barriers and most religious and social organizations aren’t restricted to community members only.

I don't think a single Jew in Fairfield County would agree that Darien has the same percentage as Weston... Not sure where you got that information from. Darien has 20,000ish people and no synagogue. That's always a good sign of a heavily Jewish population! Hahahaha

And yeah, definitely not the point. Again, my experience with people of various minority groups and LGBT is that they want to live in areas and send their kids to school where their situation is not unique.

Sure you can cross borders as everyone does around here... just like people in NYC go from neighborhood to neighborhood socially, to shop, eat, etc. However, there are neighborhoods (and towns) more comfortable for certain groups. I don't see why this is such a hard concept to grasp.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffldctyman View Post
I don't think a single Jew in Fairfield County would agree that Darien has the same percentage as Weston... Not sure where you got that information from. Darien has 20,000ish people and no synagogue. That's always a good sign of a heavily Jewish population! Hahahaha

And yeah, definitely not the point. Again, my experience with people of various minority groups and LGBT is that they want to live in areas and send their kids to school where their situation is not unique.

Sure you can cross borders as everyone does around here... just like people in NYC go from neighborhood to neighborhood socially, to shop, eat, etc. However, there are neighborhoods (and towns) more comfortable for certain groups. I don't see why this is such a hard concept to grasp.
It doesn’t matter whether they agree or not, it’s factually correct. Both towns are 2% Jewish.

It’s not a difficult concept to grasp. The point has been made. I’m suggesting to completely write off a tiny town that’s well located for their commute, and minutes from the other communities being suggested, is silly - especially seeing that the other communities being suggested over Darien certainly aren’t a haven for LGBT individuals.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:35 AM

18 posts, read 9,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I'm not sure how it is in Illinois but here SW CT personnel regularly cross town lines for dining, shopping, religion, private schools, whatever floats their boat.
I've never met or been made aware of individuals who won't attend religious services or dine out because they are in another town. YMMV

Agreed on all counts. I think the only mitigating factor would be public vs. private schools. If a child is in public school, you are more reliant upon the town itself for friends/sports/etc. - especially in the larger towns. If the child is in private school, he/she may end up more spread out with friends.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:38 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffldctyman View Post
Agreed on all counts. I think the only mitigating factor would be public vs. private schools. If a child is in public school, you are more reliant upon the town itself for friends/sports/etc. - especially in the larger towns. If the child is in private school, he/she may end up more spread out with friends.
Yes, that's perfectly normal.
However, Hiroko from Illinois had mentioned folks here want to avoid crossing town lines.
It's inaccurate and virtually impossible here in the Stub portion of CT.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:12 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,050 times
If you can crossover from Illinois into CT virtually, why can't Weston folks go to Westport!?

Can I get an Amen here folks!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut